Plus-Sized
Options

Horrible Pictures

Okay, So my photographer is a Knot suggested vendor right?
He had amazing reviews right?
I was able to look through a few of his sample works, online and in the studio and they were beautiful right?
Than why am I so heart broken about these pictures??
They are just my save the dates, but they look just awful! 
I'm a big girl, and my husband-to-be is big as well, but its almost like this photographer had never shot a big couple before. 
They were horrible angles, and unflattering poses.
He shot us like a normal, or small couple, and now I am sending out my save the dates, and I'm horrified.
I am humiliated to send these pictures out, any ideas on what to do??

I could really use some advice, if I could get my money back I would, but I'm signed into a contract.

Nic. Cry

Re: Horrible Pictures

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_horrible-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:9dd7fbc8-db1d-45ee-be57-506d3b832038Post:d7ae0204-ff78-47cf-801e-c3e051249b2d">Horrible Pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, So my photographer is a Knot suggested vendor right? He had amazing reviews right? I was able to look through a few of his sample works, online and in the studio and they were beautiful right? Than why am I so heart broken about these pictures?? They are just my save the dates, but they look just awful!  I'm a big girl, and my husband-to-be is big as well, but its almost like this photographer had never shot a big couple before.  They were horrible angles, and unflattering poses. He shot us like a normal, or small couple, and now I am sending out my save the dates, and I'm horrified. I am humiliated to send these pictures out, any ideas on what to do?? I could really use some advice, if I could get my money back I would, but I'm signed into a contract.  Nic. 
    Posted by Namaazzanami[/QUOTE]

A few options..
    1.  (This is probably what I would do) If you feel comfortable, you could express these feelings with the photographer. Maybe they will offer a second engagement session to keep your business and a positive reputation. If you're signed into a contract (usually you've paid a deposit), depending on the specifics, you could break the contract and only be out the deposit. For example, my deposit was equal to the cost of the engagement shoot without a wedding package, so if I broke the contract after the engagement session, they get paid for that but I can go with someone else.
    2.  Depending on the contract and the $ you would be out, you could break the contract.
    3.  Send save the dates without pictures.

I'm sure you're criticisms of the photos are legitimate, but maybe not as bad as you think (a person is often their own worst critic). Would you want to share an example picture with us? Maybe some outside opinions would help you decide what to do?
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  I'd sent save the dates without picutes and express your concern with your photographer.  If you choose not to lose your deposit and continue with this photographer let this photographer know exactly what you'd like and maybe show him/her pictures of bigger couples where the angle is flattering.  The last thing you want is to feel this disappointment with your wedding photos.  Good luck.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_horrible-pictures?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:9dd7fbc8-db1d-45ee-be57-506d3b832038Post:d7ae0204-ff78-47cf-801e-c3e051249b2d">Horrible Pictures</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, So my photographer is a Knot suggested vendor right? He had amazing reviews right? I was able to look through a few of his sample works, online and in the studio and they were beautiful right? Than why am I so heart broken about these pictures?? They are just my save the dates, but they look just awful!  I'm a big girl, and my husband-to-be is big as well, but its almost like this photographer had never shot a big couple before.  They were horrible angles, and unflattering poses. He shot us like a normal, or small couple, and now I am sending out my save the dates, and I'm horrified. I am humiliated to send these pictures out, any ideas on what to do?? I could really use some advice, if I could get my money back I would, but I'm signed into a contract.  Nic. 
    Posted by Namaazzanami[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry this happened. I would seriously talk to the photographer and ask him to re-shoot you, and explain the problems that you are feeling. 

I actually had someone do an engagement shoot and every double chin I had was showing, my boobs were squished, etc.  Out of 50 pictures, maybe 4 were usable.  I talked to her and told her my concerns, and said "I wish you would have told me to stand up straight or that my boobs were squished".  Her response was that she didn't know we were worried about posture.  I switched photographers and didn't use the photos on our STDs.

You need to feel good about your photos. If your current photographer doesn't know how to shoot different body types, find someone that does.  PS.  The vendors on TK pay to be on TK, and in my experience, TK will remove any bad reviews if a vendor petitions them.  Try finding a photographer by word of mouth, instead of here.
  • Options
    ditto PPs.  I would talk to the photographer and see if he's willing to work with you; and I'd want a second shoot (or samples of plus-size couples?) to make sure that he actually DOES know how to frame a bigger couple before risking that on your wedding photos (even if you end up losing your deposit).

We do tend to be our own worst critics; and I didn't love EVERY one of our engagement photos because I felt like I looked fat in some of them (the ones of us walking, for example) but I really did like probably 90% of them. 

As for the STDs - maybe see if you can crop one or two down where you like them better? or use another photo you already had? Otherwise a photo-less STD is fine.
  • Options
    these are the best from the bunch...

• Options
    They aren't bad. They look a little overly "staged" to me. But they are ok.
  • Options
    I would definately talk to your photographer about a reshoot.  You also should make sure that YOU are in charge of your photographs. I wonder if you felt uncomfortable or awkward when the pictures were being taken.  You have to know your body type and what does and doesn't look good in pictures. I wore dark colors and made sure if I was sitting to be close to the edge so my stomach wouldn't pop out. I always put my tongue in the top of my mouth and pushed my chin out and then down-some of these help hide double chins.  And dress in layers, they help hide and distract from any problem areas.  Google engagement pictures and you can look for girls who are built like you and see what poses they look good in and try to copy those.  I read up tons on posing before hand.  And finally, if you can't get a reshoot, see if you can find a friend who has Photoshop (or take a class, talk to some college students, etc) and try to work some magic.  Luckily I was able to take the edge of a couple errant stomach and back rolls that showed up in my pictures and I didn't make myself look skinny, just blended in the unwanted extra bits.  As a plus sized girl, when it comes to pictures you have to know how to present yourself no matter who is taking the pictures.  Practice posing in your dress with a friend and figure out, even in not so great pictures, which positions and angles look good.  Makes for a fun afternoon!  Good luck and I'm so sorry you had such a disappointing session.
  • Options
    the above poster has some great advice.  if you didn't do it for this shoot, you also might consider going to and getting your hair and makeup professionally done.  You can get makeup done at the Macys makeup counter or at a MAC store.  Do your very best to stand up straight in photos, that will help suck in your belly.  Wear something darker and more flowy.  Also, consider wearing spanx under whatever you decide to wear.  It will help smooth you out, and in my experience, sort of forces you to be more aware of your body and how you are standing.

Talk to your photographer and ask for a reshoot and tell him/her your concerns. Ask him/her if they have ever shot a plus size couple, and that you wished you would have been given better posing/posture directions and see if they will do a reshoot for you.
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2012
    PS - I just read your post on the etiquette board about sending out STDs, and you are only 4 months from your wedding.  I would just skip sending them out all together.  It's already really too late to sending out STDs, and your invites will be going out in about 8 weeks.   Just skip the STDs, but work with your photographer anyway about dealing with your dislike of your photos.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Horrible Pictures:
    PS.  The vendors on TK pay to be on TK, and in my experience, TK will remove any bad reviews if a vendor petitions them.  Try finding a photographer by word of mouth, instead of here.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I seldom post directly on the boards, but this post was sent to me and I really want to respond. (I am the founder of The Knot.) I am so sorry you are not happy with your engagement pictures and I agree with everyone who posted: you should give your photographer the feedback. No business person likes to disappoint a client and if you present your feelings calmly and nicely, I bet they will respond well. I find most professionals will do the right thing.

I just want to make a note about the above comment I quoted. Yes, the vendors on The Knot are paid listings. We do this to make sure these people are legitimate businesses, not just weekend wedding professionals with a free listing. I do want to be very clear though -- becuase I fight very hard for this: We DO NOT remove negative reviews, otherwise what would be the point?  And we get a lot of flack from our clients accordingly.  I make the point that our brides are smart enough to read reviews and take the good with the bad. I hope that you all will spread the word to fellow brides about this fact. We were founded to truly help brides plan weddings and I take this very seriously.

All the best to everyone on this string. And happy holidays!
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Horrible Pictures:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Horrible Pictures:PS.nbsp; The vendors on TK pay to be on TK, and in my experience, TK will remove any bad reviews if a vendor petitions them.nbsp; Try finding a photographer by word of mouth, instead of here.Posted by cmgilpinI seldom post directly on the boards, but this post was sent to me and I really want to respond. I am the founder of The Knot. I am so sorry you are not happy with your engagement pictures and I agree with everyone who posted: you should give your photographer the feedback. No business person likes to disappoint a client and if you present your feelings calmly and nicely, I bet they will respond well. I find most professionals will do the right thing.I just want to make a note about the above comment I quoted. Yes, the vendors on The Knot are paid listings. We do this to make sure these people are legitimate businesses, not just weekend wedding professionals with a free listing. I do want to be very clear though becuase I fight very hard for this: We DO NOT remove negative reviews, otherwise what would be the point?nbsp; And we get a lot of flack from our clients accordingly.nbsp; I make the point that our brides are smart enough to read reviews and take the good with the bad. I hope that you all will spread the word to fellow brides about this fact. We were founded to truly help brides plan weddings and I take this very seriously.All the best to everyone on this string. And happy holidays! Posted by CarleyRoney[QUOTE]

Thank for clarifying Carly. I'm surprised about reviews not being removed. There were a few girls on my month board that had this problem. The bride posted a review and the vendor disputed it and the original review or the bride's rebuttal dissapeared.

So I don't know if its repeated technical glitches, or if the reviews were purposefully removed. But they were gone, either way.

Many of the brides on my month board didn't bother writing reviews because they figured if they were negative or the vrndor disputed it, they would be removed anyway.

Hopefully that helps clear up my comment above and why that perception was there.
  • Options
    No offense, but I would find a new photographer. It's pretty obvious based on the photos you've posted that they haven't been in this game long. The poses they've got you in are overly staged, the angles aren't flattering and to be perfectly frank the photos aren't even exposed well (they look poorly photoshopped).

For your next photographer, find examples of photos you like (examples of plus size figures is even better) - not just poses but the style as well (shallow depth of field, close-ups etc.). You can do so much better than this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards