Wedding Party
Options

DDs

So I just had a slight meltdown on the "bride wants a big shower" thread on M&M because the OP posted a question, got two responses, then DD'd, then proceeded to get called out by something like 10 people for DDing.  It was something like her first post.

My first reaction was that the bride is probably a TK user and she wanted to delete what she wrote so the bride wouldn't see it.  If it was her first post she may not have known to say "I"ll probably DD so don't quote me."  To me, it seemed over the line to call her out THAT much.  It seemed disproportionate to the "crime."

I know I'm in the minority on DDs, but maybe on this board (and M&M, which pretty much all of us visit) we could hold off on the "Bad OP!  DDs are BAD!" responses in a situation like this?  As I said on M&M, it's one thing if the OP posts a terrible idea, gets responses to that effect, then proceeds to have a big meltdown then DD.  That annoys me too.  But something like this?  Not quite worth it, IMHO, and I think it's alienating to new posters who really haven't done anything wrong; they just don't know the ropes.

If I'm completely off my rocker, please feel free to tell me so.
Courtesy of megk8oz
"I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.

Re: DDs

• Options

DD's usually don't bug me, like in the case above, where it's clearly their first post and they might not know "netiquette" yet.

But when it's somebody who has even 50 posts (So they have a general idea of how the Knot works), and they go down in a blaze of "You don't know me!" and "I feel sorry for your husbands!" and then try to DD everything, I get pissed.

I usually won't call somebody out for a DD, unless it was a hot mess and they were quoted ... in which case, I will just say "Honey, you got quoted. So deleting isn't going to save you" if nobody else has.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Oh yeah, whether you have 1 post or 10,000, if you act like a petulant brat you deserve to be called out.  But just DDing after two responses and having only a handful of posts themselves...10 different people saying "You shouldn't DD, you got great advice, that's so rude" really seems like overkill to me.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    agree, brooke.  That's why I've started telling newbies the "netiquette" around here instead of just haranguing them about the DD.  I think when it's someone with only a couple of posts, they just don't know their way around yet.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I was just curious as to why.  I guess Trix and I posted at the same time.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Brooke, I get the sense that you don't like people being called out in general unless it's for a real reason, like calling someone a name or making fun of someone's fiance. I agree with you though. Sometimes, people don't know the netiquette. 
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options

Yeah, I really don't get the point of jumping down somebody's throat when they DD a "harmless" thread. I think most people are so used to DDs being because the OP took her ball and went home ... but I think some new people really might just think "Ok, got the answer to my question. Moving on then", they aren't mad at us, they just figure there's no point in the post being up anymore.

Which, considering that nobody actually lurks anyway, I don't really see the problem in DD-ing a thread about how to plan a shower or something ... somebody's going to ask the question whether or not they see 600 posts with the title "How do I plan a shower?" on the board.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess that's a fair point.  I consider calling someone out the online equivalent of finger-pointing and yelling in front of a crowd of strangers and friends IRL.  I guess I feel like it bums everyone out and humiliates the person.  I also think it needs to be "earned."  The nicest thing about this board is that it's very welcoming of newbies relative to other major ones on TK; many of us became regs through this board and have stayed here because of the atmosphere.  Why betray that by basically pushing people out for what are, truly, minor infractions?

Like I said, if I'm completely off about this, or if everyone wants to tell me to go to hell, they'll post how they like, feel free.  I obviously have no control over anyone, and I'm in no position of power.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:0d060ba2-452a-4304-9455-627df8ffdbffPost:12e9fbca-4e97-4c9d-8eb2-a9cbba1ba692">Re: DDs</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW - I think that poster also posted on CC about "how to delete a post."  I informed her about the standard netiquette, so hopefully she'll realize not to do it again, or at least to warn people ahead of time.
    Posted by tidetravel[/QUOTE]

Yup, you are correct Tide. It just seems  like there have been so many DD's recently. That is why I have started quoting a lot more.
  • Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:0d060ba2-452a-4304-9455-627df8ffdbffPost:f1109e04-b54e-4f75-ad5b-39f88068537d">Re: DDs</a>:
    [QUOTE]The title and responses suggest that the bride wants a big shower, the OP shouldn't have to throw a shower beyond her means, and that while the bride can give her requests, if it's not something she can do, she shouldn't do it (no one quoted it but that's my guess).  Then the DD.  Now maybe she was really a brat in the post, but since none of the responses suggest as much, I get the feeling she either thought, "Great, that's what I thought," or "Oh crap, my friend might see this, I'd better delete it."
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

Her original post wasn't snotty at all. I see what you mean, I think a lot of people were asking about the DD at the same time, which made it seem as if everyone was jumping on her.

I've noticed this was happening (DDing) on a few boards lately which is why I commented. Although to be honest I didn't look at her post count to see if she was new and didn't know it's nice to let us know she's planning to delete.

That said I stand by my opinion that I find DDing annoying.
  • Options
    Maybe "bullying" is too harsh a word, that's a good point.  But a number of people did start with the "Why did you DD?" right away, and I guess saying it at all, or more than one person saying it, seemed like a lot given the situation.  As I've said, I know I'm in the minority on this and probably have no business saying anything; as we always say, it's an open board and you can't control what others do.  But I do know if that had been my first or second post and people had reacted like that, I would have thought twice about coming back, and I guess I'm trying to be [overly?] sensitive to that.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options

I don't think that "Why did you DD?" is a question that would drive people away, especially in that context.  And, even if she hadn't posted the other thread about how to delete a post, she was still informed about why one shouldn't DD in the first place.  

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I will say that DD became way less of a grievance of mine once TK fixed it so the entire thread wouldn't disappear with it and actual quoting was enabled.

In the days where entire threads would go "poof" once the OP had enough, I used to be livid about it-regardless of if somebody was "new" or not. I've become way more forgiving since the format change.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:0d060ba2-452a-4304-9455-627df8ffdbffPost:278b9d35-7d3d-4d5e-bc5f-05b95aaf13e0">Re: DDs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will say that DD became way less of a grievance of mine once TK fixed it so the entire thread wouldn't disappear with it and actual quoting was enabled. In the days where entire threads would go "poof" once the OP had enough,<strong> I used to be livid about it-regardless of if somebody was "new" or not. I've become way more forgiving since the format change.</strong>
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]
    Me too.  They never bothered me to the extent they bothered other people, but the format change did help.  It bothered me when they said we couldn't repost DDs because it was the OP's right to delete the thread, yet responders didn't retain the right to not delete their own responses.  The format change was a great compromise.  And the quoting feature is fun.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:0d060ba2-452a-4304-9455-627df8ffdbffPost:1f4e25af-b049-40ff-93dd-c7df93246034">Re: DDs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confused.  What is "DD"?  I thought it was Dear Daughter.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

Dirty Delete

Basically just when the OP deletes her original post.
  • Options
    Thennnn you get the girl a few posts down who called her SIL stupid a dozen times in her post, and deleted it when we told her what we thought. Which is actually funny because she didn't get flamed the way I really felt she should have for being so nasty about someone she was considering asking to be her bridesmaid. Those people? They kinda deserve to get heckled. Girls who delete not knowing any better? I agree, Brooke, no point in getting all upset about it, but also no harm in kindly pointing out that in the future, it's not a great thing to do. I would want to be told if I was doing something that wasn't good manners on the forums.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards