Wedding Party
Options

Old Married Hags Unite: Tell me about your...

Pre-wedding nerves.

It is the 2 month mark before my wedding and i'm starting to get them. Not because of FI not being "the right one" or anything. It is just because I'm terrified of passing out or being sick in front of everyone. I guess a few nerves are also because my parents are being more vocal about their divorce as my wedding approaches but what can yah do, right?

Did you get really nervous? Tricks to calming nerves? Have you been to a wedding where anyone fainted or got sick???
Anniversary

Re: Old Married Hags Unite: Tell me about your...

• Options
    I didn't really get that nervous until I was standing there in the white dress with my dad and all my bms were walking down the aisle. I was breathing heavy. I am guessing it was "stage fright".....As soon as I started walking out and saw Aaron, I was good to go.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Hahaha - am I old married hag if I've only been married for a little over 2 months now? lol.

I think the last month was the worst but we were SO busy in the final week it was just crazy. DH's family - 12 inlaws (6 adults and 6 kids under age 12) arrived a week before the wedding. We hosted the RD and a cookout and then a BBQ for 40 family members at our house. That was a bit nuts but we're glad we did and everyone had fun.

I was actually very calm the morning of the wedding and only got butterflies right before I was walking from the bridal suite to the chapel with my girls. We had an awesome DOC provided by the venue who brought us snacks to calm our stomaches beforehand...and my girls were great at helping me stay calm and enjoy it all. When the Chapel doors opened and I walked up with my father, it was such a beautiful moment for me to look at everyone and to see my husband waiting for me. I walked up to the front, kissed my dad before he sat down and turned to my DH. He was smiling from ear to ear and told me, "You look gorgeous." I have so many wonderful memories of our wedding day and it does go by so fast. Just remember that it's all worth it and try to take it all in as it's happening.

You won't pass out or throw up, I promise. Seeing your FI standing up there waiting for you makes it all disappear in an instant.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    I just realized that my first year anniversary is coming up.....Woot!
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    My mom thinks it is hilarious that I have this fear so she keeps trying to make it worse by making jokes or freaking me out in some way. FI jokes that, just in case, he will carry smelling salt in his pocket so that he can revive me quickly if I should pass out. Ha
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yay Stina...are you going to plan anything special?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I wasn't nervous leading up to the wedding, but for the last hour or so before actually getting married I just wanted to get it all over with. Like you said, I wasn't worried about FI or being married, it's just that I was all totally ready, had my pictures done and had nothing to do except sit there and freak out that everyone was going to be late, something was going to go horribly wrong, etc. Of course none of that happened :)

I've only been to one wedding where someone fainted - it was a BM who'd locked her knees and just toppled over. The FOB caught her. So I'd say if you do actually feel lightheaded while you're up there (which you probably won't, but just to make you feel better now if you're worrying), just jiggle your knees a little. That'll keep the blood moving and won't be visible under your dress.
  • Options
    No locking knees-check!

Emily- when did you get back? How was the US Reception?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My biggest fear throughout planning was the thought of walking down the aisle at the church. I hate attention and I was afraid that the processional would just take forever. I told my dad at the rehearsal that he should tell me a funny joke before we started the walk to calm me down.

On the wedding day, we got to the church early, so it was just me and my two BMs sitting outside in the limo waiting to get started (and there was a big crowd outside, which didn't help). My parents got out to shoo them inside, and at 2 p.m. my dad came and got us.

My BMs walked right up the church steps and headed down the aisle, then Dad and I went. And he told me a corny joke :) I think that not having to wait around in the church vestibule really helped, and having only two BMs meant that I was only waiting maybe 20 seconds for my turn to walk. Just standing there probably would've made me nervous, but everything was so quick that I didn't have time to be nervous.
  • Options
    We're thinking about going on a mini trip. We've been talking about London because it's a short plane ride, I've never been, and we could check out some cool stuff in a 4 day trip. I also want to buy our last place setting for our china set. Yeah!
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wasn't nervous at all until about an hour before the wedding.  Then I was pretty much only nervous because I was afraid I was going to forget our vows (we memorized them).  I got really emotional when I was walking down the aisle, but I was quickly able to overcome the happy tears and just turn it into a happy smile. :)

Once I was up there with H, it was like no one else was even there.  I wasn't nervous at all.

Oh, and I remembered our vows perfectly. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_old-married-hags-unite-tell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c82ff7ab-92ad-4981-b59f-e6dd462d8858Post:57b580f9-6fc4-4a37-81ad-e21d04884026">Re: Old Married Hags Unite: Tell me about your...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're thinking about going on a mini trip. We've been talking about London because it's a short plane ride, I've never been, and we could check out some cool stuff in a 4 day trip. I also want to buy our last place setting for our china set. Yeah!
    Posted by stina93446[/QUOTE]

Oooh, MH and I just got back from London! (See sig pic) We had never been there before either, and it was so much fun. Defintiely worth it!
  • Options
    Suz, we got back Monday night, 14 hours later than scheduled. after a lovely overnight at the Dallas airport Westin. The worst part is I missed work Monday, so now I have to work over the weekend to make up the hours! But otherwise the trip was great, and our US reception was a lot of fun. The best part was either seeing family and family friends that I hadn't seen in several years (since before moving to Chile) or ice cream cake :)
  • Options
    I wasn't nervous until about 3 minutes before the ceremony started. H was already downstairs and I had just put on my dress and was waiting to go down. My dad was with me and my stomach started to hurt I was so nervous.

When I stepped outside though, I forgot my nerves. It went by so fast that I hardly remember most of it, but I do remember just focusing on H and being like, "I can't believe it's finally here and happening." It was a good feeling.
  • Options
    Ditto Stage--the only time I remember feeling a little nervous was when my Dad and I stood at the back of the church watching the last BM get to the altar and it was our turn. It was my Holy-crap-I'm-really-getting-married-today moment. But I wasn't nervous otherwise that I can remember. I knew DH and I would get married before we even started dating (weird, I know, but about a couple months before we started going out I got a feeling that we would be married with the accompanying, "That's weird" but it was true!). I didn't care about the details. DH and I had a "one day rule" meaning that if something wouldn't matter one day after the wedding, it wasn't worth our time to stress. So when I saw him through the window as we got ready at the reception venue just before pictures, I said, "Oh, good, he showed up!" and knew it would be just fine :) There was, of course, never any doubt that he would show up. And when my uncle said, "I have enough gas in this car to get to Mexico if you don't want to go through with this," on the way to church, I was able to decline :)
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_old-married-hags-unite-tell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c82ff7ab-92ad-4981-b59f-e6dd462d8858Post:dfb9c4dc-e05d-4007-aba1-8479456fb2d5">Re: Old Married Hags Unite: Tell me about your...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I knew DH and I would get married before we even started dating (weird, I know, but about a couple months before we started going out I got a feeling that we would be married with the accompanying, "That's weird" but it was true!). </strong>Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

Brooke! I had the same experience with my husband!  Shortly before DH and I met, I was finally leaving an unhealthy relationship that had dragged out for several years (7 to be exact) and when we finally parted ways for the final time (after several previous breakups and makeups) I had this overwhelming sense of calm and I knew the person I was meant to be with and marry was just around the corner in my life and that the only way there would be room for him would be to let go of this other person once and for all.
    And then I met DH and the rest is history.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    I usually get nervous right before something big.  DH didn't want to see me before the ceremony, so we did a picture of both of us where we could talk but not see each other to help calm my nerves.  We tried to do a picture of us on either side of a doorway/archway but too many guests were around downstairs for that, so we did on either side of the hallway around a circular staircase instead.

I also got a massage the night before and played miss mary mac to distract myself and my BMs and I sang edelweiss right before walking down the aisle because it was playing and we don't mind breaking into song.  Strangely, that helped.
  • Options
    @CT: That's so cute!  It was weird with me and DH; we had been working together and friends outside work for a few months, but I didn't really feel attracted toward him.  I definitely liked spending time with him but I never thought of it as anything more.  Then one day it sort of hit me that we were going to get married, with the accompanying, "Wait, I like DH?  Did not see that coming."  Then one of my future BMs told me she thought I had a crush and I vehemently denied it after I was late to lunch with her because I had been at his house until 4 am watching movies (yes, only watching movies!).  And then about a month or two later he asked me out and the rest is history :)
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I'm worried about passing out, too.  My lady at the dress shop told me to lock eyes with people as you're walking down the aisle so you remember to breathe.

Once I'm up there, I want to hold hands with FI the whole time.  One, because I want to.  Two, because it helps, depending on how light-headed I get, if I have something to hold on to.

Stay hydrated!  Make sure you have some food (sugar) in you too.  Make sure your venue is cool enough for you - you don't want to get overheated.
  • Options
    All I was thinking about prior to my processional was if my 2 year old daughter would make it down the aisle okay.  I was less nervous because I was happy to watch her walk down the aisle right before me with my brother.  It put a smile to my face so that when I walked down the aisle, I wasn't nervous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I got nervous the day of the rehearsal and before the wedding.  I think I just freaked out about how big the commitment was.

But I realized that the only thing that calmed me down was DH.

And we've been married 3 years today!!
  • Options
    Congrats banana!  We had our one-year two weeks ago :)
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    Yay anniversaries!
  • Options
    Just saw this banana - Happy Anniversary! Also, how is the baby doing? I haven't heard about it in awhile.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Happy belated anniversaries to Brooke and Banana!
  • Options
    Thanks emily!  How was your AHR?
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    It was fun! Just a relaxed good time. I will admit to feeling kind of silly about wearing my dress again...even though a lot of people beforehand had asked if I was going to and sounded excited when I said yes, on the day I felt like people were going to think I was the crazy girl who couldn't get over the fact that her wedding had already happened. But of course I put it on, and then everyone (ok, just the girls) was excited I was wearing it, and I was happy to get another use out of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards