Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Timeline for cake/dances?

Hey Pittsburgh brides!! I have a question for you girls about the timeline for cake and dancing. Our DJ wants to know this and I haven't really thought about it. so..We are having the cocktail hour/buffet/and then...this is where I get confused.

should you cut the cake right after dinner BEFORE any of the dances? I do have a lot of older family who can't or won't dance. It would be nice to give them cake so they aren't bored. I read at first its typical to cut it later but now that I think about it, thats kind of weird shutting down the dance floor. Do you do the couples dance, cut cake, then proceed to father/daughter..mother/son, etc dances?

I don't know what order these things should go in! Is it weird to have a first dance, then cake..or should cake just be first. Hmmm!? Help! Thank you so much!Laughing
Wedding Countdown Ticker We're Getting Married 11/11/11!! Partywithashark.com -Bre & Aaron

Re: Timeline for cake/dances?

• Options
    edited December 2011

Here's what we did--right after our intros (when ALL the guests were seated), we went straight into our first dance. Then straight to the cake cutting. Then dinner.  It worked out very well. Think about it--it's probably two of the biggest reception photo-ops, and things people want to see. Doing it when everyone was seated for intros and dinner allowed us to do them when everyone had a chance to see/take pictures, and we didn't have someone rushing up--"WAIT you can't cut the cake yet, you have to wait til Granny gets back from the bathroom!" or whatnot. When we finished dinner we mingled and then did my dance with my dad, his dance with his mom, and moved straight into the rest of the dancing.

It's just an idea but it worked really well for us.

Crosswalk
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Pirata's timeline, I think it makes the most sense.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Pirata.  I'm a fan of doing all of the special dances first (first dance, the father/daughter dance, and even the mother of the groom/son dance if you have it).. at this time, the guests are seated at their tables with their cameras out..  after the special dances, the bride and groom cut the cake as a way to introduce the dinner, then after dinner, dance the night away with the guests without having to worry about interrupting the dancing or making the guests sit back down and grab their cameras for any special photo-ops.  Pretty much the only thing that would occur during all the dancing is the boquet/garter toss.

I recently went to a wedding that had this kind of timeline (no bridal party dance either), and everything ran very smoothly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards