New Jersey
Options

Vendor meals...

So I'm debating whether to do what Tif did or not...buy a BIG sub from the supermarket, with pasta salad, chips, etc and feed vendors that way = saving lots of money...or fee them the typical vendor meal from the venueIs it cheap and tacky to do the first option?
~Chelsea~
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Vendor meals...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do any of your contracts state that you need to feed them a hot meal??  If not, go for it. 
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol! So the question really is....Do you think Tif is cheap and/or tacky?
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know everyone is going to say yes--cheap, rude, tacky.But all of Tif's vendors really liked it, and said it was awesome after eating wedding food every weekend. (This is what they told her DOC, so it's not like they were just trying to be nice to her.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha Steph - not at all, in fact I think it's brilliant...otherwise I wouldn't be pondering the idea. Just curious what other people think. Only one contract states that they request I provide a meal...doesn't state "hot" specifically I don't believe.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if it did, you could order a tray of ziti or something. I'm not sure that any vendor would quit working or something because the meal wasn't hot anyway.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could contact them and ask what they'd prefer.FWIW I don't think a sandwich is tacky. I'd just be sure they either have a choice that day or can tell you what you want ahead of time (example, you don't want to order a ham sandwich and then find out they're Jewish or a vegetarian).
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, there was a big part of me that felt cheap and tacky leading up to the day.  In the end though, my DOC told me everyone was glad to have it.  I guess when you eat wedding food every weekend it starts to lose it's luster.I also had 17 vendors to feed, so the savings was pretty substantial.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    By the way, the vendors were still chowing down at the cocktail hour anyway, which is really when the best food is served.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya, I can imagine what a HUGE savings that was Tif. I was telling my Mom what you did when I was home and she thinks I should do it to save money. I don't have anywhere near as many vendors as you however.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    simplyceesimplycee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure to check your reception venue contract first. I too thought this was a great idea...until I read that we're not allowed to bring in food from the outside. It's one thing to sneak in a bag of bagels for when the girls are getting ready, but a 6ft sub is kinda hard to hide.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Terrific point!!! Wouldn't have thought of that. See, I'm glad I posted! lol
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    yankees320yankees320 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea, but def. check with your venue. I briefly considered this, but my venue wouldn't allow outside food. My vendors still picked from the cocktail hour though, so I think the sub combo would have been plenty.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah def get it approved first.FWIW, The Villa's contract also says no outside food, but they are fine with bringing in candy for a candy buffet and (obviously) vendor meals if you ask.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's one thing to sneak in a bag of bagels for when the girls are getting ready, but a 6ft sub is kinda hard to hide.That makes me think of that Cosby Show episode where all the men "gave birth" and Bill Cosby gave birth to the giant sub and the bottle of soda :)
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    17 vendors is a ton.   this i understand.  however, my vote is still no... you should feed your vendors the same hot meal you and your guests are enjoying. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I could go either way on this. On the one hand they are people you are paying to be there, not your close friends and family. Yes they should get a meal but does it need to be a $50+ meal? On the flip said you've already spent $$, so what's another couple of dollars to feed people that are helping make your special day special? I guess it really just comes down to budget and how many vendors you have to feed. If you only have 2 or 3 vendors then how much are you really saving? But if you have a full band to feed, plus 2 photographers, DOC it can start to add up really quickly and getting subs and pasta salad would be a significant savings.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be surprised if the venue allowed outside food, is it tacky, not if the vendors like it and it isnt in sight of guests
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When i went to a wedding planning workshop they suggested doing this as a way to save money or they suggested just paying them money outright and letting them bring in their own food.  I would think that vendors get tired of eating wedding food everyday.  I would maybe ask them first though and see what they would want. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually never considered this but if it saves $ I think you should consider it.  Where would they eat?  Our vendors (Band, photog, video) will have their own table (= one mor centerpiece too :-( ). Our reception hall does offer 1/2 price for vendors (although that is still substantial) - maybe the venue can work something on the pricing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's a good question. I would imagine they set up a table for them back in the cocktail hour room or somewhere outside the main ballroom.  Atrium girls...fill me in here! lol As for cost, they charge 50% for vendors...which still adds up. At least another $300+.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chelsea I guess it depends which room you are in downstairs mine had a small table in the back more towards where the bar was .....I only had 5 vendors though so I imagine I wouldve just put another big table if I had more...I also was under my numbers and they let me use the vendors in my count
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the upstairs room.  I hope I don't have trouble meeting my minimum, which I was able to negotiate down to 180. I invited 244 so I shouldn't have a problem *crossing fingers*.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you positive that your venue would charge you for them? The VR didn't charge for our vendor meals and they fed them from our menu.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
    5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • Options
    Kim84mKim84m member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would say it depends alot on the venue. Some venue's offer sandwiches or hot means already.. some venues that offer discounts on vendor meals, give the vendors old soggy left over food, which is why some vendors may PREFER sandwhiches. and some venues feed the vendors really good, which makes them super thankful to you. i would ask your vendors what they'd prefer. you wouldnt want to give them meat when they're vegetarians, and you may not want to give them sandwhiches if they would find it insulting, because they might not treat you as good anymore, (wrong i know, but still the case) but then they might love the idea, and then you wouldnt have to worry about it.
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    usually venues charge less for vendor meals...no alcohol.i do think it looks a little cheap to buy a sub, but i'm not in your pocketbook so do whatever works for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    buying subs is totally tackalicious imo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not getting charged for a vendor meal at all and they said they would give the vendors a meal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely have to pay for vendor meals, I know that for a fact. It's 50% of the normal price per person.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My vote is cheap and tacky. And maybe Tiff's vendors loved it, but maybe not.  What was the DOC going to say- "all your vendors think you are cheap and were talking sh*t about you behind your back"?If they are really so sick of wedding food, they could bring their own subs.  Clearly that isn't happening.
  • Options
    Kim84mKim84m member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    certain vendors, like the ones that are with you all day, can't bring their own food because it will go bad, unless they drag a cooler along with them all day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards