Chinese Weddings
Options

Cheongsam Cost?

Yet another question! For those of you who got a cheongsam for your tea ceremony and/or wedding, would any of you mind sharing about how much you paid for yours? I'm going to HK in a couple of weeks, and my mom says I should try to find one there given the selection they'll probably have, but I don't know how much to expect to pay. I'm hoping it'd be cheaper than most places in the States, so I'd like to get a decent idea of the cost here so I can compare a little. If any of you have been or got your qipao there, any advice on where to go and what to look for? Thanks so much! :)

Re: Cheongsam Cost?

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't, but my mom got one custom made for somewhere between $300 - $400 CAD, not including the cost of the fabric. I was surprised at how pricey it was. But it did look fantastic!Then she bought one off the rack, which happened to fit her perfectly, for somewhere between $100 - $200 CAD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got mine custom made in Boston's Chinatown for a around $250. 
  • Options
    babiefookbabiefook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i got mine in HK custom made, about $250
  • Options
    tohruchantohruchan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i ordered my online from efushop.com; paid $120. very good quality and i highly recommend them! they  make their dresses and ship from china though, and its well known that HK is a mature market so there's no doubt it'll be more expensive there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone! Ms. Wan -- in Boston, did your custom made dress cost include the fabric as well?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alko - yes it did - fabric, lining, and work....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • Options
    IALIAL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine in Beijing (which I know will be different than HK, but still, Asia over the US) and it was only about $100 US. Completely custom made I helped the tailor design it, picked out the fabric, and had 3 fittings. Plus it was finished in less than 2 weeks! It just seems so much easier to get it over there rather than finding an affordable place in the US, especially since you're going to be there anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just had my first visit to the Chinese seamstress today here in Chicago. I was going to get a qipao/cheongsam made, but I am not as skinny as most Asian girls! So she is making a 2 piece set for me. The fabric my future MIL bought in China. So she is charging me $140 for everything! That was much less than I expected!
  • Options
    happysighhappysigh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought mine at KK Boutique in Vancouver chinatown off the rack for $120 and no tax (my mom haggled and we paid cash....although it was embarassing, she got us a heck of a deal)! I did have to get it altered to fit because it was a little loose but fortunately, I have a family friend who was able to do the tailoring for me. PIB. Have fun in HK!
  • Options
    happysighhappysigh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Doh, I forgot to add that it was $120 CDN since we purchased in Vancouver. The ones out here in San Francisco were double the price and was in USD.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol happysigh -- I need my mom to go to HK with me to haggle for me! I can't do it very well because I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to that. I will likely just get one off the rack, so I'm hoping it wont need much altering. I wouldn't imagine altering one of those would cost as much as a wedding dress (at least I certainly hope not). Thanks for the great input ladies, as always. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and thanks happysigh. It's my first time, so I'm excited! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wonder if I'm too late to answer your question and if you're in HK already, but you can get a Cheongsam made by hopping across the border in Shenzhen, China for about 50-100USD depending on the fabric you choose, whether you want it lined, whether you want it hand-painted, hand-made buttons, etc. (300-700rmb) There is a train that takes you directly there that is part of the HK metro. You get there and it's called Luohu Commercial City (罗湖商业城)and it is right next to the train exit after you cross the China/HK border This is way cheaper than in HK and the tailors are quick and great. You'll a Chinese visa if you don't have an HK resident card though. You'll have 1 draft fitting, so expect to have to travel into China 3 times to make the order, draft fit, and then pick up. It usually takes about 4-5 days for them to complete it. Learn to haggle. Luohu commericial city is a giant mall filled with goods and you can usually cut their opening price by 50% here, 75% if you're good.
  • Options
    seevictoriaseevictoria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Law Wu. They have the cheapest but best quality Cheongsam or QiPao tailer service there. For about $50 USD, you will be able to get something really good there!
  • Options
    ll2014ll2014 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alko726 - don't think you would like Lowu in Shenzhen, China much if you do not like to haggle and the logistics of getting a multiple entry visa is a painSomething to consider if definitely the duration of your stay in HK - and how quick the tailor can get fittings turned around...However, if you find a dress off the rack you like there - definitely buy it there and get it tailored back home - think that would be the best and most efficient way to shop for your dress and enjoy your time in HK
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards