Military Brides
Options

Suggestions?

*This isn't really wedding related, fyi.*

I know that once you become a military wife there are a lot of outlets available to you to meet other wives and make friends. My fiance is at A school in CT though and I'm in California and I'm having a hard time finding military wife/gf/fiance friends! I'm in a big military area but all of the wives are much older than me with kids so I wouldn't really relate. And I don't have the opportunity to meet girls through FI since he's far away.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm feeling like a hermit lately since I don't hang out with anyone Embarassed

Thanks!

Re: Suggestions?

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

You could try looking on Craigslist for groups of people to meet.  I found the soccer team I play on through Craiglist after we moved here.  There is also a site I've heard people mentioned called I think meetup.com, and you can find friends there with similar interests as you.  I have never been on that site, but I know at least on craigslist there are all different kinds of posts, such as people looking for a tennis partner, to book clubs, to just people wanting a coffee friend. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could join a gym? I just got out of the Navy, and Hubby is stationed overseas. I joined a gym and I've made a few friends there! I can totally relate to you though, If I didn't have my pen pal (She knows who she is!!) I'd go crazy, and I met her here on this very board!! If you like the way a certain girl answers questions or something, send her a PM, though you might have to let her know with a post on here or something. Best of Luck!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Will you be living on base? I was in a similar situation this past summer out in CA...my FI was literally the youngest person at his grad school by like 5 years, everyone else was in their 30s and had kids so we felt a little like outcasts. If you meet your neighbors, though, even if you don't bond immediately, they could maybe suggest other routes for you to meet ppl closer to your age- like what's available on diff bases, etc. I agree, even tho everyone was really nice I felt bad because everyone was so busy with their kids all the time I couldn't really relate I just had the kitten haha.

The gym is also a great place! Good luck, I can sympathize:)
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely just reach out to people and do things that you find fun.  Take a class at a local community college - if you wanted to learn guitar, take a cooking class, learn a language, take up painting or ceramics, it's a great opportunity to have fun, learn something new, and meet new people.

I also see no problem with making friends who aren't in the military - you didn't sign up for a cult simply because you're engaged, you can be friends with whomever you want.  Yes, sometimes other military significant others know better what we're going through or can understand the lingo that has become part of our lives, but I do think it's important to actively cultivate non-military friendships as well, so we don't end up living in a bubble.

And yeah, this website is actually a good place to meet people, too! Laughing

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:4e2d59cd-6e5c-471d-86e4-24f0e5c2dd4bPost:7c84ac39-22bb-4f65-839e-5e50e189e712">Re: Suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely just reach out to people and do things that you find fun.  Take a class at a local community college - if you wanted to learn guitar, take a cooking class, learn a language, take up painting or ceramics, it's a great opportunity to have fun, learn something new, and meet new people. I also see no problem with making friends who aren't in the military - y<strong>ou didn't sign up for a cult simply because you're engaged</strong>, you can be friends with whomever you want.  Yes, sometimes other military significant others know better what we're going through or can understand the lingo that has become part of our lives, but I do think it's important to actively cultivate non-military friendships as well, so we don't end up living in a bubble. And yeah, this website is actually a good place to meet people, too!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

this made me laugh because sometimes it does feel like a cult! Not in a bad way but just in a haha way :)
  • Options
    arizonateaarizonatea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! Yeah the cult thing made me laugh too lol Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards