Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

DW Headcount Advice

Just some advice for you DW brides regarding giving your headcount for food and alcohol as I am experiencing it now.  Everyone here and in real life advised me to give the caterer anywhere from 3 to 5% less of a headcount than what I had in responses.  Given it was a 100% DW, and the vast majority of our guests are staying at our hotel and I could see their hotel reservations in place, I foolishly thought this rule didn't apply to me and I wanted to make sure I wasn't cheaping out on the vendors by going too low.  So I did not count the 2 or 3 maybe's I had in the food count, but did count all of the other Yes's.  This was 2 weeks ago.  Well.....in the last week and a half I have had NINE,  yes, count them NINE, people cancel and change their response.  My wedding is Saturday.  The latest cancellations just sent me an email this morning.  All of these people have indicated that it was for financial reasons or some other plans came up (?!?!), not unexpected childcare issues or illness.  Just plain "I changed my mind."  And none of them were those you suspected might do this- all are close friends of mine and my parents.   I have now wasted well over $1000 in food, alcohol, an extra table (centerpiece, linens, etc.)

This has been a very expensive lesson for me and I wanted to share in hopes that when your time comes to give your headcount, you won't make the same foolish and naive mistake I did. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DW Headcount Advice

• Options
    Thanks NO12. I have been thinking about his over and over about what to do about reporting fthe final headcount and i'm so glad you shared your experience.
  • Options
    NolaBride2012NolaBride2012 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    That's such a shame, I'm so sorry. Maybe you could move that centerpiece somewhere else where it can be more readily admired?? Extra buffet arrangement (if thats what you're having?) or even for the guestbook table? That way it seems like less of a *waste*

I am down to the final moments of my head count and feel the strain as well - we have over 50 people who havent RSVP'ed (three of which cant even be bothered to returh a personal phone call/text specifically requesting a yes/no) so I can only imagine how frustrating it myst be, after getting together all the head count to have people back out at the last minute. 

Thanks for sharing this word of caution - it definitely will shape how I guestimate our headcount. As many caterers do, we will get billed for any over the final head count, but no reimbursement for over-guessing. 

I wonder if you contacted your caterer and explained the situation that they might not be able to work something out? You're still amost a week away - maybe if they wont reimburse you, they'll be able to swap that money into some kind of upgrade (hello hand passed mini beignets and cafe au lait shots at the end?) Just a thought. They may not, but it couldn't hurt to ask, right?
  • Options
    NolaBride2012, this is a good point. I will look into this today. Since I posted this, I've had 2 more people cancel. I don't even want to check texts or emails anymore...:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is crazy!! What the heck! I've never heard that you're supposed to lowball the guest count to anticipate last minute cancelations. Like you I figured if people have made travel and hotel plans...they're coming. Apparently that's not the case?!
  • Options
    I am so worried about this.  If we were having a buffet, I would simply estimate 10% under what I think is coming, and I have never seen buffets run out of food anyway, and there isn't anyone counting at the door.  However, since I am having seated I have to be firm with my number (can't even underguess,  since I need to tell them how many fish/beef and which table it is going to.  I have tried to figure out how to tactfully remind everyone that I REALLY need to know, FOR SURE if they are coming, but I haven't found a way.  We have 122 (yes, you read that right) unanswered RSVPs for our November 16th wedding....yes, I know it's along way out still, but we also sent out invitations in August to allow for travel arrangements.  I am also worried aobut our local friends who typically attend buffet receptions where the numbers don't matter quite as much...I've tried to impress upon them that literally, their seat costs $100 and if they don't think they can go to please tell me.  Luckily our venue requires the final count 3 days prior, so that is great....but I am still willing to bet we have at least 5 people not show who say they are going to :(  I hope your caterer will work with you!  Really they should- with social media spreading the word about vendors you would think they won't want to appear uncompromising!  Nearly a week is plenty of time to adjust their food preparation, and if not I agree, I hope they are willling to throw in some lagniappe, maybe champagne toast?  Good luck!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_dw-headcount-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:4fbde68f-5865-4201-94d8-6598789bacd7Post:b1224d16-b914-4928-b9db-8926a663020f">Re:DW Headcount Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]NolaBride2012, this is a good point. I will look into this today. Since I posted this, I've had 2 more people cancel. I don't even want to check texts or emails anymore...:
    Posted by NO2012[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Just something to consider for those with buffet receptions.  My cousin gave the venue a lower headcount and ended up having more people come.  The venue only made food the amount she guaranteed for, but she had to pay for the additional guests.  So they ran out of food.  I would personally rather pay for 3-4 guests that don't show up than have people starving. 
  • Options
    Update: my venue, the Wax, is going to refund me the money for the alcohol for those cancellations. My caterer, Benedict's, said they can not adjust anything within 5 days of the event. However, I will say that Benedict's already went way above and beyond to keep what I wanted within the budget I gave them so I'm not too disappointed in their decision. I agree with louisianablue as well. It would be my worst nightmare to not have enough food. That's why I did what I did but I think I could have been smarter about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards