Ohio-Northeast
Options

Father Drama

So our wedding is in September and I've recently had a falling out with my father. Anything can happen between now and our wedding date but I want to start thinking of options in case we don't reconcile. I don't have a male close enough in my life to be an obvious answer and I'm particularly thrilled about the idea of being walked down the isle by a woman (mom or sister). I'm considering walking down myself. Is that uncommon? Any other ideas?

Re: Father Drama

• Options
    starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Although I have never seen a bride walk down the aisle by herself, it's certainly not unheard of.  Through reading post after post on TK, I have found that many women walk themselves down the aisle.  If you're not thrilled with the idea, don't have any males close enough in your life and really don't want a woman to walk you down the aisle - then you can always forget the procession altogether.  You can simply walk out with your fiance and be right in front of the person who will be marrying you.  Finally, I've also heard of the bride and groom walking down the aisle together.  You may also want to give that a thought.  HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kmbeyerkmbeyer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you still have a grandfather in the picture I think that would be appropriate. I personally would vote for a pooch if you have one and the location allows it.  I do however hope you and your father work things out and your day is perfect.  Good luck. 

• Options
    ncostillancostilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dear Bride to Be.....

I got married on 9/26/09.  My father chose not to come to the wedding because his cousin was invited. Selfish...yes. Did it ruin my day....no. I too struggled over how and who I wanted to walk down the aisle with....  I have an uncle by marriage that helped me out of the limo and got me up to the aisle.  He then kissed me and stood there as I walked myself 1/2 way up the aisle.  I stopped, looked around at all my friends and family, took it all in, made eye contact with my future hubby....and then he came down to meet me. We walked up the rest of the way together.  It was perfect.  I didn't want to be given away by someone other than my father.  Since he chose not to be there, I thought why not do it myself.  I am a strong independant woman.  I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Good luck and don't let anything get in the way from the joy in your day!
  • Options
    babzosbornebabzosborne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's all great advice.

To the last person who posted: Did you plan it that way? For your groom to meet you half way? I love it!!

We'll see what happnes with my dad but I might just do it by myself!

Thank you all for the advice!
  • Options
    ncostillancostilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SO sorry for the delay in posting, I have not been on the site in forever. Yes, I planned it that way.  The day I told my father I was engaged he put the "stipulation" on me. I thought long and hard over how to go about it. I would not do it any other way if I had to do it over again.  I had plan B in place which was him to walk me down if he came to his senses, but unfortunately....it didn't happen.

If you want to email chat or anything, because I know how emotional it is....feel free ncostilla@msn.com

I also have access to a photobooth if interested.  We had it at our wedding and it was the hit of the party! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards