Illinois-Chicago

Does anyone have any experience with alterations at Macy's Bridal Salon??

Got a fab dress there recently, but I'm a street size 2-4 and the dress is a sample 10. I'm just wondering what to expect, price wise and overall from the alterations department there? I can't take the dress elsewhere for estimates because Macy's won't ever take it back for alterations if I wanted to go with them after getting estimates. Please share your experiences if you have any! Thanks...

Re: Does anyone have any experience with alterations at Macy's Bridal Salon??

• edited December 2011
    Its standard at every bridal shop that if you take the dress elsewhere to get alterations, they cannot be held responsible for what happens to the dress. At HOB, i was quoted $320 for unlimited alterations. At the place I bought my dress they quoted me $225. I had an okay experience at Macys. The consultant was very pushy, but other than that it was nice. I ended up getting my dress at a different place ultimately.
  • edited December 2011
    How would Macy's know that you took it somewhere else to get estimates? I am pretty sure Macy's will be expensive and it's gonna take a lot of work to take the dress in. Good Luck!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • MopsieBMopsieB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They know because they keep the dress at the store after you buy it if you intend to have your dress altered there. In other words, you can take it home with you after you buy it, but you cannot bring it back to them after you've checked estimates elsewhere. I feel kind of stuck because I don't feel like schlepping around a beautiful, expensive dress for alterations. My sister-in-law had a good experience with alterations there, but that was 11 years ago, when it was still Marshall Field's. (As it is, it's not really Macy's but Demetrios Group that runs the bridal salon)...Here are their rules: http://www.macys.com/media/bridal/infoguide.pdf

Anyway, I'm just soliciting people's experiences there or in general...
  • edited December 2011
    I would never do alts at the place where I bought my dress.  Get it done by an outside seamstress and you'll save yourself a ton of money and probably have a better experience overall. 

I used Cori with Stitch of Bliss. www.stitchofbliss.com  She comes to you no matter where you live in the Chicago area, so it's really convenient.  Prices are under $200 for the most part.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_anyone-experience-alterations-macys-bridal-salon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:402329de-29f1-40ec-9e3c-5835e95e5938Post:dc081092-4a25-4f5d-8fb4-d7786f89310d">Re: Does anyone have any experience with alterations at Macy's Bridal Salon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would never do alts at the place where I bought my dress.  <strong>Get it done by an outside seamstress and you'll save yourself a ton of money and probably have a better experience overall.</strong>  I used Cori with Stitch of Bliss. <a href="http://www.stitchofbliss.com" rel="nofollow">www.stitchofbliss.com</a>  She comes to you no matter where you live in the Chicago area, so it's really convenient.  Prices are under $200 for the most part.  
    Posted by mbf124[/QUOTE]
    Ditto. 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards