Military Brides
Options

General Questions

Hey guys, This is my first time posting on the military board but my fiance is about to go to Officer Candidate School and we were planning a wedding for January 2011. We have discussed going to the JOP before he starts and then having our vow renewal ceremony and reception on our original date, if everything works out to have it then. I'm not sure how I feel about this because I worry if it takes anything away from the bigger ceremony/reception later. For those of you that have done this, how did it feel for you?

Re: General Questions

• Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, OCS isn't too bad, and you get to communicate, unlike boot camp...so if it were me (my fiance finished OCS in August) you can take the time he's there to just plan your wedding while he's gone, it'll keep you occupied.We thought about eloping a bit and doing something later, but I just felt it wouldn't be the same and that it would take away. We'd already be married so it just seemed like it would ruin the whole wedding aspect.I just thought that this would be our day, and I wanted to do it the more traditional way, but that was just me.It depends on if you want to wait over a year...But if he's finished his OCS training and has his degree, he may be in training or deployed by Jan 11....keep that in mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Jop is good, if you want to get married quick before a deployment, or something. I eloped and we had a cute little ceremony. But now that I'm a little older, I want to have the big ceremony. It isn't the same without family, and friends there.
  • Options
    tendonheadtendonhead member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your help. So if he is still in trainings in January 11, is he not allowed to take leave on a Saturday? Is there usually any time between training and going to his permanent duty station that he could take leave or is it all depending on the individual situation?
  • Options
    MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The JOP question is a very personal decision.  It depends on what feels right for you and your FI and what makes sense as far as deployment schedule, etc.  We chose not to JOP - however that does mean that our wedding date is a year and a half away.
  • Options
    loveandligninloveandlignin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think JOP would be good if he were getting ready to deploy so that you could be on the contact list, "just in case." OCS will be okay for you guys, like a pp said earlier, you'll still be able to communicate and I think you'll be able to see each other (I grew up in an officer's family so I've never had OCS experience). But no matter what you decide, it's still going to be special! Maybe you could have a JOP and then a huge party afterwards for family and friends, and then the "big" wedding later when OCS is over? I have a friend whose FI is deploying next June and that's what they're doing.
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For PP, your FI/bf can put you on his 'to contact' list. You don't have to be married.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While in OCS, they do get weekends off....not usually the first one (in the 6 weeker, idk about the 10 week OCC).They can't go very far though. they usually tend to stay around Q-town aka Quantico, and in D.C. but their time is limited, so you would have to go to him.
  • Options
    tendonheadtendonhead member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys. He just got word from the review board that he was accepted as a Naval Officer so none of the trainings have started yet. I guess I'll have to do the military thing and wait and see what life brings us and go forward from there. Thank you for your help
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to him! (And you!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards