Second Weddings
Options

Please help with gift ideas for FI!

Hi Ladies,

I can't find anything about this subject, and I'm at a total loss as to what to get my FI as a wedding gift.  I know...I know him so I should be able to figure something out, and maybe I'm overthinking it, but I want something he will treasure, something personal...something that he will see/use on a daily basis that makes him smile and think of me (I don't want much, do I lol).

He doesn't wear jewelry, is very casual style-wise, self employed (insurance agent), likes photography and target shooting.  He's a young 62.  He does like gadgets, but I've never seen one I would consider romantic, lol. 

So, what are you getting your FI???  Maybe it will spark an idea for me.
Thanks!

Re: Please help with gift ideas for FI!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Does he have a heritage that he is particularly proud of?  A favorite artist/ photographer? 

My DH is from Rhode Island, and is particularly proud of those things that are uniquely RI (of which there are quite a few- for a small state, it has its share of quirkiness),  Of particular note, there is a cartoonist who captures and satirizes the quirkiness of the state.  I contacted the cartoonist and commissioned a drawing just for my DH for our wedding.  It was an absolute score, and I think I was more excited about giving him that gift than for the wedding.

So my advice is don't think about "things" he might like, but think about what makes him uniquely him.  That may lead you to what would be the best gift. ~Donna
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My FI has mentioned a few times in passing that he's always wanted a pocketwatch on a chain so I got him one.  It's something that maybe he won't use everyday, but will save for special occasions, and my dream is that he'll pass it down to our children (when/if we have any).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am probably of no help but I got FI a Fenway brick.  It has our name and wedding date on it - they sent me a replica to display in our home (you get a display case also) and then one will be at Fenway.  I know a few other brides have done this as well.

I plan on displaying it at the reception and it will be the first time he sees it.  I am so excited to give it to him!  We decided no gifts but I saw this and had to do it.

My other idea was a watch before I saw this one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't exchange gifts.

For my first wedding, I bought my XH a pair of globe cufflinks that I had custom made.  They were lovely.
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since our wedding date was also our anniversary we did exchange gifts. I'm Native American, so I gave my DH a very heavy masculine silver bracelet cuff inlaid with Sleeping Beauty turquiose.  He tends to wear it more on weekends and special occasions because it is heavier and wider than the first bracelet cuff that I gave him, which he wears daily. 
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

For our handfasting, we exchanged gifts.  However, the tradition is that the bride's parents give him a gift (usually a weapon) and she gets jewelry.  Both of my parents are deceased, so we did something a bit different.  He gave me my engagement ring, and I gave him a dirk to wear with his kilts--it's sort of long knife to wear at his hip.   For our legal wedding, we did not exchange gifts other than the wedding bands, but we agreed on that before hand. 

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He doesn't wear jewelry, is very casual style-wise, self employed (insurance agent), likes photography and target shooting.  He's a young 62.  He does like gadgets, but I've never seen one I would consider romantic, lol. 

He sounds like a great guy (I'm also in insurance, LOL). Is photography a hobby or a serious interest? I love taking pics too, but did it more in my earlier years when I had time. Maybe a photography lesson from a well known photographer in your area? I see you live in Lansing, maybe set him up for a class at MSU?

As for target shooting, I assume this means he may have a gun or guns. What about a special case for it/them? You could get it monogrammed.

My hubby doesn't wear jewelry either, but I did get him black and white rhinestone cufflinks from Swarovski for our wedding. It's a momento, he won't wear them every day, but did wear them for our wedding. He now has something classy, which is something he's never had, LOL. I also like the pocketwatch idea.

Is he into his car? Something unique for that? Make a CD of all the songs he likes that he can play in his car while driving, that's something he'd use every day.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input!  I like several of the above ideas & some of them led to other ideas that fit my FI;   MUCH appreciated :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards