Options

Full mass or no?

2»

Re: Full mass or no?

• Options
    rombacjarombacja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    let he without sin be the first to cast a stone. just saying.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    trust me, ill be spending plenty of time in purgatory when my time comes - if i'm lucky enough to get there rather than straight to the place down south!
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a difference between judging the state of someone's soul and judging actions as right or wrong. The Church tells us certain actions are wrong. Certain public officials very openly and conspicuously flout Church teaching and then receive Communion, as Calypso alluded to. There is absolutely nothing wrong with condemning those actions, and in fact we may be obliged to do so out of charity (since Scripture tells us that to receive unworthily is to eat and drink death upon oneself.)  Not the same thing as attempting to discern the state of someone else's soul. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    rombacjarombacja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    But then no American in politics would ever be able to accept communion seeing as how one party supports abortion and the other party supports the death penalty.

And I stand by the no judging policy. There's a lot of gray area out there that allows Catholics to be hypocritical and judgemental. You can work for justice and reform without judgement. No one knows except the individual and the Lord if they are unworthy to receive communion.
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    edited December 2011
    A politician could identify as a Democrat and yet cast pro-life votes. We are talking about people who actively seek to promote pro-abortion policies while claiming to be Catholic. Also, I'd encourage you to read up on what the Church teaches on abortion (never justifiable under any circumstance) vs. the death penalty (sometimes justifiable depending on circumstances--similar to war.)

Sorry for contributing to taking this off-track
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    rombacjarombacja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor. If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people‘s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the dignity of the human person." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, 2267)

Tell me when in the United States we would have to impose the death penalty to defend human lives instead of life in prison? I understand my teachings. Killing is wrong. Judging is wrong too. There are many reasons why Catholics are not attending mass these days. One reason is because they feel judged by "good Catholics".
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    well, i think its a breakdown in our judicial system.

if life in prison meant life in prison, rather than life in prison then out in 7 years for good behavior, then yes, that makes sense.  some sentences are given as life sentences with no chance for parole.  im not sure why ALL life sentences arent issued without parole. 

and i guess when i look at the political scene, it seems that people will lobby very vocally for or against abortion.  people do this for the death penalty too, but it doesnt seem to be as heated or as vocal/public.  there are many politicians that i honestly would have no idea whether they support DP or not.   however, it is VERY clear to me which ones support abortion.
  • Options
    Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_full-mass?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:72615c39-3648-46db-93d6-84e846bc4c6dPost:91e760c3-1a9d-4813-8aef-87b7ed3ca4e4">Re: Full mass or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE] let he without sin be the first to cast a stone. just saying.
    Posted by rombacja[/QUOTE]

Everyone always points out that line from the Holy Scriptures, and it is, of course, extremely important!  But what rarely gets mentioned is what our Redeemer said afterwards:

<em><strong>"Go, and sin no more."</strong></em>

:-)

Just saying. 
  • Options
    jlq2005jlq2005 member
    edited December 2011
    Well, back to the topic that this post was originally made for ...

My FI and I are having a full mass. I was born & raised Catholic, and am active in my faith. My FI comes to Mass with me every Sunday, and has just started RCIA classes this past week, and will be baptized on the Easter Vigil Mass this year. 
    Both of our families are Catholic, so most people in attendance will be Catholics, and I don't feel that they would be 'left out' by us having Mass. 
    :)

Good luck making your decision.  Pray, it helped us .. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Full mass, and my honey is converting from Greek Orthodox. :)

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeaaah, back on topic...
    My FI and I are having the full English Mass. Only a small handfull of the guests that we're inviting aren't Catholic, and one way or another it really doesn't matter to me. I wanted the Mass because we were both raised in the Church, and I want us to be married there as well.
  • Options
    futurepivkofuturepivko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We decided to not do the full mass. i didnt want to sit in my dress. i didnt want to do the sit stand sit stand, etc. Also, it was because of the length. also, everyone who is attending is not Catholic. In fact, Matt has an uncle, aunt and cousins who are Jewish! We wanted everyone to feel comfortable. It was also because of the length of the full mass
  • Options
    leslieannlsuleslieannlsu member
    edited December 2011
    We're not having a full mass... when we first met with our priest for our pre-marriage counseling he asked if we were doing a full mass, and I said yes I would like to do so. He then told me that weddings after 4pm (we are having a 7pm ceremony) usually don't have a full mass. He jokingly told me my guests would be getting hungry. LOL - My heart isn't broken, we're still receiving the sacrament of Holy Matrimony... just without a mass.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards