Students
Options

Dress shopping near school or near home?

Hi all, new Knottie here!

I'm starting my masters program in mid-September, and my wedding is just after my 4th quarter next year (Sept. 2011). In the last few months between undergrad and grad, I've knocked out my wedding venue and date, and before I head  back to school, I'm hoping to have figured out my vendors for music, flowers and photo/video. And as if that's not crazy enough, my mom wants to look at dresses with me before I go.

One thing I'm not sure about is where I should be looking. Would it be smarter to more seriously look at dresses when I'm in school several states away, which is where I will be spending almost the entirety of my next year, and then have it shipped back for the wedding? Or should I more actively look at dresses at home, picking something over my winter break and try to find time to fly back for fittings? My mom desperately wants to be there when I pick the dress and I understand that but I'm not sure if it makes sense logistically.

Re: Dress shopping near school or near home?

• Options
    Could she fly out to see you? I think the best solution here would be for you to go dress shopping where you go to school and have your mom fly out so that she is still a part of the process.

• Options
    I was in the same situation. I'm moving out east in 2 weeks and I origininally figured I'd just find my dress out there and bring it with me back to the Midwest for the wedding. But I ended up finding a dress I loved here at home. I wasn't about to pass it up, so I bought it. The dress won't come in for a few months, so I figured I'll fly home for Christmas and take care of fittings then. Or hold off until the start of summer, when I'll be back in the Midwest having final meetings with vendors.

It may be easier to just find a dress while you're away at school, but if you go shopping with your mom and find a dress you really love, then go for it! And I can understand her wanting to be there. But likewise, if you go shopping and don't find something, don't feel like you have to settle because you need to buy a dress before you leave. It's just kind of whatever works out.

• Options
    I was in the same situation, I live in TX but home is NC and I really wanted my mom to be able to go with me.  So I made a trip home on a weekday and we found the dress that day!  So gald my mom got to be there with me, and a close family friend was there as well.  Either way you do it, try to have your mom there.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards