Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Bridesmaid dresses: long vs. short

If your wedding dress is a gown should you do long bridesmaid dresses?  At first I pictured my dress simple, form fitting, nothing too fancy and I wanted the bm's to have tea-length dresses.  The BM dress that I found was short and all the BM's loved it.  However, I ended up buying a not so simple gown.  When I tried it on, my sister had the tea length BM dress on and it just didn't go well with my dress.  I looked very formal and she looked too simple. It seems like the BMs all want to do tea length dresses, but I don't think it looks right.  I don't want to share my dress on the board due to lurkers.... but can email you.  Just want another opinion to see if short dresses go with this dress.  I don't think it does!!   

Re: Bridesmaid dresses: long vs. short

• Options
    edited December 2011
    e-mail me.  I'm having the same issue.  but will probably go long.  munleymc at gmail dot com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    MereFM99MereFM99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can email to me if you want another opinion, I won't be able to check til tomorrow most likely though! roxyroo81 at yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can email me as well if you are still in need of an opinion. vanessa_a83 at yahoo.com My BMs are wearing black tea length dresses and my dress is not so simple. But like I said email if you'd like.
  • Options
    ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ultimately it's up to you, but personally if the BM dresses are in a formal material (satin, etc) I think tea length is fine, even if you're wearing a long dress. I'm wearing a long dress and I let my BMs choose their dresses as long as they were by the same designer and in the same fabric and color. Out of my 4 BMs, one chose short, one chose long, and two chose tea length. I'm not worried about it. I have seen many, many pictures of brides in long dresses and BMs in short or tea length dresses. They looked lovely and entirely appropriate.That being said, if it really bothers you, do what makes you feel most comfortable!
  • Options
    strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding, where the bride had a pretty lace full length gown on, and the bm's wore tea-length black dresses.  It looks amazing in pictures.  I dont have any on my work computer, however if you would like one email me  strawberrycrz @ hotmail dot com and I'll get it to you when I get home.
  • Options
    mmattoonmmattoon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... I went with a simple lace full length gown for myself and full length gowns for the bridesmaids as well. But our wedding is in 10 days so it may be colder than yours. Originally the girls were going to go with tea length but they were ordered wrong and we decided to keep them as full length instead of getting them all hemmed and I think I will like them even better. Sometimes you can get the same dress in tea length of full length so check that out. But it's your decision. I'm sure your girls will be ok with whatever you pick. Mine were :)But anyway, I would LOVE to see your dress! email me mnmattoon at comast dot net :)What is the color of the BM gowns? Because I think certain colors can look pretty fancy regardless of the length.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree; my dress is long and while not crazy, definitely not simple either, and my BM dresses are tea length.  One thing I did to dress them up a bit was get a bit more fancy shoe...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding last year where the bride wore a full lace gown and we all wore short/tea length dresses.  Everything was still formal without us wearing gowns and the pictures are beautiful.  I love the contrast between the two and tea length dresses - depending on the material - can still be formal.  IMO, dresses don't have to be long gowns in order to be on the formal side.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that the length is not so much a big deal, but if the design and material somewhat match the formality of you and the whole event.  I think you should be somewhat more formal than them, but if you're in a big ball gown and your whole wedding is super formal, then you don't want them to be casual, but if you like tea length, you can certainly find elegant ones that will look like they fit the part. And just to be an AW, a pic of my BM's in their short dresses: (if this works!)[img]http://tinyurl.com/yjvnuk8[/img]
  • Options
    ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for your comments.All of us (Me, BM, MOB) are really liking chiffon material dresses and that is what we have been looking for.  However, chiffon in short (the ones that we liked and looked at) are a little less formal than short satin dresses.  We are not excluding satin, etc. but I really want the BM to get someting they like. We did find a dress that we liked on Saturday.Mori Lee, style 613 in dark purple.  I think it looks better in person.  It has one strap with flowers.  The flowers are smaller in person than in the picture.mmattoon - ygm    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards