Michigan-Detroit
Options

My wedding was FANTASTIC except...

Hey Ladies,

My wedding was this past weekend and it was an absolute dream. I'll post reviews and pics soon.

However, I do need your help. I had my wedding at Colony Club and it was unbelievable except for one HUGE mistake. I found out midway through my wedding that they never ordered valet. (The parents didn't want me to find out because they knew I would lose it). Well, I found out. It was contracted from the very first meeting. It was paid in full. It was a top priority that our guests not have to walk around in downtown Detroit in January in black tie attire. It was promised to the guests on our website and in an insert with the invite. Show they show up and they have no idea where to park because I never gave them instructions. People missed parts of the ceremony because of this. It's just not ok.

So aside from refunding the service (which they obviously have to do) I need compensation. What is appropriate? I honestly don't know what they can do to make-up for the safety and comfort of my guests being compromised, for people missing the ceremony and for our embarrassment as hosts.

Whew...ok. Help me ladies. TIA 

Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except...

• Options

I'm sorry this happened to you but honestly I don't know what else you expect other than the refund on the amount you prepaid for the valet.  I have no idea how you would even go about finding how much you should be compensated other than contacting an attorney.  But I'm not a litigious person at all so I would most likely just want my money back and be done with it but that's just me.

Before you contact them, ensure you have a copy of the signed contract which includes the valet service as well as get a copy of the form of payment you used (either the cancelled check or credit card statement.)  What specifically does the contract say about the valet service?  Did you discuss the valet situation in your final meetings with the venue?  If so, what did they say exactly?  If you didn't, why not?

• Options
    I have the signed contract, the payment confirmation and five emails confirming it in different ways. I knew how many attendants and whether or not they would be accepting tips. It was confirmed in our final meetings and was reconfirmed by my planner. I was about as organized as a bride can get.

The money back is easy and I'm not trying to sue them. I just don't feel like refunding a service that caused stress so many people is enough. I guess that's why I'm asking for help.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_wedding-fantastic-except?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:50a098fa-4bdb-4322-8fa3-661663455752Post:48d74d68-f178-4879-af8b-38ac06f8d2bb">Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the signed contract, the payment confirmation and five emails confirming it in different ways. I knew how many attendants and whether or not they would be accepting tips. It was confirmed in our final meetings and was reconfirmed by my planner. I was about as organized as a bride can get. The money back is easy <strong>and I'm not trying to sue them. I just don't feel like refunding a service that caused stress so many people is enough.</strong> I guess that's why I'm asking for help.
    Posted by JMBsbride[/QUOTE]

But you are trying to sue them for compensation if you are trying to get more back than what you prepaid for the valet service.  Not saying there is anything wrong with this, I just mentioned that I wouldn't do it myself because I would rather just move on with my life.

I reiterate my advice:  I would contact a lawyer.
  • Options
    If you want compensation beyond just the valet, I'd ask for a discount on the payment you made for the banquet/bar.  Also, I'd have a conversation with them up front saying that you're really upset about this, and see what they offer you.  If they just say "oh, sorry, our mistake," then start asking for a refund (which you are totally owed) and the additional compensation you decide.  If they do not budge, then bring in a lawyer. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I guess by using the word compensation you thought I meant court action. I would never do that. Safety is an issue in Detroit and more than half of our guests were from out of town. I just wanted them to be taken care of. If you think that the refund is appropriate then I will just relax and let it be. I thank you for your advice.
  • Options
    What Liz said. I think I'd just get my money back for the specific service. Include your experience in reviews of the place here and in other spots where wedding venues are discussed and move on. Sure it caused your guests some stress in those few minutes when they realized there was no valet and then had to find a parking spot, but I'm assuming they're over it now too. And sure, some were late, but did you notice right away? Did it affect your wedding? Did they still get to celebrate with you even though they may have missed some key moments? I've been late to weddings before for various reasons -- traffic, parking, etc -- and it sucks, but it happens.

It really does suck that your guests had to find and pay for parking, but I also live about 4 blocks away from the CC and I know there are well-marked parking lots and garages within a block of the venue. Hopefully your guests were able to take advantage of those options with little effort.

I'd also argue their safety wasn't compromised simply because the valet didn't show up, but that's just me in my Sensitive Sweater as a resident of that neighborhood. If you were at all concerned about the safety of the venue, you shouldn't have booked your wedding there, regardless of whether you were having valet.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_wedding-fantastic-except?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:50a098fa-4bdb-4322-8fa3-661663455752Post:d779dddc-3cc3-4ac6-9c36-699c2c5f6822">Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What Liz said. I think I'd just get my money back for the specific service. Include your experience in reviews of the place here and in other spots where wedding venues are discussed and move on. Sure it caused your guests some stress in those few minutes when they realized there was no valet and then had to find a parking spot, but I'm assuming they're over it now too. And sure, some were late, but did you notice right away? Did it affect your wedding? Did they still get to celebrate with you even though they may have missed some key moments? I've been late to weddings before for various reasons -- traffic, parking, etc -- and it sucks, but it happens. It really does suck that your guests had to find and pay for parking, but I also live about 4 blocks away from the CC and I know there are well-marked parking lots and garages within a block of the venue. Hopefully your guests were able to take advantage of those options with little effort. <strong>I'd also argue their safety wasn't compromised simply because the valet didn't show up, but that's just me in my Sensitive Sweater as a resident of that neighborhood. If you were at all concerned about the safety of the venue, you shouldn't have booked your wedding there, regardless of whether you were having valet.
    </strong>Posted by Meegles4[/QUOTE]
    I would agree with this but maybe I'm also wearing my Sensitive Sweater (love the phrase!)  I work in downtown and I hate when people automatically assume that because it's Detroit that it is dangerous.  Sure, there are some not nice parts as with any big city but for the most part, downtown is extremely safe--especially the area you were in.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_wedding-fantastic-except?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:50a098fa-4bdb-4322-8fa3-661663455752Post:4601ef9d-410f-4ae5-b53b-eda75744f405">Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except... : I would agree with this but <strong>maybe I'm also wearing my Sensitive Sweater (love the phrase</strong>!)  I work in downtown and I hate when people automatically assume that because it's Detroit that it is dangerous.  Sure, there are some not nice parts as with any big city but for the most part, downtown is extremely safe--especially the area you were in.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

A friend used it this weekend, so clearly I'll be working it into every conversation I have!
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Maybe I am the unpopular opionion here, but I would want more than my refund. This was NOT okay, not only did you pay for valet but you also paid to have an insert in the invitations (not cheap), the guests most likely had to pay to park, and I can totally understand your frustration!

I would follow zulamay's advice and see what they offer, if it isn't good enough, let them know! Explain the added costs you incurred (inserts, guest parking, etc.) I would also stress how displeased you are with this, and that you will be sharing your experience online/through social media/etc. 

I can't imagine that they wouldn't offer some sort of compensation!

Good Luck! And can't wait for pictures and recap of the amazing day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I agree that this would be one of the things that just pissed me off to no end. I think it would be sucha  pain for the guest. Who thought they could valet but hen couldn't, had to find parking, and then pay for it after you have already paid for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am in the minority with bailey. I would expect more than what I contractually paid. Since you have many e-mails, and had the extra cost of inserts I would expect the costs of them, and anything my guests paid for parking covered. I don't think it falls under pain and suffering, but they did not meet the contractual obligations they agreed to. I would also be sizably pissed at my parents that they did not demand someone at the venue throw on a vest and get parking, but that's just me.  I would not expect compensation for my guests comfort, since it is too late for that, but I would expect more than just a refund for the service. I would average what a few friends paid for parking, times that by couple, then accept nothing less than that + refund + any expense you went through to tell your guest you had valet. I am now mad for you

: )
  • Options
    As a guest, if I was told there was going to be (free) valet, and I had to pay to park elsewhere, I'd be pissed and later ask someone about it (possibly the bride - well after the wedding) and even go as far as contacting the business myself. (This is only if I'm walking around in heels in the snow and I'm not feeling well and I have to open the card to the B&G to get money for parking because I rarely have cash on me...)

As a bride, I don't know if I'd ask for more than a refund, but I can see how someone would want to. I say try for it - and if anything, get at least a refund. 
  • Options
    Regardless of whether or not the neighborhood is safe, you paid for a service that you didn't receive.  Your vendor did not hold up their end of the bargain.  Double check your contract for a Limitation of Liability clause.  It may say that they are only liable up to the amount you paid for a service, in which case, you aren't entitled to anything further.  If not, ask for whatever you feel is appropriate taking into account inconvenience for you and your guests, as well as unrecovered costs.

Since you're not talking about actually suing them, going into the conversation with an idea of what you think is appropriate compensation is a good idea.  Let them lead with a suggestion of how to make it right, but know what you're looking for at the end of the conversation.

• Options
    I just have to say that I agree with you and the PP's who are mad for you.  Part of the reason we opted out of the Guardian Building was because we had to pay for valet for guests and we couldn't afford that.  I know the area well, so it's not a "safety" thing for me.  I often enjoy sitting in Centaur watching all the people walking to weddings in the CC because they're all pretty and dressed up.  
    The point here is that you paid for something and it was confirmed multiple times and you didn't receive it.  Due to this error, people missed your ceremony.  THAT would be where I would be out for blood.

Having said that though...if you got your money back but aren't willing to sue (I wouldn't either, I'm like Liz that way), I don't know what else you could want.  It's not like you'll be booking another event with them, so you can't have a discount on future services.  I'd just be going online to EVERY place I could possibly post a nasty review.  That would be my vindication.
    September 2012 Brides March siggy challenge: Fav registry item so far...Bunn Coffee Maker!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_wedding-fantastic-except?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:50a098fa-4bdb-4322-8fa3-661663455752Post:45ef2769-6ef7-4608-831c-db60f73c0f48">Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just have to say that I agree with you and the PP's who are mad for you.  Part of the reason we opted out of the Guardian Building was because we had to pay for valet for guests and we couldn't afford that.  I know the area well, so it's not a "safety" thing for me.  I often enjoy sitting in Centaur watching all the people walking to weddings in the CC because they're all pretty and dressed up.   The point here is that you paid for something and it was confirmed multiple times and you didn't receive it.  Due to this error, people missed your ceremony.  THAT would be where I would be out for blood. Having said that though...if you got your money back but aren't willing to sue (I wouldn't either, I'm like Liz that way), I don't know what else you could want.  It's not like you'll be booking another event with them, so you can't have a discount on future services.  <strong>I'd just be going online to EVERY place I could possibly post a nasty review.  That would be my vindication.</strong>
    Posted by mcmeghan311[/QUOTE]
    Bwa ha ha, This is SOOOOO me! <div>
    </div><div>but honestly, I would give them a chance to make things right before doing this. and like I said previously, I would let them know that if they don't compensate you to your standards this is precisely what you will be doing ;) but that's just me...</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_wedding-fantastic-except?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:50a098fa-4bdb-4322-8fa3-661663455752Post:dd5b3185-5d22-411a-82d1-01d344d6bbe5">Re: My wedding was FANTASTIC except...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess by using the word compensation you thought I meant court action. I would never do that. Safety is an issue in Detroit and more than half of our guests were from out of town. I just wanted them to be taken care of. If you think that the refund is appropriate then I will just relax and let it be. I thank you for your advice.
    Posted by JMBsbride[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Detroit is just like any other major city, it is not THAT dangerous - don't perpetuate negative views of the city! Sure you could get mugged, but guess what? You can get mugged in the suburbs too.
  • Options
    To summarize my response (in agreement with some of the prior comments)

- They at the very least owe you reimbursement for the cost of the valet, at minimum.
    - I agree I would find out roughly what your guests paid and multiply that as reasonably as possible by the number of cars that would have been parked. That is a reimbursement to your guests, who also happen to be guests of the venue. They inconvenienced their own guests, who may or may not form an opinion of the Club based on this one experience.
    - If after asking for the above, they try to wriggle out of any of it, make it clear that you belong to multiple social network/bridal planning sites, as do your guests. Your review of their willingness to "right a wrong" WON'T be well received by future or potential patrons if they can't make it right.

From a legal standpoint, any alleged "loss" by you or your guests (other than stated above) would cost more to recover than it's worth. If they care at all about their reputation, they will make it right.
  • Options
    In the contract, they charge you a fee for cancelling service that you contracted for so I agree they should have to compensate you for the cancellation beyond the paid amount. The colony club is a newer facility and they have mixed reviews regarding their service. I didn't go with the club because I had an awful expirience trying to communicate with the head lady and her assistant after my first visit. I am glad the rest of your wedding worked out well and that was the only thing. However, with the knot and all the other wedding websites, a new facility doesn't want their clients posting bad reviews so I would remind them of that when you are discussing what you are owed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards