Gay Weddings
Options

Help. plz. How to go about a name change.

hey everyone.  my fiance and i will be getting married next year in ct.  How do we go about changing  my last name to hers? do we have to do it while we are in ct? or can we do it when we get back home in fl? Is this something we go before we get married? Im just confused.

Im so excited to finally take her last name.iv been waiting 5 1/2 years for her to ask me. Im just ready to be married and change my name.  I wonder how do we go about maybe changing my daughters so we all would have the last name. thanks for the help :)

Re: Help. plz. How to go about a name change.

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In terms of changing your own name, you may actually have to go through the process of a legal name change in Florida.  While the Social Security office will accept a Connecticut marriage certificate as proof of a changed name, Florida (citing its local Defense of Marriage law) will not.  Thus, if you try to change your name based on the marriage certificate, you run the risk of your Social Security card not matching your driver's license.

As for your daughters, most court systems will not allow a change of a minor's name to the name of a new spouse (same-sex or otherwise) unless the father has totally surrendered parental rights.  However, you need to check with a local lawyer on this point.
  • Options
    KalithiaKalithia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to do a legal name change in NC so all my documents match.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can file for a domestic partnership in FL and then go through the process for a legal name change.  Changing your daughter's last name will be harder.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my daughters last name is actually the same as mine. i didnt want her to have her fathers last name. would that make any difference?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards