Michigan-Detroit
Options

Ordering Dresses - dye lots

I have an out of state bridesmaid who would like to order her dress from a bridal shop close to her house.  My other two bridesmaids would be ordering from a store here in Michigan.

I don't really care either way but do you think this is a big deal?  I know everyone says you should be ordering together to make sure the fabrics are all the same color but would they really be that different if they ordered from different stores?  I mean they're from the same manufacturer and it's the same color. 

What do you think?  Any advice?

Re: Ordering Dresses - dye lots

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister's wedding had 6 bridesmaids and I think we all ordered at different times and 2 ordered from different stores completely.
    We couldn't tell a difference in color.

Even if it's slightly off I dont think anyone will notice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    97 my bffsimage 30 dead to meimage 1 in limboimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really think this is something the industry makes up. My friend's wedding there were 3 of us, 2 ordered together one ordered from out of state like 3 months later - the dresses looked the same.

If its the same manufacturer and color, I can't imagine their dye lots would be so different it'd be visually noticeable.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

All of my BM's are getting their dresses from different places. 

Last summer I was in a wedding where we all ordered from different stores and the 4 of us who ordered our dresses in November had the same color, the other 3 who ordered at a later time had a slightly different color. Their dresses were kinda peachy/gold whereas our dresses were a perfect antique gold. But nobody noticed or cared. 

I guess it really doesn't matter where you order your dresses but it does matter what time frame your bridesmaids order their dresses, should be within the same week or month. 

Hope that helps. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I just had to deal with this same issue (one out of state). The place my MI girls are ordering from said if it's a good dress manufacturer/label, the dress color/die should not be that off where ordering from another place would be some drastic color change. Maybe it's good to order all at once/same place for peace of mind and knowing they'll all come in together, but I'm thinking it's not the end of the world if someone needs to order somewhere else.
    June 19, 2010
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just dealt with that, too. One of the BM's lives out of state. I just let her order it from a place by her. I can't imagine that the color will be that off or that people will even notice.
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the industry makes it up....I think the store makes it up because they want you to order all the BM dresses through them!  Every wedding I've been in, we've ordered them at different times from different stores and we've never had a problem.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Working in the printing industry this can be true to some degree. But with Fabric, if you order them in close proximity to each other you shouldn't have any problems.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    elkayelkay member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, dye lot difference is a real thing - in fabric, paper, roof shingles, paint, printing ink, etc., etc.

But ditto blackberryaddict. For dresses, time frame probably matters more than store. My BMs were both OOT, ordered their dresses from one shop, then had to ship a dress to the other woman so everyone could get alterations done locally. Likely would have been fine to each order dress from their own shop or online and saved the extra step.

FABRIC type would show more difference. i.e., if one woman wears satin and another wears chiffon. Those reflect light differently and satin would appear lighter.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the store makes it up so that you order from them. I ordered my MOH and MAH's dress several months apart and they both had the same shade color.
  • Options
    tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I have wedding OCD (lol) I had my sis's give me money, and I ordered the dresses at the same time (netbride).  I was told by the rep at netbride that there probably wouldn't be a difference if ordered separately, but they couldn't guarantee that the dresses would be the same dye lot in that instance.  HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards