Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cocktail hour help please

I've just started thinking about what kinds of food I want to serve at cocktail hour. The reception will be pretty casual, dinner  and cocktail hour will be outdoors weather permitting. For dinner we're having a hog roast with lots of sides, and we'll have lemonade, soda, tea, beer, wine and alcoholic/non-alcoholic slushies. We're doing antipasto for a late night snack. 

I'd like to keep cocktail hour pretty simple so we can just do it ourselves (caterer does the meat ONLY, we're purchasing our sides separately). I went to a wedding once where they had different snack mixes at cocktail hour, and I was thinking about going that direction.

I'm thinking- Puppy chow (muddy buddies)
Ranch oyster crackers
Goldfish crackers
Animal crackers
What else?

Then maybe fruit or something? I was planning on having a veggie tray with dinner, would it be better here instead? If I don't do fruit here, I will serve it with dinner instead. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Cocktail hour help please

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cocktail-hour-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0551b729-eb8f-4b1d-bdb7-2c297d203868Post:3d92f496-86fb-416d-bb32-a08f07d88739">Cocktail hour help please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've just started thinking about what kinds of food I want to serve at cocktail hour. The reception will be pretty casual, dinner  and cocktail hour will be outdoors weather permitting. For dinner we're having a hog roast with lots of sides, and we'll have lemonade, soda, tea, beer, wine and alcoholic/non-alcoholic slushies. We're doing antipasto for a late night snack.  I'd like to keep cocktail hour pretty simple so we can just do it ourselves (caterer does the meat ONLY, we're purchasing our sides separately). I went to a wedding once where they had different snack mixes at cocktail hour, and I was thinking about going that direction. I'm thinking- Puppy chow (muddy buddies) Ranch oyster crackers Goldfish crackers Animal crackers What else? Then maybe fruit or something? I was planning on having a veggie tray with dinner, would it be better here instead? If I don't do fruit here, I will serve it with dinner instead. Any thoughts are appreciated!
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Let me begin by saying that I think the hog roast, sides, and drinks you have planned sounds AWESOME.  I would love that. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think cocktail hour needs some help though; four different varieties of essentially crackers/cereal is not particularly appealing.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I would either skip the puppy chow or make the puppy chow a dessert option or a favor.   I just can't imagine eating that before a meal because it's so sweet. </div><div>
    </div><div>For the ranch-oyster crackers and goldfish....is there a chance that you could almost DIY a Gardetto's Snack Mix sort of thing with both crackers and some nuts, etc?  </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd do a crunchy-snacky type of mix, a cheese platter, a veggie platter, and something like spinach and artichoke dip with tortilla chips and salsa.  It's all nice and casual, but likely to reach a wider variety of tastes.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck!

</div>
  • Options
    That's what I was afraid of Nola! I guess I was trying to cover all my bases or something, but you're right.  Thanks for the ideas though, that sounds good and easy. Not sure why I didn't think of Spinach & Artichoke dip, love that stuff!
  • Options
    Oh, and I had the puppy chow because my kids REALLY want it, but I'll move that to the dessert table instead. That'll be a better spot for it anyway!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Chex Mix or mixed nuts may cater to the salty side while still being simple and decently cheap. A wedding we attended had those items (plus Skittles and stuff, but I wasn't a fan of that) and just used little scoops, or even small plastic cups, to help dish it out.

If you want something a little nicer, maybe a fruit cup (like a pastry cup with a bit of cream with the fruit) or bruschetta - still light enough so people do not lose their appetite before dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards