Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Open Bar Hours of Operation

I'm looking for some opinions on how long we should run our open bar. Our ceremony is starting at 6 pm and our reception should start around 7. We're having a breakfast buffet ("brinner" since we're both huge fans), so I don't think I really want to have alcohol served right away with dinner. (Whiskey doesn't seem to mesh well in my mind with stuffed french toast.) We're also having an ice cream sundae bar later in the evening.

The lights are turned on at 11:30pm and the music must be turned off by 11:30 pm as well.

What I'm wondering is, how long should we run our open bar? I was thinking 7:30 to 10 or 10:30, since we have a hard stop of 11:30. Is this too early? Too late?

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Open Bar Hours of Operation

• Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would start the open bar as soon as the reception starts and close it around 11pm. 
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If the reception starts at 7pm, I would have the bar open from 7-11.  Just because you wouldn't want whiskey with your breakfast doesn't mean your guests won't!  Most people want drinks at a reception, regardless of the food so I would go ahead and have it open the entire time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whiskey, maybe not be your choice to have with breakfast, but since your reception is not taking place during breakfast hours I think you should have the bar open when your reception starts.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, since you are having a breafast meal, maybe you can offer mimosas and bloody mary's to your guests?

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the mimosas and bloody marys (or caesars, if you're so inclined). I also think the bar should be open the whole time the reception is on!
  • Options
    UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Open the bar when the reception starts and close it a half hour (or slightly more) before it ends to give people a chance to sober up before they drive home.  Ditto the idea of doing signature brunch-type drinks to fit with your breakfast theme...bellinis would be another fun one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the helpful hints, gals! :)
  • Options
    Jennifer133Jennifer133 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, since it only takes a half hour to sober up enough to drive...seriously?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards