Florida-Central Florida
Options

stressed

so my FI and I haven't set a date yet and were starting to think spring 2012 would be when we got married. My FI is going to be working for the state department as a foreign service officer in an embassy. He just passed his clearance and should be called for a either the september or october class. He just informed me last night that he would get his first post a year after he starts meaning fall of 2011.  For me to move over seaswith him we have to be married and I also don't want to plan an orlando wedding abroad, it is hard enough in DC.  Sadly I think things are already booking up for October of next year :(. I am just stressed and don't know what to do. I am the only one that knows how this wedding stuff books. He is just mr. positive oh it will all work out. My mom has to "adjust" to any plans we make, and my FMIL wants to go to everything to help me choose, which I love her but I am not her blood daughter I am her FDIL.

Our budget is a little over 10,000 and his parents are helping us. I just wondering if you ladies knew of venues that were still open for october  of next year that would fit within my budget?   

Thanks for any advice, this is just such a surprise I thought I would have more time to plan. 

Re: stressed

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oct 2011 is very doable. Thats around my budget and I found many venues that worked within our price range.
    We are having our reception at the WPFM so I am partial to that, but anything owned by the city (womens center, civic center etc) will be inexpensive. I know all of the WP city locations you get 20% off if you (or your parents) live in WP. Leu Gardens is also around that price too.
    Just pick 3 ish of each vendor to meet with and make you decision from that. I got engaged in October 2009 and am getting married in July and didn't have any problems with getting any vendors.
    Over christmas break FI, my mom and I went and met with everyone and made decisions and wrote checks for deposits and got all the vendors done. You can do it!
  • Options
    jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    October 2011 is totally doable.  I am November 2011 and everyone keeps saying "wow, you're doing things early!"  (I just booked my venue last month.)  Now, don't get me wrong, start looking, you don't have a ridiculous amount of time to kill, but you absolutely CAN find something.  There are a gazillion places to get married in Orlando.  You'll absolutely find one that you love that is open!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha thanks mlharbis, I hope so. It isn't easy being a budget bride from out of town, kinda hard to afford flying down to orlando.  Luckily my FI has some miles saved up for us for maybe a few flights. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks cheech, I am sad there is only one weekend still available for LMEC and that is my first choice unseen.  It is close to my church and family.  I am worried it will be taken before I can go see it.

I won't be able to get down to see things till august, because my FI is studying for the bar which is the end of July. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That was our number 2 choice.  It is definitely beautiful!!  Is there only one Saturday left or only one weekend day period?  If you are flexible, Fridays and Sundays usually tend to be open longer.  I know when last I spoke to them (about a month ago) they had ALL friday and sundays open for November but only 1 Saturday left.

Even if you don't get LMEC, there are SO MANY beautiful places here to have your wedding!!!  Also, keep in mind, places look totally different in person.  I was the opposite, I was not at all impressed with the LMEC website and then thought the actual venue was gorgeous!!  You may come down and see something you love more than LMEC!!!  I wouldn't stress too much, something will be open and you will love it!!

Also, I went to college in VA and my whole family is from NJ, so I am CONSTANTLY flying and it definitely gets pricey!!  I recommend checking out Airtran's frequent flyer program.  I like it a lot.  Also, Allegiant offers VERY inexpensive flights, as does Spirit.  I also drove form Alexandria, VA to Orlando after Christmas break this year and it only took me 13 hours, so if you don't mind long trips, you can save a lot there too.  It cut our costs in half.  Hope that helps!!! 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    see if you can put down a deposit at LMEC for that date and see if it is refundable. That way you can relax bc you have something but when you can look at it if you don't like it you can change your mind.
    When I first got engaged I was 100% sure I wanted the reception at Leu Gardens. I hadn't seen the room but I knew it had a "wall of windows looking out on the grounds". My mom put a deposit and told me I needed to go look at it. Thank God I did! The colors were awful and the wonderful window looked out onto a gate! So we got our deposit back and went to the farmers market.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't believe the deposit is refundable. I don't want to risk any money before I see it. I can't do anything other than a saturday because the church only holds weddings on a saturday, so that restricts things and makes it more costly.  

I road tipped up to Alexandria from Orlando when I first moved here. Thanks I like air-tan, they have direct flights to orlando and allegiance flies to the sanford airport. 

They have no Saturday's left for november or september only one in october. But it will probably be gone by the time I can see the place in august.  Ugh the stupid state department.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have to do the wedding in October?  Perhaps you could pick a Sat. in August.  I mean, what if your fiance gets transfered in Sept?  that would be pretty scary if he went out earlier and you couldn't get to your wedding.  You could even pick one in June or July.  I bet they are more available then because those are not busy months.  You still have over a year.  You can easily plan a wedding in a year.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    actually every saturday is booked up till the last weekend in october and every weekend is booked in november at the LMEC.  Things book 18 months out.  And while one might thinks august and July wouldn't be ideal months because of the heat, they are really popular. I used to work for a bridal salon and months from april to september were our "wedding season".  

Why wouldn't I be able to get to my wedding? I will be here in the US no matter what till our wedding, it is just easier to do my medical clearance with the state department if we get married before he goes to his post than after.  Also I can not live with him in state department housing abroad if we are not legally married and we don't want to separated. We were long distance for 2.5 years before and don't want to do that again. 

For you ladies who are getting married next year do you know of any available dates when talking with your reception sites? I know you might not remember this since you probably booked right after you got engaged. 

This is just another added stress in my life. I was hopping to settle things down before starting major wedding planning.  In the past three months I have graduated college, done an internship, moved three times, helped my FI move, got engaged, my FI graduated law school, my grandfather died, and had a job change.  I was hoping for a break haha.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry you are stressed.  Take a deep breath, this will be ok!!  I promise!!

For LMEC, some portion of their deposit IS refundable, but I do not believe it is refundable in full.  My mother happened to ask that question last month when we went to visit it.  I don't recall the exact amounts that are refundable at what points, but there were different percentages at different "months out." 

You are correct, LMEC does open their books 18 months out and they do book relatively quickly, but when I booked my venue last month, literally all the venues I went to had a blank sheet for November 2011.  I am from up north, so I know you are panicking, because up there things book WAY early.  I promise you, this is not the case down here.  Yes, some things do book.  LMEC is one of the MOST popular locations in the area, it books very fast, but most places WILL have fall dates open still for 2011.

As far as wedding season, FL is different than up north.  Up north summer is peak wedding season.  Down here many venues offer discounts during these months because things slow down.. a lot.  Getting married at 6pm in VA in July is nothing like getting married at 6pm in FL in July.  There is a difference of about 10 degrees there and a lot of humidity!  If places are booked for fall, you may still be able to find a place you love for summer.

I am sorry you have gone through a lot of stress lately, but this is your wedding!!  This should not be part of your stress!  You WILL find a place, and it WILL be beautiful and you will be ok.  Enjoy this time, you only get it once!  I know planning a wedding from halfway up the coast seems very stressful, but you can do it!  We are here to help!!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks Jennifer but I am actually originally from orlando, I grew up there, hence getting married there. I moved to DC area about three months ago originally for an internship then permanently once I got a job and my FI settled here. I am actually more acquainted with things in Orlando than up here, but of course starting to plan things I am just nervous by the time I get down there the time period I need will be full. 
    I talked to LMEC right after we got engaged in April and they were already booked up next year till august at that time for 2011.  

Since I am getting married at my church in altamonte springs I want a venue close so my guests aren't driving all over town to the reception site.  

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck.  =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unless you have your heart set on LMEC, don't panic. They're an exception compared to most venues.  When I looked in January of this year they were booked for Saturdays through JULY of 2011! However everywhere else I looked was totally open. Don't stress, you'll find something you love. That being said if you DO have your heart set on LMEC, they'll do a 7 day courtesy hold but that won't help too much if you have to plan a trip in August. It is definitely even better than in the pictures & I don't think you'd be disappointed! But I totally get not wanting to put $ down on a place you haven't seen. Another potential problem with them for an OOT bride is they only hold rehearsals Monday-Thursday. They told me they usually are able to make an exception & hold them Friday before the facility is rented for the day (which for us means like 10 am... yay! haha)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice. I would never put a deposit down with out looking at a place first. I am usually an overly cautious person and would take a fine comb to any contract anyway. I don't need a rehearsal because I am having a church wedding. It is just at the top of my list after seeing the website, the location, the price, and all the great reviews.  
  • Options
    ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure someone else will chime in here, but I was considering Courtyard at Lake Lucerne. It looks nice, although I didn't go look in person (I just fell in love with LMEC). Its not a super popular venue, so you may have some luck. I think it was about $2000 for the venue. Also, Casa Feliz is really popular and very pretty. Also about $2000. My budget is a little less than yours, so I'll share any money saving tips I have! I really think most of the venues will still be available. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks I am kinda in love with LMEC too sadly, though could change my mind once I see it, somehow I doubt it.  I have seen both Casa fEliz and Lake Lucerne online. Casa is too small for our guest number and I haven't ruled out Lake Lucerne but isn't high on my list.  Plus I do have an oppinonated FI which can be great but also when he is more picky than me on venue stuff like food and how it looks, can be stressful in the planning.  Nothing can be "too southern looking", or "just too plain" and food is a huge issue because he is kinda a foodie and wants the menue a certain way so we have to rack through every venues food options carefully.  haha and I thought I was the bride to be! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was really kinda ehhh about Lake Lucerne. It's definitely unique... but not very pretty IMO. It's also RIGHT off the highway so the ceremony area is very loud & your hear cars driving by. Have you thought about Leu Gardens? They do two weddings per day (one morning one evening so they won't overlap) it's very pretty & you may have good luck since they're not limited to just one wedding per day. 
  • Options
    Maggie214624Maggie214624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Have you looked into Holy Trinity Reception Center in Maitland?  Not sure what the venue fees are, but you have the option of about three caterers.  I haven't seen it in person, but came across it after we booked our venue.

http://www.holytrinityreceptioncenter.com/

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Some places don't even open their books until a year before. Leu Gardens won't book anything farther than a year in advance so really don't worry. If you really ONLY want LMEC (even though you haven't seen it or any other place) then you will just have to get over the fact that you want to get married in October. If the date/month is more important to you (which it sounds like it is) then you will just have to look around and be more open about locations and find somewhere equally as nice (there are plenty of places I just don't know the Altamonte area) that can accomodate your date. You may get lucky and there will be a cancellation at LMEC by the time you come visit in August. But have a back up plan and many places to look at.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really think you should take a look at Highland Manor.  It is a restaurant with a huge ballroom with crystal chandeliers. The food there is excellent and the restaurant is converted from a historic mansion.  They have a wedding coordinator there who will work with you and their wedding packages include chiavari chairs and are pretty affordable.  

The other possibility is a hotel downtown.  That would really only be a twenty minute drive from Altamonte.  You could also look at the Marriott in Lake Mary although I don't know if it's really a unique location.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just toured the Lakeridge Winery which has BEAUTIFUL and affordable options that you might want to check out.   I was touring with our bride who has a date sooner than yours, and wasn't a problem to book her!
    Good luck!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards