Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: Tate Museum Pulls the Plug on Exhibit, WDYT?

• Options
    damn, I can't make it clicky
  • Options
    I Fail!
  • Options
    I'm glad the Tate pulled it. They have some crazy things in there but this was innapropriate IMO.
  • Options
    thanks, ricks!   The point is made that she did pose for those photos when she was ten by that her mother signed the contracts and made her do it.    I seriously doubt that 10 year olds are eager to pose half naked.  or maybe that's just me
  • Options
    oh dear, you made the Donald the Orange
  • Options
    I went and found the image and I'm pretty disturbed that anyone would take an image of Brooke Shields like that in the first place.As for the artwork, I don't study contemporary art so I don't study this artist already. But looking very briefly at his wikipedia and elsewhere, it seems like he is dealing with some interesting issues. I'd reserve judgment about what I thought of the piece as art until I heard more about what I was trying to do. He certainly wouldn't be the first artist to work with images like these (Thomas Eakins and Alfred Stieglitz come to mind).
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Wow that photo is unbelievable.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    Wow, that is disturbing.  I have a 10 yr old daughter and the thought of anyone taking a photo of her like that turns my stomache.
  • Options
    I did not see the photo but read the article. I think it was a poor decision on the part of the museum to display that piece in the first place. There is a certain amount of childhood innocence the I feel is acceptable in art but the description of this particular piece turned my stomach. What makes it worse is that the subject, Brooke Shields, herself is obviously uncomfortable with the piece and tried to get ownership of the negatives almost 30 years ago. Her mother should be ashamed of herself for signing a contract like that for a 10-year old girl. I have no problem with nudity in art, being an artist myself, but there is most definitely a line that should not be crossed which this artist most certainly did.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards