Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Hawthorne Hotel, Salem

I may have posted something similar before, and if I have I apologise, but has anyone had any experience of weddings at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem? Or have you stayed there? I kind of fell in love with this place based upon their website alone, but could in no way afford it. However they've just introduced a super value package which is achievable in our budget and so my interest has piqued again.
I'm very much a non-traditional bride and this is definately a non-traditional wedding, and that is my biggest concern that the Hawthorne is too conservative and traditional for my taste, as well as being simply too big a venue for our very small (approx 40 guests) wedding.
So I turn to all my fellow knotties for your usual wonderful, considered opinions.
Married! "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Re: Hawthorne Hotel, Salem

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I stayed there for over a week last September.  I was filming a canadian reality TV show called Halloween Super Star.  The Hawthorn Hotel is amazing!  The staff is Fantastic!  GM is the BEST , forgot his name, but he is a 40 something tall dark skinned man who could not have been more accomodating.  During one of the days we were filming, there was a wedding on side!  We were using the second floor for some interview stuff and we could look down into the ball room from the widows that over looked the ball room.  It was beautiful!!!!!  I loved how old fashion the place is.  The guest rooms are SUPER small, but luxurious.  The bathrooms in most guest rooms are split into two sections, one to potty, one to clean up.  I can't say enough wonderful things about this location.  If I were having a big wedding or lived closer to Salem, I'd be doing my wedding at the Hawthorn!!!!!!  Oh, they make GREAT coffee in the AM too!  Hit a nearby bakery - Coffee Time Bake shop and get ANYTHING - it's al amazing!!!!
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Starmusica is having her wedding there this weekend--I am sure she will be sharing lots of info in her review after the wedding.

I stayed there years ago, and remember it was very old-fashioned, in a charming way.  I think just about any venue can be transformed to accommodate a non-traditional wedding.  :)  I think the bride & groom set the tone! 

Good luck!
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    clbartnicki is also a recent Hawthorne bride...if you search back a bit, I believe she posted some photos of her wedding --- or you could page her on the board...GL w/ your planning
  • Options
    njlfrednjlfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have much to offer since I didn't coordinate with the hotel at all, but my SIL had her wedding shower there.  I'm guessing the size of her shower is comparable to the size of the wedding you are planning on having.  The room we were put in for the shower was really too small for our group.  So, my one suggestion is to make sure you know what you are getting for the reduced price of the value package and that you are happy with the space. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I finish up at camp in 4 weeks, so will be going to visit asap. I'm hoping they can put together a custom package for me, because a lot of the things they include in the value packages I really dont want as I'm planning to DIY them and want it done my way. Thanks for the feedback! Also, can anyone give me any clue as to how easily accessible it is from Boston Logan international using public transport? I'm British and have friends and family who will be coming over from the UK who are too young to hire a car here.
    Married! "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards