Florida-Central Florida
Options

Wasted?

So today my dad surprised me by saying we are getting a full bar. This caught me off guard because dad was completely against us having alcohol at all at the wedding because he didn't want it to turn into a drunken frat party, so we compromised on beer and wine only. But now he's had a change of heart and we're having liquor too! 

Problem is, I have one groomsmen who has already apologized in advance for getting wasted at the reception. We told him that he can drink as much as he wants, but asked that he be at least under control enough to not be completely obvious. He is extremely loud when sober so adding alcohol is not a pretty thing. He still just says "ya, that's not going to happen, it's' your wedding, i'm going to get smashed!" I'm glad he wants to celebrate but we've explained the situation w/ my dad to him and it's not really registering. I don't want my dad to be super pissed about agreeing to spring for a full bar because of my friends- esp. since he already thinks all the young ppl will be out of control. Suggestions?

Re: Wasted?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Eh. Can you tell if he's kidding or if he's serious? Because I'd have a "look, jerkface" talk with him and be like, dude, it's our wedding - we're already stressing enough about everything else, don't mess with our heads and make us stress about whether we're gonna have to kick you out of the reception, we don't want to be embarrassed by you and that's not fair to us. You could also tell him about your dad's perspective and how you want to keep this a classy affair. If you still don't have faith that he'll behave, I can see a couple of options that don't involve removing him from your WP. #1 - inform the bartenders about him ahead of time (name, pic, etc.) and tell them to cap him after a certain number of drinks. #2 - pick a friend or other GM (or one of the event managers) to babysit him so they can keep him from drinking too much and getting obnoxious. If he starts getting out of hand, they can shuttle him off to a secret room somewhere so he doesn't disturb the rest of the reception. It may be best to have an event manager do it, come to think of it, because then it's just business and he can't get mad at someone he knows.

Hopefully he's just yanking your chain and he'll behave, but I wouldn't want to just hope about something like that. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

If it happens, someone will ask him to leave and that will be it.

I know people that have gone to one wedding and gotten so drunk they were kicked out (the the banquet manager), that very same person was at another wedding and handled himself perfectly.

I think it's silly to even think about it, address it, or worry about it.  He's an adult.  Actually, the more he makes those comments, the more I'd write them off.  How do you know others aren't thinking of your wedding as a drunk fest too? Just because they haven't said anything? He's an adult, and he's going to act however he wants to act no matter what.

Capping the drinks probably won't work because others can get drinks for him.  Having someone babysit him is not really fair to the "babysitter".
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say not to worry about it also... it really is kinda out of your hands. Even if it wasn't a full bar, if he really wanted to he could bring a flask. Hopefully he'll have enough control to where he isn't obnoxious.

If you do want to try to have some control (not sure if it will be effective), like PP tell the bartender who he is with a picture and instead of cutting him off on drinks, pour less liquior in his.

Don't stress about it too much though!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I would just have a banquet manager or DOC keep an eye on him, and if he gets too bad, then have him leave. I would also stress to him that you are very serious about not wanting anyone to get out of control ot rowdy. Beyond that, Just enjoy your day and don't let it bother you too much!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good points ladies! I think I'll just talk to my DOC and have her keep an eye out. He's not going to be rowdy enough to get deserve being kicked out or anything, just rowdy enough to get a good number of looks and be kind of embarrassing. But I'm thinking about it now, because you're right, I'm not going to worry about it the day of! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Aileen and assign someoneto keep and eye on him. With your dad's reservations about the full bar and now this change of heart he has to know that people will be getting drunk and hopefully will just look the other way and be in such a great mood because you are happy that everything will be fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards