Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Locked card box?

I bought this gorgeous card box from a friend of mine's daughter. FI proceeded to FLIP OUT about the fact that its not locked. It doesnt have a lock, nor does it have a place to PUT a lock. How important is a locked card box? Should I have someone in charge of removing the cards a few times? Should I put a lock on the darn box and be done with it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Locked card box?

• Options
    Hm... do you have a lot of unsavory characters coming to your wedding that would steal your cards?  I wouldn't even think about this.
  • Options
    My card box is an open basket, so clearly I'm not worried about it.  There have been people on here that have heard of people stealing cards, but I never knew that happened until TK. If he's really worried about it, let him put a lock on it.  It's not worth arguing over, really.  If there's no place for a lock, get someone to remove the cards.
  • Options
    NO! thats the thing! We trust everyone coming... i guess FI doesn't trust the waitstaff and the people from the other wedding.
  • Options
    Depends on your venue whether it needs to be watched or not.  Locking it won't help if someone steals the whole darn thing.  Will you be in a hotel or other publicly accessed venue where someone could walk off with it?  I don't think it needs a lock.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Mine was not locked nor did I have it periodically cleared, but I asked a few family members and friends taking turns to keep an eye on the card box at all times. My brother took the card box up to our hotel room just before the reception started (we stayed at the same hotel where the reception was held). I do think it's important to think about this as you could be getting a lot of money in those cards. I think having people watch it will be more effective than a lock. Don't leave it unattended.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    can you glue it somehow?have someone be in charge of putting it into a safe place or even a locked box after the ceremony.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    opps *locked car, not box
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ah, ok, I can kinda see what you're saying.  The last wedding I went to, their card box was in a seperate room away from where most of us were all night.  It probably would have been easy for wait staff or someone to snatch from it. But, I still wouldn't stress over it.
  • Options
    unsavory charactersHahahahahahahahahaahahahahah
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our venue is pretty open and we'll have a lot of staff walking around, so I'll probably have someone keep an eye on it for us. You never know what could happen. But I feel like a lock would be a little strange for our guests to see. I'd be afraid that they would think we didn't trust them or something.
  • Options
    Our card box will be in the same room as we are... but im still going to figure out a way to lock it, just so FI won't worry...
  • Options
    I forget who's bio it was in, but she made her card box from 3 shoeboxes so it was about 2/5 ft high, I don't think anyone could steal that. I love the idea actually.
  • Options
    sorry (2.5)
  • Options
    Ummm I think what her FI is concerned about is that someone will open the box and steal the cards. Not the entire card box.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    You might be thinking of alix's- hers was pretty tall and would be hard to walk out with.  If you decide to get a lock, I'd suggest having it lock at the back so guests don't see it.  I'd find it really tacky.
  • Options
    I'd find it really tacky.Uh, really? Cause I would find it smart in a venue where your wedding isn't the only thing hosted. You can't assume that people working the venues are all of the best character either. It's happened before where cards have been stolen.
  • Options
    Just make it really ugly, then nobody will want to steal it. ;)
  • Options
    Look... would you, under any other circumstances, leave an unlocked box with potentially thousands of $$s sitting out in the open unattended? Don't take any chances! There will be tonnes of people around who aren't wedding guests, plus if it's a well known wedding venue, you never know who could crash it. It's happened.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    Mine didn't come with a lock, but I was able to fashion something to put the lock in to for the reception.  I knew it wasn't Fort Knox or anything, but figured at least the little gold luggage lock would prevent anyone from discreetly putting a card in their pocket.  I didn't think the guests would, but didn't know if any of the vendors would (this happened to my parents once, where my mom found a caterer in her bedroom stealing her jewelry).
  • Options
    Yes, what ring_pop said :)
  • Options
    At the club I work at we leave the card box out for the cocktail hour. Then, when people move to the main dining room, we lock the cardbox up. Only I have the key. If people forgot to give their card during cocktail hour I simply take it from the B&G and lock it too. We have never had a problem with a card box or cards being stolen, but I wouldn't want there to be.
  • Options
    mine was "locked" in a sense there was a ribbon glued all the way around in both directions, part of the design, and the only way to open and get cards out (there was a slit to put in) was to cut the ribbon.  quite clever... although i'm sure someone could have just ran away with the whole box.  considering there were 100 checks made out to me and 0 cash, that person would have wasted a lot of time.
  • Options
    Our venue kept the box visable until the ceremony started, then removed the box and all the gifts and put them in a locked room for us to get the next morning. I guess someone from the venue could have stolen from it, theoretically, but since a specific person was in charge of doing that I think the venue would have had to do something for us if anything was stolen. Don't have your mom or MOH in charge of it. Its fine if they are in charge of putting it away, but the last thing either of them need to be doing the reception is babysitting your gifts. They should be having fun and socializing.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    The only way to get into mine was the small slit cut in the back. I shook it and got the cards out, but it took some time and you'd definitely be caught going after anything in it. You could just put a rattle snake in the bottom, but I don't know how you'd get the cards out afterwards.
  • Options
    I'm liking the rattlesnake idea... maybe some poison ivy too?
  • Options
    You could just put a rattle snake in the bottom, but I don't know how you'd get the cards out afterwards. ha ha!
  • Options
    It's not the guests you've invited that you have to worry about.  Anyone dressed up formally is going to be able to pass as a wedding guest long enough to steal cards/an unmonitored card box if they have such a mind.I've read of several instances of this happening at other weddings, and one of the photographers had his bag stolen at my sister's wedding.I don't think a lock is the solution, though it's not a bad idea.  Just make sure that someone is monitoring the box at all times, and stash it somewhere once the reception gets going.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    See, the Italians solved this issue a long time ago.  I forget what it's called (it starts with a B) but he bride carries a large silk purse and as she greets the guests, they give her the cards and they go in the bag on her wrist.  I dare anyone to try to get that bag from her.
  • Options
    Ooh.. a bosta? Someone asked about this on my local a while ago and I was utterly confused.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    I used duct tape to attach the top of ours.   It was pretty hard to pull off... I may have gone a little duct tape crazy but it did the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards