Ohio-Columbus
Options

Can anyone apply to marry people?

My brother is planning on doing it.  He is not a minister but I heard that anyone could get licened to do it.  Does that law apply here?

Thank you

Re: Can anyone apply to marry people?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe it does. I would say maybe google it. I am more than likely having my grandfather do it because he is a mayor of a small town and is legally allowed to marry people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I googled and for whatever reason couldn't find it I figured someone may have had it done or are inthe process.  Thank you for the link so much
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The laws are on the Ohio Secretary of State website. You have to be at least an ordained minister, and provide a certified copy of your creditinals, the application, and fee. Also, it takes a couple of weeks to go through.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    you're welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    egeigeregeiger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to go through a process, but yes, prettymuch anyone is eligible. I did mine through Rose Ministries in Las Vegas. You send them a check, they send you a packet including a letter saying you are a member. You take that letter to the Sec. of States office, write them a check, and they make you legal.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I did mine through Universal Life Church online. It is free to become ordained, but you have to pay around $9 for the certificate, then it was $10 through the state.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies I knew you would know.  Love this board.
  • Options
    hidlynnrhidlynnr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is funny because we also want my brother to perform the ceremony even though he's not a minister. We are so excited about it because we are very close to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah my siblings and I are real close and my family and FI family have been friends for over 20 years so to me its perfect i was just trying to figure out ok how the crap do i do this lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards