Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Proper to Say "No Gifts" for Couple in 60's 2nd Marriage??

I talked him out of putting "No Gifts" on the wedding invitations; but, since his family hardly ever gives us any gifts and we shell out for every this-and-that we get invited to, I want to draw the line at saying "no gifts" to them if, or when, they feel like letting us know they are coming to the wedding/reception.
His point is that we are so well off (we're not) and are older that they should not feel like they should give us a gift.  Opinions?

Re: Proper to Say "No Gifts" for Couple in 60's 2nd Marriage??

• Options
    Dont put it or say it anywhere.  If they don't want to give you a gift, they won't.  If they do, you can keep it or donate it if you really don't need it.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    There shouldn't be any mention of gifts (whether you want them or not) on a wedding invitation. If someone asks you where you're registered you can simply say "we'd prefer not to receive gifts." FWIW, my Dad just got remarried in September and they didn't want gifts but still wound up with $600 in restaurant gifts cards and enough cash for two plane tickets to Europe. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It isn't ever proper to mention gifts in invitations or inserts, even to say not to get you any. I would refrain from registering and leave it to people if they want to get you something or not.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You should never bring up gifts.  

If people ask, respond with: "we are registered at Macy's" "we don't need anything, but we are saving for new floors" or "we really don't need anything, your presence is plenty" as you see fit.  
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-to-say-no-gifts-for-couple-in-60s-2nd-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d17e2039-6db7-4676-8430-261235749583Post:4301414b-f216-4656-962b-9b7a2f1a21ba">Re: Proper to Say "No Gifts" for Couple in 60's 2nd Marriage??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should never bring up gifts.   If people ask, respond with: "we are registered at Macy's" "we don't need anything, but we are saving for new floors" or "we really don't need anything, your presence is plenty" as you see fit.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>This.   There are some people who still want to wish you well in your new beginning, and will probably get you gifts.   I like the list of responses MyNameIsNot posted, but you could also suggest to your your friends and family who insist on giving you gifts to take money they would have spent on a gift and donate it to their favorite charity (not yours, theirs) instead.  </div>
    DSC_9275
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards