Canada-Ontario
Options

Catholic Churches

Hello,

We would like to get married in a Catholic Church preferably in downtown Toronto.

Problem is that I am not a member of any congregation as my home church is where I grew up.  I have always attended churches that were close to my house.  

My question to anyone that can help me is if they know of a church that will take on a new member but will also reserve a date for our marriage.  I am not opposed to becoming a member of a church.  I have called a couple of churches and it seems you have to a member for a year but can only reserve dates six months out.  I know there has to be a church starving for members as religion is dying out.

Any info would be appreciated. 

Re: Catholic Churches

• Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to St. Patrick's at Dundas & McCaul.  We didn't attend church regularly (we both did before we moved to the city), but started to go when we got engaged because we really needed a push to start going again.  We approached the priest after only a few weeks attending and were completely honest about our lack of attendance in the past few years other than religious holidays.  He agreed to marry us without many questions at all.  His name was Father Mick.

We continued to go throughout the year, and after we got married, but now we are looking for a new church since we moved - it's too far from us now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for this info,  I feel much better now and will be attending church this coming Sunday!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go to the Newman Centre at St. George & Harbord. It's the Catholic chaplaincy centre for U of T so they are always open to new members. Despite the fact that a lot of the members are students who aren't necessarily registered in the parish, the community has a very tight knit, warm vibe. Come to mass sometime (11am or 7pm)... DH and I are in the morning choir Wink (though we've cut back our commitments for now with baby on the way). Just a heads up if you're interested in checking out the parish... we have a big party for Pentecost every year!

A friend of mine is getting married at St. Basil's at Bay & St. Joseph, and I'm pretty sure she's not actually a member. It's part of St. Michael's College at U of T, and the church itself is beautiful and has an organ if you prefer more traditional music.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just another heads up... generally, you'll probably have better luck if you attend mass and then talk to the parish office in person about weddings, rather than calling and asking directly about weddings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards