Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Experimental Themed FFF

So... in honor of Election day coming up next week.... would anyone like to discuss politics without getting flamed?   Hehe... if so, GO!

Re: Experimental Themed FFF

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have two things:

1.  How the hell is the voting public supposed to get real, factual information on candidates if I can't even find it?   The only information available to us is funded by people with an agenda (either for or against) the candidate.

2.  I fail to see how Democrats are helping people.  Putting us in deficit and taxing the crap out of us doesn't help the source of the problem.   As controversial as it may sound, we NEED to make the businesses and executives with fat wallets happy so they will begin hiring people again.  (..and hence.. decreasing the need to "help" people in need...)
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I will not vote for Rick Perry, I can't bring myself to vote for Bill White. 

I foresee another "Contract with America" moment on Tuesday. 

Thanks to the fact that she got sick before Obamacare came into play, my mom did get her surgery.  While it didn't work out the way we wanted, we would not have even had that option to try to save her if we were in the midst of Obamacare. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:c40ae78c-904a-44e5-ac6a-cb9c2974436d">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I will not vote for Rick Perry, I can't bring myself to vote for Bill White. 
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  This is who I was trying to get real information on.  It is pretty much non existent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think Rick Perry is in it for Texas.  He is definitely in it for himself and his cronies.  While I am not a fan of Tx Tech, I can't believe that one of his aides actually called a board member when he decided to support KBH and told him he should remember who put him in his position.

I don't like the idea of sanctuary at all but I know that, after sitting in all these educational finance meetings and possibly losing my job even though my small program is thriving, I can't sit around and let these state elected officials not pass something better for education.  Perry cares nothing for education. 
  • Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think both sides are so jaded. It KILLS me that we are in such a budget deficet however BOTH candidates are spending millions on campaigning. The 30 sec commercials that are nothing but high school like trash talking will not sway my opinion on either...so why are they spending all this money on them instead of putting it into the State they "claim" to want to help

I hate politics!!! EVERY single person in politics is corrupt Yell
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think there should be a test people have to take to be allowed to vote.  Too many ignorant people out there voting for things they have absolutely no clue about!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think these "officials" want to be elected to have the title...president...or govenor. Deep down they could give a rats booty about it and not do anything.
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:0e120356-7806-47e6-ab28-a4c8747266b6">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think there should be a test people have to take to be allowed to vote.  Too many ignorant people out there voting for things they have absolutely no clue about!
    Posted by lacy1603[/QUOTE]

AMEN times 102389742987
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll be ready for the election to be over because I'm so sick of ALL of the negative commericals... although the one I saw on the news with the guy who "kicks children in the face" did get a chuckle out of me. (not running in texas)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]although the one I saw on the news with the guy who "kicks children in the face" did get a chuckle out of me. (not running in texas)
    Posted by llc2011[/QUOTE]

This!

Crazy Canadians
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I try to keep my mouth shut on politics unless I know my audience well... Partially because I tend to make people mad.
    Also, I am currently working on my MA in Political Science... THAT will make you jaded :)  And it's not the best venue for debating policy...

I think our governor's race this year is a bummer - I think we were left with poor choices due to a long combination of events (I've heard a lot about this and can shed some light if anyone is interested) -
    Alas, I made my personal mini-statement by voting a straight R ticket.
    Businesses and individuals know better how to use their own money than the government - and if they keep it (instead of being taxed to oblivion) the economy will recover.

Oh, and I hope to be a local candidate in a couple years :)
    (or work for a candidate/campaign in the near future)
    I promise I give a rat's booty!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Diana -  I <3 you already.   I will vote for you some day.
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am so sick of Rick Perry being in office.  I completely agree with the above statements that he is in it for himself and his buddies.  However, I wonder about Bill White too.  I know he did suport Houston being a 'sanctuary city' and I would have to see him do the same for the state of Texas.  On the other hand, Rick Perry hasn't done much either in regards to illegal immigration except hand the president a letter as he deboarded a plane.

I am REALLY tired of hearing about all the 'job growth' and 'job creation'.  All you are doing is creating GOVERNMENT jobs which is suported by our taxes!  The more goverment jobs you have, and the less capital jobs you have, means that soon you will have no one working outside the government to pay for all these jobs.

Drop the taxes, drop your spending, and let the businesses spend again.  They are closing their pocketbooks right now because they are scared of all your programs (Obamacare, Cap & trade, etc). 

Oh, now I'm all fired up... but thanks Tiffany for starting this thread so I can vent.
    Our last sunset in Hawaii...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I also can't believe that people still vote for crooked politicians like Rangel in NYC and EBJ here in Dallas.  They lied to you, they stole from your district.  HELLO!!!! 

• Options
    bellagracebellagrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love how everyone loves to talk about how high taxes are and about candidates that say they will drop them. Remember we have the lowest taxes of most countries. I understand not wanting the government to support people. But, wanting it run like a business is not the solution either. Keep in mind the reason people are good in business is because they only care about the bottom line and not people. That can be good for the most people, but considering how wealth is spread out in this country most people won't benefit. The solution is something in the middle but with our two party system we will never see that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I don't think that a business being successful means that it doesn't care about it's employees or customers.  My mom worked for a wonderful insurance company that made money after 9/11 and Katrina and she was treated very well.  They are not mutually exclusive. 

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not saying they don't always look out for their workers, but many don't. I think we need a solution outside of what are choices are that we have right now. Remember before Obama, the republicans ran this country. So you can't simply say having republicans that are pro business will insure financial security.
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    I know we're on the governer talk right now... but I'm just gonna throw this out there...

I love me some George W.  I don't care what anyone thinks about it either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:1a62ff85-090d-4dbf-9486-775babd57cb0">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I  love me some George W.  I don't care what anyone thinks about it either.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

..and this is one of the many reasons why I love you Brianna!  This and pink elephants. Totally.
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:639046d4-292f-4863-8102-49cd190270b8">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Experimental Themed FFF : ..and this is one of the many reasons why I love you Brianna!  This and pink elephants. Totally.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Thank you Tiffany - and yet another reason for some Tiff-love too!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am the most jaded cynical person on earth when it comes to politics.  I  have completely given up and it's all I can do to force myself to vote every 4 years for a president.  Had I never seen the movie The Patriot, I probably wouldn't.  I don't trust any candidate, I don't believe anything they say, and I think they have their own (or their party's) iinterests at heart, not the country's.  It's not about what is best for the country, it's all about we're right and you're wrong, our way is the best, yours will ruin the country.  So let's don't even bother to try and get anything accomplished or support the man that the voters of this country actually put into office.  And don't even get me started on those tea partiers.  The ignorant, biased, vicious garbage they spew scares the crap out of me because people are actually listening to it.  My daughter said to me the other night, "When people ask me if I am a Republican or a Democrat, I say 'I'm an American.'"  That is exactly how I feel and I couldn't have said it better myself.  I can't be anything else because I've completely stopped believing in or trusting any of it.

Sad but true. ITA with bellagrace--we need something better than what we have now but we'll probably never see it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:c40ae78c-904a-44e5-ac6a-cb9c2974436d">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE] Thanks to the fact that she got sick before Obamacare came into play, my mom did get her surgery.  While it didn't work out the way we wanted, we would not have even had that option to try to save her if we were in the midst of Obamacare. 

This is a question not a flame.  Why/how would "Obamacare" (I'm assuming you mean the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, but if not, let me know) have removed the option of trying to save your mom?  I'm ignorant about which part of the act would do this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Brianna,
    I got to meet him at A&M when he was governor and I really liked him.  He was very personable and friendly and I think he was at least trying to do something about education.  Unlike others who said they wanted to but then didn't.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stephanie I totally agree with your statement. That is spot on with how Americans should be, except everyone wants to bash the other (Obamacare or whatever they say about the tea party). Instead of saying republicans are all about money or say democrats are about higher taxes, why not look at the big pictures. Things are really bad right now and the only way things will get fixed is if people work together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:3f78a1e0-5866-41f4-8db9-3316906e8bce">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Experimental Themed FFF : This is a question not a flame.  Why/how would "Obamacare" (I'm assuming you mean the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, but if not, let me know) have removed the option of trying to save your mom?  I'm ignorant about which part of the act would do this.
    Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]

She would have been put through lots of other tests and then made to wait while possibly suffering other strokes.  Her surgeon would probably not have been allowed to do the surgery on her either because of all the extra hoops he would have had to jump through.  He was from Ireland he said that it probably might not have been performed over there either.  Some day, this surgery will work and save lives.  It might not have worked on my mom but I would like for it to be an option for every other person out there some day. 
  • Options
    dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'll throw a couple mini-flames in:
    -there are protests by liberal organizations all the time, but when conservatives does it they are considered "bad" - the media has truly given them a bad rap for the most part and misconstrued the message - seeing as though overall it is not a centrally organized (a handful of groups have worked to "organize" it but as a nationwide movement, there is no official leadership), with a general message of conservatism (not necessarily party affiliated either).
    (written as someone who has followed the Tea Party movement, and even attended a couple events)
    -people organizing and attending a protest against a former Pres. G W Bush at UNT - after he was hired by the university to speak there... HE ISN'T THE PRESIDENT ANYMORE - He was hired to go there - write the school if you have a problem with it.
    -Just because other countries do it, doesn't mean we should.

Okie doke - I'll leave it alone now :)

Thanks, Tiffany :)
    ...and YAY Brianna :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I am the most jaded cynical person on earth when it comes to politics.  I  have completely given up and it's all I can do to force myself to vote every 4 years for a president.  Had I never seen the movie The Patriot, I probably wouldn't.  I don't trust any candidate, I don't believe anything they say, and I think they have their own (or their party's) iinterests at heart, not the country's.  It's not about what is best for the country, it's all about we're right and you're wrong, our way is the best, yours will ruin the country.  So let's don't even bother to try and get anything accomplished or support the man that the voters of this country actually put into office.  And don't even get me started on those tea partiers.  The ignorant, biased, vicious garbage they spew scares the crap out of me because people are actually listening to it.  My daughter said to me the other night, "When people ask me if I am a Republican or a Democrat, I say 'I'm an American.'"  That is exactly how I feel and I couldn't have said it better myself.  I can't be anything else because I've completely stopped believing in or trusting any of it. Sad but true. ITA with bellagrace--we need something better than what we have now but we'll probably never see it.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

THIS exactly!!  Well said Stephie!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:3090e1ec-c29f-4aaf-b597-162b79234d01">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Experimental Themed FFF : She would have been put through lots of other tests and then made to wait while possibly suffering other strokes.  Her surgeon would probably not have been allowed to do the surgery on her either because of all the extra hoops he would have had to jump through.  He was from Ireland he said that it probably might not have been performed over there either.  Some day, this surgery will work and save lives.  It might not have worked on my mom but I would like for it to be an option for every other person out there some day. 

Okay, thanks for clarifying.  I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I really don't understand what extra hoops the PPACA creates.  I don't mean to be disrespectful, and I'm so sorry about your mom and that she was in that position to begin with.  And I agree that if this is a surgery that will help people, it should definitely be made available. This is just a really strong claim that you're making (the one about Obama preventing this surgery for people), and I'm not sure what the evidence is for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will also say that I am tired of hearing the people in power blame those who used to be in power.  You're in charge now.  You get the glory and you take the blame.
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_experimental-themed-fff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66161d15-b6f9-4814-a88b-20cf2815948aPost:7c4f0f6a-a78f-484c-97a7-e8736ae78305">Re: Experimental Themed FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll throw a couple mini-flames in: -there are protests by liberal organizations all the time, but when conservatives does it they are considered "bad" - the media has truly given them a bad rap for the most part and misconstrued the message - seeing as though overall it is not a centrally organized (a handful of groups have worked to "organize" it but as a nationwide movement, there is no official leadership), with a general message of conservatism (not necessarily party affiliated either). (written as someone who has followed the Tea Party movement, and even attended a couple events) -people organizing and attending a protest against a former Pres. G W Bush at UNT - after he was hired by the university to speak there... HE ISN'T THE PRESIDENT ANYMORE - He was hired to go there - write the school if you have a problem with it. -Just because other countries do it, doesn't mean we should. Okie doke - I'll leave it alone now :) Thanks, Tiffany :) ...and YAY Brianna :)
    Posted by dianaslik[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

My problem with the presidency is the lack of respect.  I am so tired of hearing "respect my President" (regarding Obama)... but the same people completely disrespect Bush.  I get it, people take their sides and that's okay.. that's the beauty of America.  But, no matter what "side" your on, a President is a President and deserves respect... even in its simpliest forms. 

I will give "your president" the same respect you gave "mine". 

I would also like to say that a "perfect" president is as common as a "perfect person"... there's no such thing.  I think that given what Bush knew and what he had to work with.. he did a great job. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards