Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ok.

Ok. So I've given up on the surprise wedding. I really really still want to do it, but I want my friends there. And he does seem to have some interest in wedding planning. We were watching Bridezillas on Tivo and he said something about how he'd like to do that at our wedding. Some kind of favor, I can't remember. Anyway, after giving it lots of thought, I'd like some more opinions.Propose to him? Or wait patiently and wait for him to propose to me?How do you feel about girls proposing to guys? Do I get him a ring? I've been looking at them, but I'm just not sure.

Re: Ok.

• Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    Great...it sounds like he's thinking about it. Don't rush him.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    You should propose with a fake ring.  But an ice cube instead of a diamond.  Then tell him all your winter wedding plans like the snocone machine favors.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Have you actually talked "marriage" with him, or just "wedding"? There is a difference, a big one. Most men, if they are ready, are willing AND able to propose to their girlfriends.
  • Options
    I've missed the backstory, but were you planning a surprise wedding that he didn't know about? Or just your friends didn't know about?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    When he's ready to get married, he will propose.  You need to be patient.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    Oh it was a big surprise for the GROOM. Isn't that a FUN IDEA?!
  • Options
    Planning a surprise wedding that the groom doesn't know about has got to be the most kickass idea I've ever heard.  Didn't they do that to Gene Simmons on Family Jewels?  Classic.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    I hate watching wedding shows with my FI and I'm engaged to the man.  I couldn't have imagined watching them before we were engaged.I'd hold off on proposing to him and you might want to avoid wedding shows for awhile.  That's a lot of pressure for the guy.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I'm glad you gave up on that idea. Be patient, he'll propose when he's ready.
  • Options
    There's no written rule saying it's the man who has to propose.  If you think that you're both ready to take that step, go ahead and propose.
  • Options
    Why not a ring IN an ice cube?  perfect!While I dont see anything wrong with a girl proposing to a guy, I think you have to be on the same page about getting married.  Maybe ask some questions first to see what his timeline for being married is.
  • Options
    I know some folks who proposed to their guys, but they were super liberal gender-neutral kind of folks. My traditional FI would not have been pleased if I had done this. I'm really sorry I missed your post on Friday. A surprise wedding on an ice rink sounds lovely.
  • Options
    Wow, you're for real?  I thought you only made an appearance for Troll Friday.  Dang.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Well, I didn't know he was really watching, he was doing expense reports on his laptop on the desk next to our TV in the living room. So I took the rare opportunity to watch what I want for once. He's such a remote hog! So, it's not ok for a girl to propose to the guy? I mean, I'm not trying to rush him, but when he says he's ready to marry me and he makes a randon comment about a wedding, it kinda gets me excited, ya know?
  • Options
    You should buy the most expensive ring in the store, and give it to him to propose to you with, if he doesn't do it in a timely manner, withold sex. If he still doesn't do, just wear the ring around and tell everyone you're engaged. He'll eventually come around. This is what I did and it worked!
  • Options
    Just in case you are real-You can propose, but make sure you have had several & I mean several very "grown up" talks about marriage & your life together. Not oh he says he loves me, hehe. But what the heck is the rush anyway?

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    No, I'm not buying myself a ring. That's just silly.
  • Options
    Perhaps instead of proposing, the two of you should TALK about marriage.  My DH didn't propose to me, per se.  We were talking about marriage, and I was like, "I would marry you in a heartbeat."  He said, "let's get maried then."  And viola!  Married.If you are BOTH ready for marriage, talk about what you want/need from each other.  If the two of you decide TOGETHER to get married, then go ring shopping together, and find out if he wants to do a traditional proposal or not. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So, it's not ok for a girl to propose to the guy?I think it's perfectly ok.  I'm not sure about a ring.  My FI wouldn't have worn an engagement ring.  But you don't need a ring to be engaged.The only thing that's not ok is asking somebody to marry you before they are ready.  But this goes for guys asking girls, too.
  • Options
    Most men like to do the proposing. You would be taking that away from him if you proposed.
  • Options
    So I've given up on the surprise weddingBut why? it was such an amazing idea!!Seriously though, you should just hold off for now.  It will happen when its right, any other time will just feel wrong and you will likely regret it.  Just for the record I have no issues with girls proposing, but it usually only works if the guy likes that kind of thing, otherwise he might feel as if your taking his thunder.
  • Options
    Oh, haha yes, so silly. But planning a surprise wedding on Christmas? thats serious
  • Options
    All good thoughts. But why is he dragging his feet? We already own a house together. His mom thought the wedding was a great idea, since she knows he wants to marry me. And we've been together a while! And I just think it would be a really cool story, mix things up a bit!! I have googled engagement rings for guys, there just doesn't seem to be much out there. Thank you TiDa, for your help.
  • Options
    I mean, I'm not trying to rush him, but when he says he's ready to marry me and he makes a randon comment about a wedding, it kinda gets me excited, ya know?Um - planning a wedding without telling him is rushing him.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Talk to him before you do anything.  Find out where he stands, where he sees your relationship heading, if he would like to marry you sometime in the fairly near future, etc.Honestly you know him better than we do, so you have a much better idea of how he would react to you proposing, and how he would take not being able to propose to you.  If you're sure it won't bother him to miss out on that, go ahead, but not until after you've had a few discussions about marriage (not wedding) first.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I like something like this for a man's engagement ring: http://www.tirings.com/interactive-titanium-stackable-rings-78/the-elemental-288928.htmlThen he could just add his wedding band to it!
  • Options
    But why is he dragging his feet? We already own a house togetherOooh.  I get to say this a 2nd time today:There is this saying about a cow and free milk that comes to mind.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    TALK to him. Real honest true communication. Talk about life goals, marriage, kids, a time line, etc. If you bought a house together (hope that means ur name is on the deed) you should be able to talk about life goals.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    No offense to anyone on here, but I think male engagement rings are redonkulous.
  • Options
    Ok, Tide, then I think I should propose to him, if you think that's the case. I don't know why everyone assumes we haven't talked about marriage. Just because I thought a surprise wedding on an ice rink would be fun doesn't mean I'm crazy, nor does it mean we haven't talked about marriage. I have just talked to my friends that are married and some of them say men aren't interested at all in weddings, so I wanted to take it off his hands.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards