Jewish Weddings
Options

Wedding Bands

I am kind of torn on what to do about wedding bands.  I really like the idea of a ring with stones that matches my e-ring.  I also really like the idea of the solid band that is common in Jewish tradition.  Assuming it is within my budget, do you think if it's OK to get 2 bands?  I would use the plain one for the ceremony and then either wear with the e-ring and other band all on my left hand, or wear it on my right hand with the other band on my left.

If I choose to wear them both on my left, which one should be closer to my heart?  The plain one or the one with stones?

If I can't afford both bands, I will just a plain one.
Anniversary

Re: Wedding Bands

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What we're probably going to do (and what some relatives have done) is borrow a solid band from a family member (or friend) and use that for the ceremony.

The cantor that's performing our wedding said that if we do this and I have a band with stones, when he comes to the room after the ceremony to give us the wedding certificate, etc, he'll do a blessing over my wedding band and I'll wear my real one the rest of the evening/my life.  The solid one would just be for the ceremony itself.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about wearing the one used in the ceremony on your right index finger? Since that's the finger he'll put the ring on anyway, you could get one that fits there and continue to wear it, then wear your ring with stones on your left hand.

My FSIL converted a few years after she and her H got married.  They had a Jewish ceremony and she wears that band on her right index finger now.

I thought the ring used at the ceremony  had to be one the groom owned.  You may want to check with your rabbi before borrowing one, if you decide to go that route.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ciara, I thought about wearing the solid band on my right hand.  But I would wear it on my ring finger since I find it uncomfortable to wear rings on my index finger.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought 2 bands. One band matches my ering and I wear it on my left hand in the traditional wedding band spot and the other is the band that we used in the ceremony and is just plain white gold. I wear that band on my right hand and I don't think it looks weird at all. I actually love wearing them since the both have such special meaning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and my plain and only cost $50, so they are definently affordable.
  • Options
    shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_wedding-bands-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:b545291a-bf75-4d9d-a410-7f4735389781Post:611f9cb5-f3f0-44c3-8bec-3bc67318286f">Re: Wedding Bands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and my plain and only cost $50, so they are definently affordable.
    Posted by october010bride[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for your input.  I think that is what I am leaning toward  I saw a 14k white gold band at Kay for $60 so it should be doable to get both bands.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks everyone!</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_wedding-bands-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:b545291a-bf75-4d9d-a410-7f4735389781Post:d27c60d2-f2a0-456f-bf07-eba09eb00d91">Re: Wedding Bands</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about wearing the one used in the ceremony on your right index finger? Since that's the finger he'll put the ring on anyway, you could get one that fits there and continue to wear it, then wear your ring with stones on your left hand. My FSIL converted a few years after she and her H got married.  They had a Jewish ceremony and she wears that band on her right index finger now. I thought the ring used at the ceremony  had to be one the groom owned.  You may want to check with your rabbi before borrowing one, if you decide to go that route.
    Posted by ciaraman[/QUOTE]

I've had a few family members, and FI's family has done this and those weddings were in different states years apart, so I don't think it's an issue.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a vague memory that the way around the groom owning the ring is that the groom "buys" the ring for a dollar from, for example, the bride's mother (or whoever they're borrowing it from) and then the bride "sells" it back for that same dollar. I'm pretty sure my sister did this when she got married -- she used my mom's plain band for the ceremony and then put her diamond band on afterwards.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted a plain band but it didn't really match my ering. So I bought a band with diamonds which I will wear with my ering on my left hand during the ceremony. We are using a plain band from FI's family (which both his mother and aunt were married with) for the ceremonial ring. That one will be placed on my index finger. I am also planning on purchasing a cheap plain band for when we travel/I don't want to wear a fancy ring.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After some discussions my mother gave us my grandmothers band who si no longer with us . We will use this for the ceremony and because the engagement ring was hers as well it will be nice to have these to pass down. During the yichud room i will give my fiancee her diamond band.  So perhaps as some suggested getting one from a family member would be a nice meaningful addition to the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards