Second Weddings
Options

wearing a full ball gown for 2 time around

It's both our second wedding. I feel so blessed to have found my soul mate. I truly want to embrace a beautiful wedding. I'm 39 and he's 34. Is it ridiculous of me to wear a pick up ball gown style dress? I love it and it looks gorgeous. My mother told me I'm being tacky because its my second time around. But I can't help my first husband died and I truly feel blessed to have found love again. Anyway, is it wrong to go formal the 2nd time around?

Re: wearing a full ball gown for 2 time around

• Options
    You can wear whatever you want that you feel beautiful in.  The only rule (for any bride) is to match the level of formality to the dress to the level of formality of the event.  So a big pouffy ballgown may not be suitable for a barefoot backyard BBQ-type wedding, but would be perfectly fine for something more formal than that.

It seems like a lot of people's mother's have something rude to say about dresses for second-time brides...they are wrong.

DSC_9275
  • Options

Is it ridiculous of me to wear a pick up ball gown style dress? I love it and it looks gorgeous.
    Huh.  I wouldn't call it ridiculous.  If it satisfies your taste and personal preferences, why not?  As PP said, as long as it matches the formality level of the event, I think you're good to go.

My mother told me I'm being tacky because its my second time around. 
    Tell your mom, as gently as possible (using words that are natural for you) to back off. 

Anyway, is it wrong to go formal the 2nd time around?
    No, it is not wrong to go formal the 2nd time around.  I have never been to a white tie wedding, but if that's what you and your fiance prefer, have at it!  We had a semi-formal affair; I wore a floor-length dress (not a ball gown, though) and H wore a tux.  It was perfect for us!

• Options
    Thank you for advice. I feel absolutely beautiful in the dress. I have come to the conclusion to not be so sensitive to.peoples comments about my wedding planning. Seems everyone has an opinion. Just do my thing, as long as my fiance and I love it, that's all that counts.
  • Options
    Oh yeah especially since Fi and I are paying ourselves 100
  • Options
    I'm wearing a formal dress for my second.  My first was me and my ex in my mother's living room with his parents and I wore a very plain and simple white linen sheath dress.  This time, I'm having the full on formal wedding with all the trimmings.  Like PPs said, it's your wedding so wear what you want.  Congrats!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thank you!!! I'm so excited. My mind is on a one way track right now. Nobody can knock me off of my cloud. This weekend were signing our reception contract and getting our rings. And I'm ordering the invites!!! Oh yeah!!!!
  • Options
    I'm going all out for my second because my heart tells me its my last! My first was in a courthouse with a maternity dress. His first a courthouse as well.  Neither of us had a real wedding persay so since its right this time we will have that. I'm excited :D and everyone can eat my dust for that.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is a third marriage for both of us. My first lasted only 3 months and I came home and found him in bed with a 15 yr old ( ya that was fun). My second was to my kids dad and we were married for 14 yrs when he died at 34 from cancer. My FI first wife died when they were 30 and his seconded marriage ended in divorce after 18yrs.
    We are having the wedding we both always wanted, big dress, all our friends and family, veil...everything. We want to celebrate the fact that no matter what we have been through we are starting a new life together and are very happy. So I think no matter what anyone says or thinks...what makes you happy and makes you feel beautiful is what is important.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wear the gown you want! I'm getting married on the beach with a backyard barbecue, but I'm wearing an Aline dress with a short train. I went to the store planning to get something tea length, but this was the dress that just seemed right. It was the one I felt like a bride in and the one I could picture standing on the beach saying vows in. If this ball gown is the one you tried on that made you feel that way...then that is your gown! :
  • Options
    Welcome to the board.

I agree with everyone else, wear what you want and have the wedding you want. It's FUN to be excited, to feel beautiful and look forward to an event you will remember forever, whether small or large.
  • Options
    Oyster color, sweetheart neckline, corset back dress I found today. 700 dress for 400!!! I love it! It's unique and funky just like me! Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • Options
    I agree with the other posters. You should wear what feels right to you. It seems like a lot of people are still under the notion that you can't wear the gown the second time around....or third :-). But I have come to realize that no one has a wedding without someone turning their nose up to at least one decision. So...be mindful about some aspects like what affects the comfort/convenience of your guests, wedding party, etc but don't bend over backwards trying to make sure that everyone agrees with everything you want. And your dress shouldn't be up for criticism to others. That doesn't have anything to do with them. You are the bride and you should wear whatever makes you feel like the bride. Congratulations on finding a dress that you love so much. :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Im wearing a "wedding dress." I got some, "this is your second time why ....." my response was this is my wedding not yours." I am wearing my dream dress.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    Definitely wear the ballgown if that's the dress you want!!  I hated the 'but it's your second wedding, why would you...' questions.  Umm.. maybe because I'm crazy in love with the man I was planning on marrying and wanted to make that day as special as he makes me feel? :)  

Have fun rocking the ballgown!!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    It's your wedding, do what you want.  I'm in my 30s and wearing a pick-up style ball gown.  I'm not even wearing white, it's blue.  It's my second, but his first, so I want it to be like a first for both of us.
  • Options

It's your wedding.  It's your dress.  It's your decision.  Don't let anyone put a damper on your happiness.  I didn't have a "wedding" the 1st time around.  So this time I have a beautiful A-line in WHITE!!!  Yes white.  And when my mother said something about it I told her it's my wedding not hers.  And since we are paying for it and not her then she doesn't get a say so.
    Have fun planning and enjoy your day.  You are very blessed to have found a second love.

image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wear whatever makes you feel most like a bride , this is mine and my FI second weddings and his first time was a huge wedding mine was very small no frills , so we decided to meet in the middle and have a semi formal wedding this time and i am getting a wedding dress this time ,  we are both in our mid 30's , and yes i have gotten that dreaded question also and i tell them the same as the others well im paying for it and since i didnt get to have one the first time, im blessed ti be having my dream wedding wth my prince this time .And i will proudly be wearing a ball gown wedding dress.
    Future Mrs.Wilber!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards