Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Is it okay to serve light food at 8:30 reception?

I'd really love to get sunset pictures between the ceremony & reception, so I'm thinking of planning for a 7:00 PM lakeside wedding with an 8:30 reception to follow (there is about a half hour drive between the ceremony and reception locations).

If the ceremony starts at 7, do you think it would be appropriate to only serve light refreshments at the reception? My thought is that everyone will have already eaten dinner. Plus, I've always been the kind of girl to want to get straight to the dancing and celebrating! But I know the reception is for the guests so I don't want them to feel like I'm cheating them by not serving them a four course meal. What kind of food do you think would be appropriate? Appetizers? Hors d'oeuvres? Any specific ideas? Or should we still do a full meal?

Or does this idea not make sense at all? I'm really good at overlooking flaws in my plans! :P

Re: Is it okay to serve light food at 8:30 reception?

• Options
    Sorry, but you would need to serve a meal for a 7pm wedding as that is a meal time. In order to be a dessert or HD reception, you would have to start the ceremony at 8:30/9.

It needn't be an expensive four course meal- you could do BBQ or pasta. If the wedding time cannot be moved, you must serve enough food to constitute a meal. Otherwise people are going to leave early to go and get dinner. The best way to ensure people stay for dancing and celebrating is to make sure they have enough food and drinks (that also means no cash bar!).
  • Options
    Nope.  It isn't about the reception start time, it's about the WEDDING start time.  Most of your guests will arrive at 6:30 for your ceremony.  That means they'll leave between 5:30 and 6, depending on where they are located.  That puts getting ready starting as early as 4 or 4:30.  Now, do you REALLY think most people will be eating dinner at 3pm?  Or getting ready at 2pm or 3pm so they have time to stop and eat a 4:30 or 5pm dinner on the way to your wedding?

Serve a meal.
    Exactly. 

But it doesn't have to be a long, lingering meal. Have appetizers of some sort (stations, or passed appetizers) during the cocktail hour (from 7:30-8:30, according to your timeline). And have the first course of the meal ready to go at 8:30...for instance, you could have salad already on the tables as people take their seats. You do your first dance while they eat their salads, and maybe the father-daughter dance also. Then the main course is served. While they are eating you visit all the tables, and also cut the cake. By the time everyone is finished eating, you're also done with all the wedding stuff, and can get right to the dancing! 
  • Options
    People usually take their dinner at around 7-8 pm so it's not cool to serve them light foods at around 8:30 pm. To be able to attend a 7pm ceremony on time, most of them took their last meal at around 4-5pm, so they will be hungry for dinner after the ceremony. Guest can still enjoy the party even if you had serve them a full course meal, I bet.
  • Options
    How long is your ceremony?

In any case, if your ceremony starts before 8pm, yes, a meal is necessary.
  • Options
    You could do heavy apps that would add up to as much food as a meal if you don't want a sit down meal (and I get the feeling that you don't). I would be OK with sliders, mac and cheese cups, mini pizzas, etc, at an 8:30 reception.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards