September 2012 Weddings
Options

Father/Daugther Dances

Okay need a little help ladies. I am doing two father/daugther dances. This is a suprise to both my sisters and my father because they didn't get to do this at their weddings (one did JP and the other one asked her stepfather to do it instead of our father; tacky and ugly in my book). Anyway, I am trying to choose a song that would fit.  Our father/daugther dance song is going to be "Hey Good Lookin'" by Hank Williams cause when he use to pick me up from work, he would always say "Hey good lookin' ,what you got cookin'?"!  I always cooked dinner for my dad and still do. I have no idea what to pick.
Anniversary Vacation

Re: Father/Daugther Dances

• Options
    I'm a little confused. What do you need help picking? A second song for the stepdad? Sorry just a little confused. If it's a second song, we are doing 'little wonders' by Rob Thomas. It's not a mushy song but talks about life and all the little things that make it worth it.
  • Options
    I'm not much help... I don't have a song picked out yet...

Are you going to surprise him day of? I'd probably tell him ahead of time just because he might be nervous if he didn't know it was coming, KWIM?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_fatherdaugther-dances?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:692f7ccc-7e40-4686-b566-4c964ab40955Post:b781b928-6a0a-4d47-8f95-3ece0ae1d7e4">Re: Father/Daugther Dances</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a little confused. What do you need help picking? A second song for the stepdad? Sorry just a little confused. If it's a second song, we are doing 'little wonders' by Rob Thomas. It's not a mushy song but talks about life and all the little things that make it worth it.
    Posted by futuregabriel[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry for the confusion. Typing this while at lunch and boss walked in asking a question. Life in Finance is fun lol Anyway, my oldest sister (we share the same dad, different moms) decided at her wedding to have her stepfather do the father/daugther dance with her instead of our father. I found it serious tacky and a bit mean after our dad help pay for her wedding and all. I am needing help picking a second father/daugther dance he will share with her and his stepdaugther, my middle sister (same mom, different dads).
    Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_fatherdaugther-dances?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:692f7ccc-7e40-4686-b566-4c964ab40955Post:b781b928-6a0a-4d47-8f95-3ece0ae1d7e4">Re: Father/Daugther Dances</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a little confused. What do you need help picking? A second song for the stepdad? Sorry just a little confused. If it's a second song, we are doing 'little wonders' by Rob Thomas. It's not a mushy song but talks about life and all the little things that make it worth it.
    Posted by futuregabriel[/QUOTE]

I'm a little confused as well!  Sorry!  I wasn't sure if you meant the second song was for the stepdad or for your sisters to dance with your dad.  I also agree with PP in not surprising people with it the day of.  You can mention it closer to the date but give them some warning as I know I'd be freaked out to have someone call me out and make me dance in front of everyone on the spot.  If you meant a dance for your sisters and dad, I'd check with them first.  There may be a reason your sister picked her stepdad over your dad that you don't know about.

ETA:  Sorry I was posting when you posted your explanation!  I think it is really cute but just because family dynamics can be so complicated, I'd run it by them first.  Your sister could have done two dances (one with dad and one with stepdad) and chose not too.  More than being tacky I'd bet there is something else there.  For example, FI is tight with his sister but she is older than him so he knows some stuff he was too young to be explained way back when.  These days there is serious tension between FI's sister and FI's dad that we don't understand and no one will talk about.  She doesn't even want to sit with her parents at the reception.  Even if the tension isn't that blatant there may be something going on.  To avoid any pressure on them at the wedding, I'd talk to your sis
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_fatherdaugther-dances?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:692f7ccc-7e40-4686-b566-4c964ab40955Post:30c5cc2d-4c8b-4af8-a1d5-e6f34257c4ee">Re: Father/Daugther Dances</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not much help... I don't have a song picked out yet... Are you going to surprise him day of? I'd probably tell him ahead of time just because he might be nervous if he didn't know it was coming, KWIM?
    Posted by AriesAngel86[/QUOTE]

Yes i am going to surprise ALL of them the day of. Neither my sisters or my dad knows its coming. I am going to have them dance first before I do my dance. FI thinks its wondering I am sharing that moment with both my sisters and dad. Dad wouldn't be nervous lol He would be a proud papa bear in that moment lol :)
    Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Just a suggestion - some people really don't like being put in the spotlight. You know these people better than we do, but just be really careful about pulling someone out to dance in front of all of your wedding guests.

Which brings me to my second point. I really don't mean to be offensive by saying this, but if I was a wedding guest I would be really, really confused why I was watching two people dance if one of the people wasn't the bride or groom. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but if your sisters and dad are dancing alone in front of everyone else who is there, guests may not understand what's going on. I get that you want them to have a shot at dancing since they didn't get to do it but I'm not sure your wedding is the most appropriate time for that.
  • Options

Sounds like I should run this by them first before I do it. Even with reading this, starting to think this was a bad idea from the jump. Going to tell FI to cut it off the list and just not worry about it. Anyway, thanks for your help ladies.

Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    I don't think anyone said it was a bad idea...  If you want to do it, for all means go for it. I think there was just concern that it might make them uncomfortable if it was on the spot and not discussed beforehand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks Aries :)  I didn't think for one second that anyone thought it was a bad idea. These ladies are great. I started to think about it and realized I didn't really think it thru personally. I talked with over with FI and he thinks it was a good idea but since I shared a lot with both of them anyway, I need to make that moment special between just dad and me.
    Anniversary Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards