Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wedding Dessert Bar question

So I'm having a dessert bar at my reception instead of dinner ( having a late night wedding) but i have some questions and would love some ideas. =)1. What are some good desserts to have?2. At max we are having about 80 people coming about how many desserts do you think i should have?TIA!

Re: Wedding Dessert Bar question

• Options
    My personal opinion is that in addition to the typical desserts you should also offer a cheese bar, etc. (think french with grapes, crackers), to offer guests something a little more substantial I think for desserts I would go with fruit tarts, eclairs, brownie bars, mini cheesecakes, lemon bars, etc. All finger foods that you can easily eat while standing, talking, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love the cheese bar idea! And the dessert ideas too. =D Thank you!
  • Options
    As far as non-dessert options go, stick to fruit and cheese only. When you start adding veggie platters, mini sandwiches, and the like, it is no longer a dessert reception.You're only limited by your imagination and budget as far as what to serve. What are your favorite desserts? What do you guests like? They don't have to all be finger-foods. Cake certainly isn't and most of the choices that people gravitate toward at other dinner events have to be eaten with forks or spoons.Some ideas:CheesecakesPies/cobblersFruit platters with dipping sauces (chocolate/caramel/Cool Whip) as opposed to fountains which splatter and create messesFruit salads/jello saladsChocolate mousseTiramisu (can be served in small portions)Fruit empanadasCookies/brownies/barsTrufflesCream puff bitesAnd the list goes onFor 80 guests, I would have a good sized amount/variety for them to choose from. If you're going through a caterer, they can tell you how much to order. If you are doing this on your own, I would definitely have enough so that each person can take at least one piece of each thing. Some people won't touch certain things, which makes it balance out. It's better to have too much than to run out. Avoid alcohol if you are serving only sweets because the sugar they are consuming on an empty stomach, combined with the alcohol will make it enter the blood stream much faster, making people drunk immediately and many of them sick. Also, not everyone likes the taste combination of sweets and alcohol.
  • Options
    I agree with pp, I'd like to see a few light things to eat other than dessert because some of your guests (myself included) won't eat multiple desserts. Cheese/cracker platter, fruit platter, and/or a veggie platter would be good.But to answer your question... Cookies (chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, snickerdoodles etc) mini cheesecakes, brownies, petit fours, pie...And my favorite idea is a make your own sundae bar! 
  • Options
    Mini everything mini cupcakes mini cheesecake 2 bite browniessmall cookiestrufflesmini cannolimini strawberry shortcake moose shots
  • Options
    Wow, you all have been a great help! I have a much better picture and idea in my head now. I love the idea of having every thing mini! And i have a better ball park with how much i need to make plus i will just the idea of having a few fruit plants and cheese plates. =)You all are amazing! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards