Getting in Shape
Options

Plus size bride in need of some help....

I just got engaged in December and my wedding not till June 14, 2014. Normally I would be like super excited and that but one thing thats weighting on me is my weight... In highschool I lost 40 LBS before prom... My motivation - PROM DRESS but I was also in tennis, softball, and working out two nights a week the 6 months before. Now you would think i would be just as motivated with my WEDDING but for whatever reason I'm not... I really thought this would be the kick in the butt I need to get started but I've actually gained 5 LBS... I am a plus size girl and really don't wanna have to settle on a dress because its what I can get in my size but to get the dress I want... Any advice on what I can do to help get me started maybe?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Plus size bride in need of some help....

• Options
    I know this is going to be an unpopular answer, but... I found pictures of dresses I loved and put them on my computer desktop. It worked for a while, but then I started to tell myself that I didn't need that form-fitting dress. My fiance loves me no matter what, so I could just get a plus-sized dress.

Then I looked at the dress reviews on David's Bridal's website. You know how brides post pictures of themselves in the dress? I found some brides with my body type. I can see the way the love handles look in the dress, and I am more motivated to eat healthy foods and workout.

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey Kevsgirl!  Nice to see a fellow June 14 bride.  I'm not plus size but I am overweight according to the doctor.  The best thing I did was I signed up for a program (weight watchers) but there are free ones out there too like myfitnesspal and others.  It helps you watch your daily calorie intake.  When you want to snack on something go for fruits or veggies.  ALso when I joined weight watchers I went and found healthy recipes and stopped eating hamburger helper and things like that.  Salads are wonderful if you get fat free dressing just make sure you limit the dressing oh and salsa is a wonderful option for dressing.  Always put protein on salads or you will be hungry later.  Don't get discouraged.  I almost gave up but I looked at myself in a dress i tried on and I wasn't happy because it wasn't what I wanted.  Maybe do like PP and get a photo of the dress you want and take a picture of yourself now.  Another great idea is a pounds to go jar.  You get two jars and lable one with pounds to go and another with pounds lost forever.  Then whenever you lose you transfer marbles over.  It's a great way to visualize and when you start getting lots in it motivates you even more.  I know this was lots of randomness but it's late... Hope I helped.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you think it's because the date feels a bit far away?

Can you make a shorter term goal?  Maybe that will help.  Or get started on something for the wedding that will make it feel like you need to and are getting into wedding mode.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks girls, I do feel maybe with the date as far away as it is is part of the problem...  Idk just can't get up the energy to start...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have a friend or friends who are looking to lose weight as well?  Or maybe a gym near you where you could make friends with an instructor?  I was in the same boat as you 60 pounds ago (my journey of weight loss started WAY before my engagement).  I made friends with an instuctor at my gym who texts me to see where I am, whether I'm coming to class that day and I have a couple amazing friends who are always up for at least a walk.  :)  Best of luck and CONGRATS! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Instead of thinking about losing weight to look good in your dress, why don't you think about losing weight to be HEALTHY and live longer?  Maybe if it's something more serious like your health, you'll be motivated.  I hate when people just try to get skinny for a dress.  It's a lifestyle change, if you only focus on losing for a date you'll probably just gain it back right after.

Why don't you set a goal: to run a 5K, to complete a triathalon, etc - train for that - then once you complete it, set another one.  Start out small and work to bigger goals.  Maybe your first could be to walk a few miles a week.

Good luck on your journey!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You have some time here.  I would just focus on making small changes at first.  I tried to get my exercise routine down first because that's always been the hardest thing for me to stick to.  And once, I was working out regularly for a few weeks, I would start cleaning up my diet.  I find usually that I would start eating better while working out just because I didn't want y workouts to go to waste.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs...definitely make small changes first, and try to focus on changing your habits and your lifestyle, rather than losing a certain number.  I am in your same shoes, except my wedding is in 4 months, so the pressure is on for me!  Don't give up, and don't start shopping for a dress until you feel comfortable and happy with where you are physically...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_plus-size-bride-in-need-of-some-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:6287038b-9dc9-44b5-a38c-8a4c6d6e1a2aPost:fd0e9196-be5d-4f0d-ab69-85dfbf0f425f">Re: Plus size bride in need of some help....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PPs...definitely make small changes first, and try to focus on changing your habits and your lifestyle, rather than losing a certain number.  I am in your same shoes, except my wedding is in 4 months, so the pressure is on for me!  Don't give up, <strong>and don't start shopping for a dress until you feel comfortable and happy with where you are physically...</strong>
    Posted by rsaleh84[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this.  Perhaps if you go dress shopping, it might be the kick in the butt to lose the weight you want to lose. 

Also, many dresses can take up to 9 months to come in.  The longer you wait, the more you limit yourself.  A seamstress can generally take a dress in 2 sizes.  And if you get one with a corset back, that will help.

Don't shop super early, but don't put it off either. For me, buying my dress was the real motivator....I want to rock my dress and am determined to look fantastic in it!

ETA: I just noticed your wedding is 2 years away.  You have some time until dress shopping!  Focus on the small changes for now.
  • Options

It's going to be a lot harder to lose weight now then it was when you were in high school. So it's best to start slow and since you've got plenty of time, you are in no rush. Little things here and there will build and build to something amazing. I'd definitely enlist your FI to join you. When you have a workout buddy, and someone with the same goal and date in mind, you can motivate each other on the days you don't want to do anything. You can also work together on finding healthy meals and alternatives to what you are doing now. Calorie tracking is a really great place to start. Good luck!

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I think I can relate to you... I'm a PS bride too, but you wana know what? I went dress shopping Saturday just so I could get my possible size so I could order one online... the third dress I tried on, I took one look in the mirror and knew it was the one! I'm picking it up tomorrow :) It fit absolutely perfect, they don't need to make a single alteration, unless I lose weight (let's hope!) So don't let your hopes get down, focus on eating right, and excersise and your body will figure itself out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards