Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth

2»

Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:26fc5744-4056-4b3b-aabc-11d61faeb020">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]Biggest problem here: This wasn't enacted by congress... the power that is supposed to write the laws. Executive branch is supposed to enforce laws. This was a complete violation of the separation of powers. Also this is going to just incentivize MORE illegal immigration, so I doubt anyone who works in those offices should get too excited just yet. Yes they were just children... but they were children who already benefited greatly from the system. Free education on the tax payers' dime. Free emergency room visits on the tax payers' dime. I'm not sure what great things these minors have contributed to our society when they've already taken so much. This will lead to amnesty... which I think is so unfair to those who have tried legally to get over here, rather than presuming they are entitled to it. EDIT: Don't mean offense to anyone who has loved ones that this affects... but my opinion doesn't change... so often we hear: "Your case is not special. Don't tier your wedding." "Your case is not special. Don't not invite SOs" "Your case is not special. Don't invite people to pre-wedding parties that you don't plan to invite to the wedding." "Your case is not special. You are here illegally. You should not be allowed to stay."
    Posted by aurianna[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I find it hard to believe that you read the same thing that the rest of us read. We're talking about <em>children/teens</em> brought here at an age when they <em>weren't given a choice</em>. We're not talking murderers or child molesters. WTF is wrong with you?

I just want to give you an example of the kind of person this law benefits: My BIL was brought here when he was <em>fourteen years old</em> to care for his mother who had entered this country illegally some years before and was working until she discovered she had breast cancer. She sent for him and what was he supposed to do? So he came here and started working <em>seventy hours a week</em> to support her and pay her medical bills (free emergency room visits--good one, btw). He is now twenty-two years old, works full-time, and has a wife and two beautiful sons. He has never so much as littered. But he is stuck at a dead-end job because of his illegal status. He would benefit greatly from a work visa, and so would my little nephews, since he could get a higher-paying job and maybe spend more time at home with his family instead of working. My BIL is a smart, motivated, law-abiding, tax-paying <em>homeowner</em>.

But I guess his case is not special and he should get deported? Would that make you feel better?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ali, clearly I don't know your BIL's situation, so this is DEFINITELY NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but has he spoken with an attorney?  He can't file any kind of adjustment of status based on his marriage to a U.S. Citizen?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:d5e30999-a3df-4d9a-8015-5219bae7c09a">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ali, clearly I don't know your BIL's situation, so this is DEFINITELY NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but has he spoken with an attorney?  He can't file any kind of adjustment of status based on his marriage to a U.S. Citizen?
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

They have been attorney-hunting; they met with one right after they got married, but they had to save their money when my sister got pregnant with their second son. It's definitely in the works, though, and sounds much more promising now that this legislation exists.

From what I understand, this kind of thing was a lot easier before 9/11. :/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:397cee87-e79c-4157-876c-ff663002d80b">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth : Also, it is not just crossing the border that is illegal. Their continued presence is illegal. That education they've obtained illegally. And now they can use it to obtain jobs that, with these high unemployment rates, could go to citizens or those who have worked hard to properly secure a work visa. If they are educated here in America and get to adulthood, then they've hopefully been taught about the laws... shouldn't they respect them? If they don't respect our law and land then why do they want to stay? EDIT: The military portion of this is the only part I support (though still prefer it was passed by congress instead). If you are willing to die for this country, served and were honorably discharged, you should be allowed to obtain visas.

People with a honorable discharge were already guaranteed citizenship. That was a red herring. That has actually been a law since the Civil War.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:c2e182be-f011-4d95-84ad-2f8402e42d2e">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth : People with a honorable discharge were already guaranteed citizenship. That was a red herring. That has actually been a law since the Civil War.
    Posted by daffydillie[/QUOTE]

<div>Um.  No.  Not even a little but, but cool story.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:5f2a310e-28d3-41d3-892d-beb5272a305c">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth : Um.  No.  Not even a little but, but cool story.
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

Tell that to my German Lietenant who after 5 years of service was eligible for citizenship. They get dishonorables for identity theft or trying to use their status to get out of service.

Cool story though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, that's not accurate, but what do I know?  It's just what I do for a living.  I'm sure you know more about it than I do.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:397cee87-e79c-4157-876c-ff663002d80b">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth : Also, it is not just crossing the border that is illegal. <strong>Their continued presence is illegal. That education they've obtained illegally. </strong>And now they can use it to obtain jobs that, with these high unemployment rates, could go to citizens or those who have worked hard to properly secure a work visa. If they are educated here in America and get to adulthood, then they've hopefully been taught about the laws... shouldn't they respect them? If they don't respect our law and land then why do they want to stay? EDIT: The military portion of this is the only part I support (though still prefer it was passed by congress instead). If you are willing to die for this country, served and were honorably discharged, you should be allowed to obtain visas.

Sorry, Charlie.

Plyler v. Doe, a Supreme Court ruling upholding the right (yes, right) of every child in America regardless of status to receive an education.

Wouldyou rather there was an uneducated underclass of people incentivized to a life of crime because schools shutter their doors to them?  That's a country I definitely don't want to live in.
  • Options
    pearlaquapearlaqua member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:26fc5744-4056-4b3b-aabc-11d61faeb020">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]Biggest problem here: This wasn't enacted by congress... the power that is supposed to write the laws. Executive branch is supposed to enforce laws. This was a complete violation of the separation of powers. Also this is going to just incentivize MORE illegal immigration, so I doubt anyone who works in those offices should get too excited just yet. Yes they were just children... but they were children who already benefited greatly from the system. <strong>Free education on the tax payers' dime. Free emergency room visits on the tax payers' dime</strong>. I'm not sure what great things these minors have contributed to our society when they've already taken so much. This will lead to amnesty... which I think is so unfair to those who have tried legally to get over here, rather than presuming they are entitled to it. EDIT: Don't mean offense to anyone who has loved ones that this affects... but my opinion doesn't change... so often we hear: "Your case is not special. Don't tier your wedding." "Your case is not special. Don't not invite SOs" "Your case is not special. Don't invite people to pre-wedding parties that you don't plan to invite to the wedding." "Your case is not special. You are here illegally. You should not be allowed to stay."

You are aware that undocument immigrants pay into the tax system, too right?

And those with jobs in the informal economy are employed by U.S. citizens more often than not, right?  Because crapping on immigrants trying to feed their families is easier than looking at employers who are giving them jobs.

Also, you are aware that having more people be eligible to the formal conomy via residency and work permits is going to GREAT for the economy, right?  All those people will pay taxes our country needs (hello, Social Security!).

I'm not sure why I'm feeding this troll, but facts are good to know before we descend into  "Murrica!!!!" and "They took our jerbs!"
  • Options
    pearlaquapearlaqua member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:6fd3e50c-4c06-4392-9087-da3f832ba840">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]If a parent knows that if they can stay hidden for 5 years their kids won't be deported, it creates a greater pay off for the risk. How would that not encourage people who were already on the cusp of sneaking in? Also,what kind of proof do these people need to offer up that they've been here for 5 years, exactly?

Because immigration is a complex issue??

Obama has deported more people than any president in a LONG time and he is enforcing immigration laws.  He made this latest change to reconcile the fact that there are people who have made the US their home (children) who are better to have as residents who work jobs and pay taxes than to ship them off.

You'll note that Obama has drawn a lot of ire from the Hispanic community in the past few years for his harsh immigration enforcement, so it's not all sunshine and lollipops but FOX News was too busy investigating his Muslimism to report Obama's record of securing the borders for actual threats.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth:
    [QUOTDo you not need a SS#?

Nope!

The SSadminstration issues ITINs= Income Tax Identification Numbers so people without SSNs can pay into the system but not get SS Benefits at the end of their career. The numbers on this are interesting because the only people who get ITINs are those ineligible for  SSNs, so basically you have a chunk of SSN benefits doled out paid for by your friendly neighborhood undocumented immigrant.

But that isn't on the news because an immigrant contributing to America isn't a sexy story.

ALSO: per your lovely wedding etiquette metaphor (or whatnot) you only go where you are invited.  The Statue of Liberty has a terrific little invitation carved in stone last I checked.  Maybe those immigrants just didn't RSVP?!  *

*I am joking. I don't actually advocate for willy nilly immigration laws, but rejecting people who want to work, pay taxes, and contribute to the U.S. seems cruel.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:d0476f68-799d-4736-b313-9b66dfe4ef87">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE] ALSO: per your lovely wedding etiquette metaphor (or whatnot) you only go where you are invited.  The Statue of Liberty has a terrific little invitation carved in stone last I checked.  Maybe those immigrants just didn't RSVP?!  * *I am joking. I don't actually advocate for willy nilly immigration laws, but rejecting people who want to work, pay taxes, and contribute to the U.S. seems cruel.
    Posted by pearlaqua[/QUOTE]

So, like, right now for example. The Haitians need to come to America. But some people are all, "What about the strain on our resources?" Well, it's like when I had this garden party for my father's birthday, right? I put R.S.V.P. 'cause it was a sit-down dinner. But some people came that, like, did not R.S.V.P. I was, like, totally buggin.' I had to haul ass to the kitchen, redistribute the food and squish in extra place settings. But by the end of the day it was, like, the more the merrier. And so if the government could just get to the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Haitians. And in conclusion, may I please remind you it does not say R.S.V.P. on the Statue of Liberty. Thank you very much.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_deferred-action-for-dream-act-eligible-youth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdaabf08-07d5-4c0e-a10c-99a0535fbe1dPost:cc6e0764-5abb-49aa-b423-ba38831a9f38">Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deferred action for Dream Act eligible youth : So, like, right now for example. The Haitians need to come to America. But some people are all, "What about the strain on our resources?" Well, it's like when I had this garden party for my father's birthday, right? I put R.S.V.P. 'cause it was a sit-down dinner. But some people came that, like, did not R.S.V.P. I was, like, totally buggin.' I had to haul ass to the kitchen, redistribute the food and squish in extra place settings. But by the end of the day it was, like, the more the merrier. And so if the government could just get to the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Haitians. And in conclusion, may I please remind you it does not say R.S.V.P. on the Statue of Liberty. Thank you very much.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Inadvertent "Clueless" reference on my part?  I am going to go pat myself on the back. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards