Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Anyone do this?

FI is a very paranoid person and thinks it may be a good idea for me to get fake rings for the HM.  Back story: awhile ago my sister went to DR for a trip and a couple in the airport were robbed of all thier jewelry somehow.. he heard this and it fed into his paranoia.My rings aren't huge and "showy" by any means... he just thinks it may be better than taking a chance.Anyone?

Re: Anyone do this?

• Options
    I'm buying CZ rings for my honeymoon.  We're going on a cruise and I'm always terrified I'm going to lose them.
  • Options
    I'm just here to say "I pity the fool!"carry on.
  • Options
    I figure your rings are as likely to get lost/stolen on the honeymoon as they are in any other life situation. I understand the paranoia, but you might as well always wear fake rings if he's that concerned.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    We didn't, but it doesn't sound like the worst idea.  I know my mom had a separate silver band that she wore when they went camping and on other trips just in case.  I don't know if it's really necessary, but I guess it couldn't hurt either.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Why would you buy rings for the HM? Can't you just leave the ering at home?I'm confuzzled. :)
  • Options
    I'm going to leave my e-ring with mine or his mom and just wear my wedding band. Its a plain white gold band, so if it were to get stolen, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Hopefully you have insurance on your rings or travel insurance that would cover it if they were stolen. But, if you are really worried about being mugged fake rings aren't going to prevent that from happening. If you're going somewhere where crime is a concern, I'd be more worried about being hurt or killed during a mugging than losing my jewelry, and not bring/wear any jewelry at all.
  • Options
    I bought our wedding rings at piercing pagoda, so i didn't really think about it.
  • Options
    That's why you get insurance for your rings.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I left the e-ring at home and just wore the band on the honeymoon.
  • Options
    Oh I understand the "it could happen any day..." arguement.  I'm just curious if any has or is thinking of it.
  • Options
    I know another knottie that did just that on her HM. It sounds smart to me. You can always get one that looks similar to yours. We will probably do the same thing. I never used to wear rings and will always take it off when I wash my hands. I'll never forget the boiling look on FI's face the first time I forgot it in the bathroom. opps. I think it's smart - but you do what you gotta do.
  • Options
    I do this. I wear my fake ring at the lake, if it goes in the water oh well. I thought about wearing my fake when I go out to bars, (this isn't often)  but the whole reason I don't wear it at all is bc I don't want to give someone a reason to attack me... so I go ringless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    of course that's what insurance is for, but the money you get from that will never get the same ring FI proposed with.
  • Options
    I'm confuzzled. :) Vogt, I was too when he even brought it up... I had never even thought of doing it.  I might, I might not.  Could be a day before kinda decision.And lala, I pitty the fool too!
  • Options
    But why wear a fake ring?? I don't understand. I get leaving it at home. I'm a softie too, and I love the ring FI got me...I wouldn't replace it for anything. But what is the point of wearing the fake ring?
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    I brought both rings on the HM, but only wore my much less expensive band to the beach during the day. I was nervous about losing it. DH wore his the whole time. We got harassed by the locals to buy/do things because of the "honeymoon specials" so we may have been better off without any rings on at all.
  • Options
    If anything, I may just get a plain fake band.  Which I could also use at school (nursing + nice jewelry = no thanks) too.  Since I didn't wear the ering at clinicals at all anyway.
  • Options
    Vogt, I can't speak for anyone else but I get mini panick attacks if I dont feel it. Then I remember oh okay it's safe, but its just a hassle. Ya know? I guess its bc I play with the ring and I don't realize I do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    But what is the point of wearing the fake ring?My finger will feel neked :)
  • Options
    Neked the whole week is different than just a 5 hour period.
  • Options
    I can see getting the fake band (or even a cheap real one) I suppose if it makes you feel better, then go for it. But the only reason I feel nekkid without my e-ring is when FI isn't around (I forgot it on the way to work one day and turned around to go get it). If your husband is right there, then it's like an instant 3 piece suit :)
  • Options
    Mine always feels naked too. Its not the meaning behind the ring, its just the fact that I get so used to wearing something that it feels weird without it. Mine is off getting resized now (after 6 months because I didn't want to be without it) and I freak out a little bit everytime I realize it isn't there. I'm ready to get it back!
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    i would consider leaving my ering at home too.  and just wearing the band.  but then you could go on vacation and your house could get robbed.  either way you're fuucked. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Only reason I can see to skip the diamonds in a beach resort is swimming with them on.Fish are attracted to glitter, diamonds and gold primarily, and you could wind up witha nasty bite.Lost a bit of an earlobe snorkling in Capri years ago.
  • Options
    lI'll probably just wear the wedding band and leave the e-ring with my parents. Thieves will assume a fake ring is real so I'm still making myself a target. I'd rather just take myself out of contention entirely.
  • Options
    Oot... I'm sorry, but I kinda chuckled a little at the last part of your post.
  • Options
    If your FI is worried about this for the honeymoon, he'll probably be worried about it for every other vacation/trip you take too, no? So I say just get the fake, cheap ring somewhere and be done with it.
  • Options
    I will probably leave my engagement ring at home, and just wear my plain wedding band.  The ring is insured, but that's not the point; I don't want to make myself a target for robbers!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i can understand not wanting to take my rings somewhere they may get lost or stolen.  what i cannot understand is the need to get "fake rings" to wear instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards