New York-New York City
Options

Affordable Wedding Venues in NYC - No, REALLY affordable...

Hello everyone!

Just starting the planning process for my wedding.  My fiance and I are on a serious budget for a wedding NYC - a daunting task, to say the least.  I've looked at a lot of venues online and some that were suggested on these boards, but I figured I'd go directly to the source. 

If anyone knows of a truly affordable wedding venue in Manhattan, I would love the suggestion!  I know of Astra, Alger House, and the Columbia Faculty Club.  Our wedding is looking like it will be about 100 people and I'd love to have dinner and dancing.  I don't mind a buffet either.  We're trying to keep our budget to $15K total.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you!!

Re: Affordable Wedding Venues in NYC - No, REALLY affordable...

• Options
    That's pretty tough to do in the city.  Have you thought about a sunday brunch/lunch option?  Have you tried to look to see if any of the other boroughs have any options in your range?  At a15k budget you're probably looking to pay around 70-80/person, unless you intend to sacrifice everything else (fotos, very inexpensive dress, decor, flowers, etc.). 
  • Options
    Agree with previous poster. Assuming when you say total 15K budget that includes everything outside of catering as well.  Just keeping food/venue costs alone to 15K is tricky in the city. Options open up a bit if you consider outer boroughs, LI and NJ.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  Unfortunately I'm limited to Manhattan.  My fiance and I live here.  We have all of our family and friends coming in from out of town/state so getting people to LI or NJ is not really an option.  None of them will have cars or transportation of their own so the money we'd save on the venue and catering would be spent on transportation for guests.

It's going to be a difficult budgeting/planning process for sure!
  • Options

Are the outer boroughs not an option?  Your guests wouldn't necessarily need a car - there are public transport options or you could choose a hotel located very close to whatever venue you choose.  100 people is a lot of people in Manhattan for under $15k.  Are you looking to have the wedding on a Saturday nigt?

I thought the Sunday brunch/lunch option was a good suggestion.

• Options
    My wedding is for 80 ppl less than 8k. Im using dumbo loft on a friday in brooklyn for 1500 for 10 hours.
  • Options
    I'm saving by having a fake cake and serving sheet cakes the guests won't see. Paying 400 for my fake display cake and sheet cakes for 250 guests. Also the Battery gardens is beautiful and my friend paid 30 pp on a Friday night
  • Options
    Hi - curious what DUMBO loft you're using? I too am looking for an affordable venue in brooklyn or the city or even lower Westchester (public transportation accessible). This is a great thread - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Congratulations!

Have you looked at the Renaissance in Astoria? Not much to look at from the outside, but the inside is gorgeous, and it's right by the bridge--quick cab ride for your guests. 

Good luck with your planning!

L
  • Options

Raw venue + this caterer = Savings and affordable wedding
    One and only caterer I would recommend is Creative Foods Catering

I used them last year for my wedding and everything was fantastic. Their cost was fraction of any quotes I received from other caterers. The menu was filled with all upscale items such as Filet Mignon, Salmon, Crab Cakes etc.

They allowed me to provide liquor (a big money saver!!) they provided bartenders and all other staff. You even choose the staff’s uniform!! We used a raw wedding venue in Manhattan for 150 guests.

Their website is:

http://www.CreativeFoodsCatering.com

914-882-3986

I highly recommend it !!

• Options
    Can I have the name of the loft you used? I too am a budget bride, 50 people and want to keep it under 10k
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I just wanted to bump this up because I was also be interested in hearing of some more budget options in NYC.

Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HI YOU CAN TRY THE BOROUGH OF BROOKLYN AND LOOK INTO SIRICO'S CATERING THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD WITH BUDGET AND THE PLACE IS VERY ELEGANT.  HOPE THIS HELPS.  ALL THE BEST
  • Options
    I'm looking into Dumbo Loft too! Anyone know of any affordable venues?
  • Options
    angel243243angel243243 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2013
    Hii, Im in the same situtation  budget for mid 2014.  I was wondering if you found a place yet, or any suggestions, maybe we can help eachother out!

In Response to <a rel="nofollow" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_affordable-wedding-venues-nyc-really-affordable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:8ea87ff9-aeb1-43cf-93aa-9b2e3ff65c0bPost:83ae6870-4865-40a7-b8b7-96a000492dcf">Affordable Wedding Venues in NYC - No, REALLY affordable...</a>:
    <blockquote class="Quote"><div class="QuoteText">Hello everyone! Just starting the planning process for my wedding.  My fiance and I are on a serious budget for a wedding NYC - a daunting task, to say the least.  I've looked at a lot of venues online and some that were suggested on these boards, but I figured I'd go directly to the source.  If anyone knows of a truly affordable wedding venue in Manhattan, I would love the suggestion!  I know of Astra, Alger House, and the Columbia Faculty Club.  Our wedding is looking like it will be about 100 people and I'd love to have dinner and dancing.  I don't mind a buffet either.  We're trying to keep our budget to $15K total. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you!!
    Posted by jrthurman19</div></blockquote>
  • Options
    Could you tell me the raw space in Manhattan that you used?
    thank you
  • Options

Hi! I'm curious to know what open loft you used in NYC for 150 guests? I'm looking to do something similar, but the spaces are often too small or too expensive (i see your from Hudson Valley as well) :-)

I'm looking for a space that could fit 150 guests with dancing.

Thanks!

• Options
    Im getting married also in 2014 and need a venue for around 250-300 that isnt expensive im trying best to keep my budget 15k or less.. Food, decorations and the rest are being covered from my family.. I just need a venue that is nice but affordable less than 6,000 if possible. Thanks!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_affordable-wedding-venues-nyc-really-affordable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:8ea87ff9-aeb1-43cf-93aa-9b2e3ff65c0bPost:1c9b44ed-d907-454b-9a5b-8821ad52b1bf">Re: Affordable Wedding Venues in NYC - No, REALLY affordable...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hii, Im in the same situtation 15K budget for mid 2014.  I was wondering if you found a place yet, or any suggestions, maybe we can help eachother out! also, my Finace and I do photography so if you dotn have that covered yet then maybe we can work something out :-)  <a href="http://www.inspiredbyAngelique.com" rel="nofollow">www.inspiredbyAngelique.com</a> In Response to Affordable Wedding Venues in NYC - No, REALLY affordable... :
    Posted by angel243243[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    amynangamynang member
    First Comment
    Super interested in this loft space....can you offer up the information by any chance?  I would sooooo greatly appreciate it!

n Response to Re: Affordable Wedding Venues in NYC - No, REALLY affordable...:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is for 80 ppl less than 8k. Im using dumbo loft on a friday in brooklyn for 1500 for 10 hours.
    Posted by bkpinkbride[/QUOTE]
  • Options

I am not 100% sure this is the venue, but this is the Dumbo Loft

www.thedumboloft.com/

• Options
    plima1plima1 member
    First Comment
    @ daze89

Have you tried Villa Russo or Dante's on the Boulevard, both in Queens? Choosing a buffet option rather than sit down could also save some money. It's much difficult when that guest list is way up there, if you really can't do above 6k I recommend cutting that list down.
  • Options
    If you are willing to travel uptown, you could try Tian at the River - right on the Hudson on West 145th Street.  Quite excellent.  You could DIY at the YWCA on the east side (I think 76th Street) - gone to nice parties there.
  • Options
    If you go the "brunch" route on a Friday or Saturday, you could find some places.  Check out www.weddingsitesandservices.com for some clues.

You could also do a  yacht party earlier in the day with appetizers, drinks and a small buffet which can run about $100 per person.

Think weekday and brunch for savings.  That's what we're doing - a weekday brunch.  Check out our venue:

• Options
    Hi y'all... I'm looking for a delicious caterer that fits my budget. I'm looking at the Queens. County farm museum for the venue but in desperately need of a caterer. Let me know if anyone knows of some place
  • Options
    I live in DUMBO and I always hear about people having weddings at Re Bar. Worth checking out! Good luck
  • Options
    YOU SHOULD TRY USING MADELINES CATERING ON 22ND STREET DELICIOUS AND RELIABLE CATERING THAT IS NOT SO EXPENSIVE
  • Options
    good thread! Gonna look into what's posted.
    I need some places as well...although I want the ceremony onsite.
  • Options
    Try NYFA Event space in Dumbo- large open loft space and under $1500 for most events
    www.nyfa.org/space
  • Options
    hi!! this is exactly what i'm looking for--did you ever find a place??
  • Options
    did you find a place?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards