October 2012 Weddings
Options

QOTD 3/13

How many dresses did you try on before finding "The One"?  Do you think that this was one of the funnest parts of planning a wedding?
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD 3/13

• Options
    It was definitely one of the more fun parts. I only went to two places but probably tried on 10-15 dresses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I tried on about 6 or 7 dresses before I found it. The entire process took me less than an hour, which was kind of dissappointing b/c I enjoyed it, but I wasn't going to keep looking once I found it.

I didn't find it very "funny" though. It was definitely odd at first to see myself in wedding gowns.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and noticed you said funnest, I thought you said funniest the first time. So to answer your question, yes I really enjoyed it. But it went by too fast!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ali092011Ali092011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I think I tried on about ten. I had a blast with my mom and sister. Definitely one of the best parts of planning.

I bought my dress really early, back in August (after only being engaged a month!). I was browsing in this fancy consignment shop, helping my sister look for maternity clothes, when I saw a wedding dress section. I fell in LOVE with a dress I saw there, but my family cautioned me, since it was the first and only dress I had ever tried on. They were able to hold the dress for me without obligation for two weeks, then the dress would go back on the rack. So I needed to try on dresses earlier than I planned, because I needed to see if there was something I liked better. Turns out it was good advice, because I ended up with the dress I have now, which I definitely love more than any other dress I tried on! Someone else ended up purchasing the dress from the consignment shop. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I think it was about 10. It was the last dress I was going to be able to try on that day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to one store, and tried on either seven or eight, I can't remember. About that. I loved the first one and the last one the most, and then tried to decide between the two. I liked them both so much (and especially the one I ended up choosing!) and was there with my mom and sister/MOH, who are both out of town, so I really wanted to get something that day, rather than do a second trip. I guess if I hadn't been happy with any of them that I might have felt differently though and gone and done more elsewhere.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have tried on a lot of dresses. A lot. It was fun at first, but got pretty frustrating when I kept finding dresses that were almost what I wanted, but not quite. I ultimately found The One on the DB website - and I had not been planning to look at DB at all - and knew the instant I set eyes on the picture, without even trying it on, that it was my dress.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    I went to one place with my mom and older sister just to see which style I would want. Not intending to buy one. I went in with an open mind and my dress was the very first one I tried on! It felt too good to be true! Fit me perfectly, was a sample size in the store and the designer wasn't making it anymore so the store was selling it for a great price! Originally $1200 and I got it for $350. I just couldn't walk away from it! :-)
  • Options
    I tried on 57 dresses. Yes, 57. I kept changing my mind about the style that I wanted.  

I had fun, although I do wish that I didn't stress myself out about it.  I actually wish that I could try on more dresses now that the stressful part of choosing one is gone, but I won't even consider doing that until after the wedding, so as not to jinx myself or get dress regret.  
    -Amanda-
    Rhody Life

Our Favorite Pro Pic

Anniversary
  • Options
    I was really not looking forward to trying on dresses, had no idea what I wanted, and went into it with a totally open mind. I seriously could not tell you how many dresses I tried on, lol. Like a million, that's how I feel. We went to two places, my mom, sister and two friends. They were basically just grabbing dresses and throwing them at me, lol. It got a lot more fun as we went. At the second place we went to, an off-the-rack place, the sales lady was talking to another employee and we overheard her asking if we were going to try on every dress in the store, lol. I kept finding dresses that I only liked part of... like, the top is really nice but I just don't like the bottom. I tried on the dress that I ultimately fell in love with and then tried on maybe like three more because they made me and they had already pulled them off the rack. Then I put mine back on to talk to the seamstress and refused to take it off, lol. I really need to get my siggy pic up so i can show it off : )

This makes me want to put it on, lol
  • Options
    I have tried on a lot of dresses - probably 30 or so!  I first went in July and August and there were several that I liked but I just wasn't ready to commit and I guess I was having a hard time swallowing the price tags.  I ended up buying a dress from an online store and took the risk with liking it.  It was only $300 and I could return it if I didn't like it.  I loved it when it came in and started alterations.  Long story short, it was ruined in alterations so I went back to one of the original stores I went to in the beginning and found my dress!  I tried on about 10 this last time and it was the third to last one but I pretty miuch knew it was the one when I put it on.  My mom and one of my bridesmaids were with me and they both had huge smiles when I came out of the dressing room :)

I had a lot of fun and it was a really hard decision because all of them were so pretty.  I was so relieved to have found one that made me want to stop looking because I was starting to get worried that I would be looking forever!
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I only tried on 5 or 6 total.  My mom and I went just to figure out what silouettes I looked best in and to figure out what style.  She pulled an A line and it was the first one I tried on.  I kept telling myself not to fall in love with the first dress.  I tried on the others but didn't like the look or feel of them.  I ended up getting that first one after all.  The whole process was a lot easier than I expected.  Almost too easy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    had26had26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I think I tried about 30 or so.  Went to four different stores before finding the one.  I did put a dress on hold but so glad i did not go with that.  I am completely obsessed with my dress. Can't wait to try it on again!! It was definitely one of the funnest parts of this whole wedding process.
  • Options
    It was the first dress I ever tried on. I kept looking because I didn't believe it could be THE one. But even 3 years later when I finally ordered it I tried on even more dresses and it was still IT for me. I kept going back to it. So I ordered it in my size and haven't tried it on in over 3 years so I'm very nervous!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It was the first dress that I tried. It was a very strange feeling for me, \i did not recognize the person who was staring back at me in the mirror. I was there with onhe of my (former) bms, and knew that I could not make the decision without my mom... and she was at the vet's office. I tried on more dresses in the meantime, even went to another store, but I was comparing everything to the first dress. I finally got a hold of her, she rushed down and when my mom started crying I knew that it was a done deal.

Trying dresses on was okay, it was frustrating in a way because after I love the first one, the consultant at the store totally pigion holed me and was not alowing me to try on other shapes. Going the the second store there was horrific customer service. The consultant there brought me a dress that  was fully beaded down to my knees, then has this odd ruffled bottom, and she wouldn't let me take it off, she jsut kept telling me to stand there and admire it, this wzas her favourite dress, then some other mother in the store went on about how she wishes her daughter would have triedon that dress, with her daughter standing right there!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I tried on about 10 to 15 but I would've tried less if my Mom hadn't kept insisting on putting me in styles that I knew I didn't like. I went without my Mom to the 2nd store and my dress was the 2nd one I tried on. I'm so in-love with it that everyday, I hope the bridal salon calls me and tells me my dress is in! When I ordered it, they said it wouldn't come until April. :(

Dress shopping was so much fun. The 2nd store was a small boutique and we had the store and the owner to ourselves for the appointment. We had champagne mimosas and cookies. The owner who was an avid photographer on the side, took professional photos of me in my top pick dresses and sent me a slideshow to help me decide. This service is unheard of in the bridal gown industry and i'm glad she's making that leap to do it.
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    I tried on about 15 dresses, my dress was the 7th dress i tried on but I technically dont count the first 5 I tried on bc I was at Davids Bridal (nothing against the place) but I had just gone in with my sister & mom to narrow down what I liked and didnt like. So therefore my dress was the 2nd one I tried on, but my mom wasnt there so I went back and tried it on again, with going to another shop in between where I couldnt stop thinking about this dress, and found it for way cheaper and no sales tax (gotta love NJ). Even after that I think I tried on 2-3 more just to make sure plus I was already half naked in the dressing room so why not!!
    I think I went to 4 places altogether including DB.

The funnest part was putting on dresses I knew I would never wear just to see how ridiculous I would look.
  • Options

I went to three different dress store and tried on about 25 dresses.  I found my dress during my second trip shopping while I was with my matron of honor.  I still went to one more shop just to make sure the other dress was the one, and then had to go back to Davids bridal (where my dress is from) and try on a few more that my mom picked out because she wasn't ready for me to be done shopping yet :-)  My consultant was awesome and we pretended I didn't even have the other dress even though we both knew that it was "the One". 

Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I tried on probably over 30...I absolutely loved trying on the dresses. It was really fun when my girls and mom came with me.
    weddingpic
  • Options
    I tried on about 30 I think at 3 different stores.  One in my home town with my mom and dad.  I thought I had found THE ONE, but wanted to go to a couple other places with my sister and a BM. We went to DB and the only dresses I even liked a little where more expensive than I wanted to spend.  I went to another store, they place where my sister got her's actually.  Told the consultant the description of dresses that looked good on me and she pulled a couple that were close and then pulled the one I chose.  She said that she had thought of that dress first but didn't want to bring it too me because she thought it would be WAY out of my price range, but thankfully it ended up being the least expensive.  When my sister went to this same shop she told them the specifics of what she wanted and the pulled out the EXACT dress she described.  This was a fantastic shop!!!

I did have fun my sister and BM also tried on dresses that day too and we picked out a dress but I have changed my mind about them.  I loved them that day but now looking back, i actually hate them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I tried on 7 dresses. I went to DB not thinking I would find THE Dress, but it was dress #5 and I didnt want to take it off or try on the other 5 dresses still in the dressing room i hadnt tried on. I bought the dress that day. Because I didnt think I would find the dress at DB, i had previously set an appt with AA for the next day. I didnt plan on going, but my mom wasnt done with having me try on dresses, plus there was a dress I really liked online. Tried on the dress I liked online, Hated it, and they brought me one other dress to try (said it was the only one they had that was what I asked for). I liked it but felt like it was missing something, and it didnt top THE Dress I ordered the day before, so I left there feeling I had made the best decision for my dress.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    With my first wedding I went to over a dozen shops...at that time mermaid style was not popular and I had a hard time finding that type. I never got "the feeling" but I did find a dress with the qualities I was looking for. This time around I decided I was only go to two shops and I would pick something from them. I knew I didn't want anything big and was hoping to avoid strapless. I tried on about 15-20 between the two stores. Still never got "the feeling"...but I am happy with my choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards