Michigan-Detroit
Options

Anyone else freak out?

So I am ordering my new business cards so that I can start using them when after the wedding. Well, when I saw my new email written r.newlastname@whatever, I freaked out and almost hyperventilated.  I hate the idea of having Williams as a last name.  I love my Italian last name.  I do want to change it though, I want us to have the same last name and my current one won't sound right as a middle name and hyphanating (SP?) is way too long to me.I emailed Chris telling him that I freaked out and he finds it funny.  This is what he emailed me back: Welcome to the “Generic World” little buddy!!!!!!  Or should I say little Williams.  J  Your @ss is MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Has anyone seen that Brizezilla episode where the chick yells at the groom and says "as soon as you say I Do, your a$$ is mine!".  He always says that to me now too. 

Re: Anyone else freak out?

• Options
    ksunquestksunquest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, I also had a minor freak out when it came to changing my name. I do not know why, I just did. I ended up taking my maiden name as my middle name and dropped my old middle name, so I am Katie Old Last Name New Last Name  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At the drug store someone called me Mrs. HisLastName about a month ago and I was very weirded out by the sound of it. That's his mom, not me!But LMAO at the 'Your A$$ is Mine' comment. Freaking hilarious!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    RachelCheetahRachelCheetah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rebecca, I haven't even officially changed my name yet....so yeah, I know the feeling!! My maiden name isn't cool or anything  - in fact I grew up hating it and wishing it could be a cooler last name.  But I had it for 33 years. I did see the one Bridezillas where she was like, "When this wedding is over, I own your a$$." This is the one I think last season where she took this shirt his friends got him for his BParty or some event and tried to flush it down the toilet. I think it said "SINGLE" or something...can't rememeber. I think this same 'zilla bought her BM a new bigger dress because she felt the BM had put on weight. LOL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats funny. I'm so used to being called Austins last name we might as well be married. When I take my daughter to the doctor they call me Mrs. G. I no longer correct them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really don't want to change my name. To console myself I am going to legally change my name but at work I am going to continue with my maiden name. Uggh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto honeylamb. I'm keeping my maiden name professionally, but am really hesitating at changing it at all. I refuse to drop anything so I'm going to end up with one long name.
  • Options
    mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just had this convo with a coworker! He was like "your name now has pizazz, it's Arabic & unique, Williams is just boring."
  • Options
    RachelCheetahRachelCheetah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lisa, because my DD has a different last name than mine, I get called Mrs.ExlastName last name by the school's and doctors all the time. Big eyeroll.....but I am so used to it that I barely ever bother correcting them any more. As long is my name is what it is on their forms.
  • Options
    eclipsethecateclipsethecat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    More like I got a little sad when I was doing it :(What freaked me out was when I called somewhere last week and they said Thank you Mrs. V for calling. I almost threw up.
  • Options
    Tarah716Tarah716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha - it's funny to see it next to my name and I had a few people call me Tarah NewLastName - it took me a minute to respond. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG Rebecca...I am cracking up at Chris's response. (Sorry.)  My last name now isn't anything spectacular, but it's not common...and I'm going to become a JONES.  How boring!  My dad commented that I'm going from a no-name to the 3rd most popular last name.  Ugh. 
  • Options
    PookumsPookums member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't plan on doing it unless we have kids and that still freaks me out.
  • Options
    ksunquestksunquest member
    edited December 2011
    cats - that is exactly how I felt. I am going from a very unique last name to a boring common last name. boo.
  • Options
    cindaycinday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last night I went our for drinks with people from work and they were calling me Mrs. Newname and it was strange to hear, but I'm getting used to it. To me the name change process has been kind of sad. I'm 32, so I've had it awhile! DH has not been sympathetic, and I feel like he did make a comment once similar to your FI's.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Taryn I'm in the same boat. I have a very uncommon Polish last name and I'll be the recipient of the 14th most popular last name after the wedding. I looked it up in our global address book at work just for giggles last week, right now I'm the only one with my last name (and first/last combo). When I get married, I will be 1 out of 302 people with my new last name, and one of 2 with first/last combo. Ugh.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Jacks21583Jacks21583 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone calls FI by his last name. I think his family and I are the only people who call him Steve, and sometimes I weven call him by his last name. So I sort of feel like I'm becoming Mrs. Him (if that makes sense...)
  • Options
    rootmel1rootmel1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's going to be such a huge change!  I'm excited to change my last name...but my maiden name is a noun which NO ONE misspells, and I'll be taking on a very Irish last name which everyone gets wrong!  That'll take some getting used to!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I freak out as well... my dad calls me often to see if my fiance will consider changing his last name to become more Italian (Buchanalini?? lol) The other day I was walking on my lunch break & this family was in front of me near a building that has FI's family's last name on it... the conversation of this family went like this: Do you think they are related to President Buchanan? Or maybe it's Mitch Buchanan? I dont know there's so many damn Buchanan's out there!? sigh... bye bye non-common last name
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My coworker did something really cool when she had kids. Her son's middle name is her maiden name. It doesn't necessarily sound like a middle name (DeMay is her maiden name) but that way her son has a little bit of her. I plan on doing this once I have kids, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    My married bio
    TTC since March 2010, Dx PCOS 3/9/11. HSG 3/9/11 Clear with dominant but underdeveloped follicle, 4/4/11 Started 50 mg Clomid, 6/5/11 Started 100 mg Clomid, 8/9/11 BFP!
    4/6/12 Emerson Kate was born!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was excited but kinda sad. My  last name is a popular name in the Chaldean community and now I'm American! lol! Bri was not sympathetic at all! He wanted me to change it! I was filling out new doctor forms the other day and my first, middle and new last name looked so odd! Its weird hearing people say Mrs. Newlastname still! But I dont mind it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awww...I'm sorry Kim!  At least I'll be the only Taryn Jones around here...that I know of.Totally off topic, but speaking of Polish last names, I work with an Owczarzak and a Piorkowski.  No one gets Jeff's last name right...they always say, "May I speak with Jeff....O?"  It cracks me up every time.
  • Options
    whrldtravlrwhrldtravlr member
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow! I'm suprised and very consoled to see that there are so many other people who struggled/are struggling with the name change issue. I think I am going to hyphenate because both of our last names are fairly short and I wanted to find a middle ground of blending both families into one. I am sad, though, about having to give my name up as it is. BTW, speaking of being weirded out by being called Mrs. NewLastName. How about the fact that because of my age (which isn't even that old) I get called Mrs. OldLastName. WTH is that??
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know what you mean- I'm a teacher and 2 weeks after I get married school starts up again and it's going to be so weird introducing myself with the new last name. I have a feeling I won't respond for a while when kids call me it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh that makes me so happy to hear that other people are dealing with this too.  My last name now it long and Italian and I have to spell it for everyone.  But now I am going to be a Williams which is boring.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Still freaking out :) Haven't done it yet, but I'm going to do Mrs. OldLastName NewLastName.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I freaked out when I used my new last name for the first time....dropping off dry cleaning.  I am not a fan of my new last name.....very Polish, and very long.  Everyone spells and mis-pronounces it!!!!!  So now I am an Jewish Asian, with a Polish last name.I did order new return address labels with our names on it, it was nice seeing our names together with our address.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well we were married on 4.25 and I still haven't changed mine.  Debating on if I will at all.. If I do it will be name middle name-maiden name, new last name.  I don't think freaking out is wierd at all!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't change my last name. I'm very attached to my last name. I'm the only female in my family w/ it, it's part of my identity, and its Irish. DH's last name is okay, although we played on it because he shares the last name of a very funny guy w/a funny show. My favorite part is when people (strangers) refer to him as Mr. Mylastname. He just squirms a little. I love it! If we had kids, I'd probably hyphenate it, but we're not having kids, so it works out! Rebecca...I cannot imagine you hyphenating your name. That would be a huge PITA to write out! It would never fit! LOL
  • Options
    alarthamealarthame member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's funny, but this is one thing I'm not freaking out about at all. My last name is the 69th (haha) most common in the US (though I could have swore it was more common) and it's only 4 letters. My new last name will be 6. I already get mail with my new last name on it (thanks to FSIL).  It may take a bit to get used to, but I'm totally excited about it. Kim - There are 3 people with my current name in the directory. When I first started here (and sometimes recently), I had gotten emails and meeting notices for the other ones! It was sooo annoying. No one here has my new name. :)
    ~*~ Shauna & Patrick ~*~ 9/5/09 ~*~
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't care. I hated my maiden name so I changed to my married one as quick as I could! I am still getting used to saying it, but I love it. :) I think that makes me the loner on this subject.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards