Delaware
Options

Gibraltar Gardens

Hi there,
Does anyone know anything about Gibraltar Gardens in Wilmington?  I have seen some amazing pictures so am interested in having a ceremony there, but have not been able to get any information via website or phone.  I'd appreciate it if anyone who has inquired about this venue could share what you learned -- it's too pretty not to consider!

thanks!

Re: Gibraltar Gardens

• Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never even heard of it until now!  I just googled it and found this Yahoo link:
    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2971692-gibraltar_marian_coffin_gardens_wilmington-i
    And this phone number: 302-651-9617
    Maybe you can call to get more information, as I have found not much else online.  Good luck!

Edit: Add'l info:
    Gibraltar was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

Guided tours are available by special arrangement for garden clubs, school groups, and other organizations.  There are special events taking place throughout the year and for these and customer tours there may be a small admission fee.

Selected areas of the garden are handicap accessible.

Dogs, rollerblades, bikes, food and smoking are absolutely prohibited in the gardens.

Tours last an hour. Large motor coaches can not be accommodated at the gardens; space is available for small shuttle buses and cars.

There are no public bathrooms at Gibraltar. 

Single tours are $5.00 per person.

A 50 percent non-refundable deposit two weeks in advance is required when a date is held for your group. 

Picnic facilities are NOT available at Gibraltar Gardens.

Phone: 302-651-9617 ext. 12.

• Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    edited December 2011
    They have a Facebook page also:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Marian-Coffin-Garden-at-Gibraltar-Inc/106604732695930
    I scrolled down and it looks like someone inquired about holding a wedding there back in June, and they said they don't do weddings, but will allow pictures to be taken.
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried to do the wedding there and it was too much of a headache.  The only info I have to offer is you can get a photo permit for $200 or $250.  I am not sure when they are starting the construction on the mansion but it is a consideration.
  • Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    never heard of them, i got married at rockwood which is another park/mansion/garden in Wilmington.
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait to go see Rockwood.  Carriage House, right?  We're going to make an appointment in October. :)
  • Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yep. u can go up to see the grounds any time cause the park has free access 7 days a week. the mansion does tours that u pay for, but to meet with the caterer/coordinator, to see the carriage house, u do need an appointment.
  • Options
    LBug24LBug24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked into a ceremony at Gibraltar. Th lady said they "aren't ready" for ceremonies yet (I was looking for May '12), but you could pay to get your pictures taken there.. I wasn't down for paying an extra $200 just to have a spot to get pictrues taken, but it is really pretty!

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone have contact info to reserve the area for wedding pictures?
  • Options
    Where did you guys learn about the permit and fee? I called Preservation of Delaware, and they said nothing about either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards