Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Recap

We're taking a short break at the apartment in Paris before heading out for dinner and night-time entertainment.  So, this won't be an entire post-and-run, but I'll run in a bit.  

It was a really awesome day.  Most everything went according to plan or was easily adjusted.  The biggest issue was the weather - it was COLD and windy.  And by cold, I mean 59 degrees, and by windy, I mean gusts up to 40 mph, so that was interesting. My veil tried to attack the guests during the ceremony a couple of times.  We did the ceremony as planned, but had the cocktail hour inside the restaurant.  I wasn't really too cold during the ceremony, but I saw some frozen guests, so we tried to hustle along a bit.  The reception was in the tent, as planned, but they kept the bar inside the restaurant.  They also set it up so that they could use the proshop as the staging area for the food for the reception, which worked really well.

Our ceremony was a HUGE hit, from what I can tell.  We wrote it ourselves.  We pieced together bits from other ceremonies, some cool stuff our friend/officiant found, and some readings - one we used verbatim, and one we tweaked to suit us.  I will add the full text to my bio once I get back - I don't have a copy of it with me.  

Other than it being cold and windy, I couldn't tell you anything that went wrong. Our shuttle bus drove into the wrong spot and became part of the ceremony backdrop, but oh well. The photog was annoyed because it killed his wide angle shot hopes, but I honestly didn't care. And, I was nervous for 2.2 seconds waiting to exit the proshop with dad to walk down the aisle, but that's the only nerves I had all weekend. 

The reception went really well.  We each managed to visit with every guest during happy hour, so we got to sit down and eat our dinner in relative peace.  We made the rounds through the tables a couple more times after that, throughout the night.  The food was awesome - we got lots of unsolicited compliments on it.  The cake was really good, but I didn't eat enough of it, so I'm happy mom's got the top layer at home for us.  We'll likely work on that once we get back from the honeymoon.  If I can, I'll order another one for our 1st anniversary.  

The canolis for the groom's cake were awesome too, and really popular.  Although, we had too many.  And the late-night snack was super popular, though again - perhaps too much food.  They could really have made less of everything except dinner & been ok, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

We actually took a total of 2 dance lessons and learned a few basic things, so our first dance was pretty nice!  I almost tripped over the inside of my dress a couple of times, but I stayed upright.  

Oh - my shoes!  I had them dyed to match the BMs dresses, and they were a huge hit.  People loved them.  And now, I'll get to rewear them.  Only to things that don't require a lot of walking or standing around, though.  I switched to platform flops after awhile because they made my feet a bit ouchy.  

Overall, aside from the weather, I wouldn't have changed a thing.  And - darn near all the guests said it was the best wedding they'd ever attended. Helll yeah!  I had everything WAY over organized, but it made it run so smoothly that day, especially since I didn't have a coordinator.  

The guy who owns the venue did frighten me at one point - told me, halfway through the reception, that they'd never moved so much liquor. Ever. In a single day, anyway - including their New Year's Eve parties. Remember, we had a consumption bar. But, because we got such an awesome price - it was still within our budget. WAHOO! He's getting me a copy of the bar tab because I want to save it. I don't remember how many shots of Sambuca were on there, but it was $375. 

Also - despite traipsing through a field with knee high grass, an old log cabin, and a rock garden - my dress is still really clean. Amazingly so. 

All in all: I throw a kick ass party, H(!) has a spectacular time being the center of attention, I want more wedding cake, and I can't wait for the rest of the pro pics - so far I've just gotten the 3 teasers.
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Wedding Recap

• Options
    Congrats, Squirrly!
  • Options
    Congratulations!

You looked beautiful and I can't wait to see more pics!
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I dont know if I had a chance to say it, but congratulations! You looked so pretty!
  • Options
    Oh, holy long post.  Sorry!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Hi!  Congrats!  You looked beautiful!  We had cold (about 52 degrees), wind, and rain too.  I can't wait to see more pics!  I've been stalking you on FB.

I paged you yesterday, but who'd you have to sleep with to change your sig?  I keep getting the damn error messages and it's annoying me.

Have fun in Paris!  We don't leave until the 22nd, boo.  Being back at work is killing me!
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Congrats Squirrly! I'm so glad everything went smoothly! :)
  • Options

Oooohhhh!! I am so happy for you!! Finally someone on here that I have been talking to for the past couple of months got MARRIED!!! Enjoy the rest of your HM and take lots of pics!!

And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    What an awesome day, Squirrly. Congrats, and enjoy Paris!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Congrats! You guys look great. And I love how that bouquet sash turned out! I can't wait to see pics of your shoes.

Edit: Brie, I FINALLY changed mine after 2 days. Double check your html and use really simple code if you can. My pic is from photobucket, but I took out any extraneous tags on the advice of KA and it worked.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Brie, I didn't have any issue, but I'm using Safari on this laptop right now.  I need to re-do Windows, and all the other browsers are crap for the moment.  So - try Safari if you can, maybe?

I am so happy I am not at work right now. . . sorry you've not HMing right away, but it's something else to look forward to, right?  

Everybody else - thanks for the sweet words!  You all are the best!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Yay!  Congrats, and I can't wait to see more pics!
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hmm.  Will have to try Safari when I get home.

I looove your flowers, too.  I'm usually not a fan of roses, but I love the colors in those.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Congratulations!!  Everything sounds wonderful and you looked absolutely gorgeous :)  Enjoy Paris!
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    And ditto on the flowers. Is there a specific name for those yellowish roses you used?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2010
    There are a few varietals of the yellow-tipped-with-fuschia roses.  I'm not sure
    specifically which one he ordered, but here's the ones I found online & sent to him as
    a starting point:

Our CPs were 3 bubble bowls with one of these same roses floated in each, 
    plus some beargrass. The roses for the CPs were really, really open though.  
    Simple and really pretty.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment

Congratulations!  You were a gorgeous bride, and your new H looks positively dashing in your signature pic.  :)

I can't wait to read the ceremony.   Your bio has become an amazing resource; I actually sent FI there to puruse the readings the other day. 

• Options
    Congratulations!!!  Your pictures look amazing.  Go have fun in Paris.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    So great to read your recap! Congratulations and so glad to hear it went well, sounds like you had the same weather we did, we had to move ours inside because of the mega wind.Enjoy Paris!
  • Options
    Celles, I hate to think of the side-eye anyone's FI would give my bio!  WAY TOO MUCH DIY crap in there.  Hehehehe!  Glad it helps, though, and I'll let you know when I have the ceremony text in there.  
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Congratulations!  It all sounds wonderful and the photo you have in your signature is gorgeous!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    Yup, best party I've EVER been to. It rocked SO hard. And sorry about my part in all that moving alcohol. Dont worry though, I sooo paid for it the next day. I have never, ever been that drunk in my life. Whoops :D
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Dude, I was so excited about the bar bill, I darn near squee'd about it.  I was prepared for double.  I don't think they really got it how much our group drinks.  :D  Glad you enjoyed it, but I think the groomsman at the end of the line (H's oldest brother) paid worse than anybody else.  He was GREEN all day Sunday.

Ok - time to go find dinner!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Have more wine for me!
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Congratulations Squirrley. You pic so far is beautiful Enjoy Paris. It's a lovely city.
  • Options
    Congrats!  You looked beautiful!
  • Options
    omg, you got married?  I had no idea. 

Grats!
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    mmdpmmmdpm member
    First Comment
    Congrats and have fun in Paris!  Also I can't wait for pro pics I think I may use your hair as inspiration for my do!
  • Options
    Congrats! Your sig picture is beeeaautiful :) Have fun in Paris (I'm jealous right now!).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jeez Sucrets where have you been, off having a baby or something? Undecided

Squirrly, you look beautiful in the pictures, I'm so glad everyone had a great time and I've loved all the pictures that have been posted so far. 

Have fun in Paris!
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    I wish I was in Paris right now. Would it be alright if I mailed myself to your hotel? You could just sign for me and then I'd be on my merry way. :)

PS. Congrats, you gorgeous bride, you!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards