Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

3 Large Tables..Assign?

My guest list is currently at 220. We live out of town and everyone attending will be coming from out of town. (Between 5 and 12 hours away). We are expecting 100 people. I like the idea of one long, rectangular table. FI hates that idea because he doesn't think people would be able to socialize. I disagree. We also talked about having 3 parallel rectangular tables. I would assign tables, but not seats. I would like to reserve the seats surrounding FI and I for immediate family and let everyone else choose. FI thinks we should assigns seats if we do the long rectangular table/s.

I was just reading a previous thread about not assigning tables, and was amazed how many people thought it was rude not to. :/  I guess I'm one of "those" people. I haven't been to very many weddings, and I have never been to one where they didn't assign tabes. I guess that should be a hint to me...

Re: 3 Large Tables..Assign?

• Options
    misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    First of all, can your space fit 220? I think in this case, it would be best to assign seats. Otherwise, people are tripping over each other trying to get in one and you'll have several people leave one seat between them.
  • Options
    I think if you go with the three large tables for 220 guests then you need to assign seats and not just tables.

People tend to leave open seats between couples and other individuals.  Think of the movie theater on an opening night of a big movie.  Even though the theater is sold out and the movie goers know this they will still leave open seats between groups and individuals.  I don't know many people who will just sit next to a stranger just becasue they feel like it.

• Options
    Im with your husband.     

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm totally with your husband.  With your proposal you are incredibly limited in who you can talk to.  don't like it at all.
  • Options
    Agree with the PPs, especially with one long table (which could be a logistical nightmare when it comes to people visiting with the people not right next to them) I feel like you're going to have a lot of people sitting in little weird clumps that will make it awkward for people wanting to sit with each other that get their after the first few people have taken seats. (And Maggie totally called it with the leaving an empty seat thing. It's sort of an unspoken rule of leaving a polite amount of personal space that is so entire engrained that most people do it even when someone's probably going to have to take the odd seat out anyway)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    I attended a wedding where they had about 12 long tables. They "broke" the tables in half - so they gave each table two numbers. You sat on the side of the table that had your number. You could do that, but break the three tables into three pieces each.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. It makes sense to me now. I just needed more opinions.

And, yes, the space is big enough. It is outside on 14 acres. :)

I just like the idea of large tables. I love the idea of "breaking" the tables like zoberg suggested. I think that's what we will do.

thanks, again.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:3 Large Tables..Assign?:[QUOTE]I think if you go with the three large tables for 220 guests then you need to assign seats and not just tables.People tend to leave open seats between couples and other individuals.nbsp; Think of the movie theater on an opening night of a big movie.nbsp; Even though the theater is sold out and the movie goers know this they will still leave open seats between groups and individuals.nbsp; I don't know many people who will just sit next to a stranger just becasue they feel like it. Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
    omigosh I definitely agree with this analogy.

I mean, assign tables or assign seats, for sure. At assigned tables it's a little less awkward to ask people to shift over. With assigned seats, you won't need to at all.
    If your group is used to assigned tables, that's a huge sign right there.
  • Options
    We had several 30-people banquet tables at our reception. We had zero room for an extra table, so we assigned individual seats.

Making the chart was a pain, but in the end it worked out well and we even had several people tell us they really liked it. Especially the people who didn't know anyone else; they liked who we sat them with.

It also made dinner service smoother since the staff knew exactly where to put chicken vs steak.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards