Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Inexpensive Hotel Blocks?

Our wedding is the first weekend of Mardi Gras, and we have a pretty good room rate for Intercontinental ($169 weekend, $129 extra days), but we can't seem to find any decent blocks closer to the $100/night range.  We're also only doing blocks where we don't have to guarantee rooms. Any suggestions?

Our ceremony/reception is at Rosy's Jazz Hall, but our welcome event is in the French Quarter.

Re: Inexpensive Hotel Blocks?

• Options
    hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try doing a big on hotelplanner.com - that's what we did and got some better deals than originally offered at Prince Conti & St. Louis Hotel (where the wedding is).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally I think 169.00 for the first weekend of Mardi Gras is GREAT!! I too am getting married at Rosy's,but not until May. There is a convention in town the weekend of my wedding and Interconntinental quoted me 349.00! I am using Chateau Bourbon and Staybridge Suites because they are the only ones that quoted me rates under 200.00 a night. I have heard good things about Chateau Bourbon- try them! Also, keep me updated with your planning if you don't mind. I would love to hear more about other vendors you are using since we are using the same venue!!
  • Options
    amydave2011amydave2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Excellent!  Will check them out!

So far, we've lined up Matt Foster as the photographer (Rosy's said he's their favorite), Prodigy for videography, Groovy 7 as the band, and John Zimmer as the officiant (also Rosy's fave).  Happy to talk with you about any of them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hollybee-are you using the covered courtyard at the st.louis hotel? the pictures of it look beautiful and i was thinking about setting up an appt. to see it in the next week. ii see your wedding is coming up quickly - have things been smooth working w/ st. louis hotel? any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I tried to get Matt Foster, but he was already booked up for my date. I am also using John Zimmer. I also tried to use prodigy, but they too were booked up. I decided to go with a DJ rather than a band. My boyfriend has said he would rather a DJ (Crazy) and after comparing prices I decided that would be great so I am using Rosy's favorite, Rick from Decades. How are you planning to get guest to and from the venue?

• Options
    amydave2011amydave2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The groom's family is from New Orleans, so I expect they will be doing a lot of pickups.  Steve also said he could get us 30 parking spots across the street. To be honest, that's about as far as I've gotten.  Waiting to see how the hotel situation shapes up first...

DJs are definitely more affordable, but we're planning to have people guest sing and needed a live band.

If you are still looking for a photographer and videographer, you may want to try Rita Frelich.  She hadn't yet shot at Rosy's, but she and her husband had reasonable photo/video packages. Her website is http://www.ritafrelichartography.com/

Good luck!
  • Options
    phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you check out the New Orleans CVB?  You can fill out a form on their website to get bids from hotels.  I did that a got price quotes from about 20 hotels within days. 

Also, you can check The Whitney Wyndham.  It's on Poydras near St. Charles and they gave us less than $90 a night...it might be worth checking their price for your dates.
  • Options
    kennywalkkennywalk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a hard time too, because I'm over New Year's.  I ended up with a block at the Maison St. Charles, which is technically a quality or comfort inn or something.  The hotel is in kind of a weird spot - across from Delmonicos - and is actually a motel (outside entrances), but the rooms and lobby are much higher-end than you would expect, and it has nice gardens.  Reviews on tripadvisor were fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards