Catholic Weddings
Options

Opening hymn

Our parish requires us to have an opening hymn to all sing together, and I don't even know where to start looking for one. Does anyone know of a good wedding hymn?

Re: Opening hymn

• Options
    ChihuahuaGolfChihuahuaGolf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using "Come as You Are" by Fr. Paul Gurr, as did my sister. "Come as you are, that's how I love you Come as you are, feel quite at home Close to my heart, loved and forgiven Come as you are, why stand alone" I was planning to use "Hosea" by Gregory Norbert for the signing of the register, but it would also be a lovely opening hymn. "Long have I waited for your coming, Home to me and living and living, deeply our new lives." They are both about forgiveness, and God's love being there for you no matter what. I think that's a wonderful message for a wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it has to be a "wedding" hymn specifically.  Any hymn talking about love seems like it would be appropriate to me.We used "O, the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" as our processional/opening hymn.  Others that come to mind are "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" (which we used at the offering of the gifts), as well as "O Father, All Creating."Borrow a hymnal from your parish and start flipping through it, or ask the music director what hymns other couples use.
  • Options
    tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The chapel we're using sent us a list of gathering/closing hymns:  Canticle of the Sun, All the Ends of the Earth, Glory and praise to our God, Joyful We Adore You, Sing a new Song, Your are the voice, Lift up your hearts, for the beauty of the earht, for you are my God, Lord of the Dance, We are called, morning has broken. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe a little old fashioned, but I'm going with "Come Holy Ghost," mostly for the opening line Come Holy Ghost, Creator Blessed - and in our hearts take up thy rest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    so many good suggestions!!  I just wanted to say that(:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions!! I'll definitely check these out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards