Connecticut
Options

Some questions: Dress shop/contracts

Hi!

So I have a couple of questions and would really apprecate some help.

1)      Dress shopping: I know someone who is willing to make it for me.  I’m not looking for anything fancy so it’s not a big deal whether or not it’s designer.  But I do know the kind of style I like and would like to try them on to see how they look on me.  I am wondering if anyone can recommend to me a few stores around Hartford area that won’t have a problem if I try on their dresses and not buy anything from them.  I am thinking of David’s Bridal and then I saw an older post that mentioned Mariella’s?  I like Destinations by Maggie Sottero or Venus Informal, anyone know any stores that carry those?

2)      Contracts: I will be signing my first contract this weekend (it’s a venue contract)!  I am wondering if anyone can give tips on what to watch out for besides the regular stuff (get everything in writing, liability insurance, liquor license, charge per person, itemized list, etc etc)?

Really appreciate it!

Re: Some questions: Dress shop/contracts

• Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_questions-dress-shopcontracts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:690e39b8-55cf-4755-accf-d90ff10a1706Post:a251f937-e580-491f-8aa1-7f14c62f2656">Some questions: Dress shop/contracts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! So I have a couple of questions and would really apprecate some help. 1)       Dress shopping: I know someone who is willing to make it for me.   I’m not looking for anything fancy so it’s not a big deal whether or not it’s designer.   But I do know the kind of style I like and would like to try them on to see how they look on me.   I am wondering if anyone can recommend to me a few stores around Hartford area that won’t have a problem if I try on their dresses and not buy anything from them.   I am thinking of David’s Bridal and then I saw an older post that mentioned Mariella’s?   I like Destinations by Maggie Sottero or Venus Informal, anyone know any stores that carry those?   2<strong>)       Contracts: I will be signing my first contract this weekend (it’s a venue contract)!   I am wondering if anyone can give tips on what to watch out for besides the regular stuff (get everything in writing, liability insurance, liquor license, charge per person, itemized list, etc etc)?   Really appreciate it!
    </strong>Posted by wrdgirl[/QUOTE]

Yes, just make sure to get everything I mean everything you want written down! It makes it that much easier! Just the obvious things...making sure you know what the gratuity & tax situation is, etc., as well as liability, if they require deposits and the schedule, if they require vendors to be there at a certain time, etc.

GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    re: the dress stores, you don't need to tell them upfront that you won't be buying it there. I think most stores know that they won't make a sale on every appointment, even if that is their ultimate goal. So many brides do not buy their dress at the first store they go to. You could always tell them that you need to go home and sleep on it. When I went with one of my BMs to look at dresses I knew I would be ordering them from NetBride to save money, but I just told the salesperson that I wanted to send pictures of the dress options to the rest of the bridesmaids before ordering. But many consultants do get paid on commission so remember that the time you take with your appointment, knowing you won't buy, is keeping them from making other sales. David's might be a good place since you don't seem to need a ton of customer service.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue has these huge glass windows and when we were there to sign our contract, the windows and side of the building were really dirty from leaves/twigs due to a storm. Being the picky groom that FI is he made them put in the contract that they will power wash the exterior no more than two weeks before the big day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards