Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets

Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embarrassing-things-you-do-towith-your-pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8cb2bd47-1070-4c32-a54c-2eb8bd68e65aPost:d1e0808b-1a59-4e5d-b4cb-c391f43f478c">Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets</a>:
    [QUOTE]We also have T's and we tell Lulu that if she isn't good her older brothers and sisters are going to eat her. She just wags her tail and licks their aquariums.
    Posted by theDuckster[/QUOTE]
    HA! We just call NoName a fatty. He ate 4 LARGE roaches in 24 hours. It was insane! (He's a Birdeater, but only about a year old!)
  • Options
    Our vet is a cat person.  We told her that Spencer overeats and throws up.  She picked him up and said in thick Indian accent "Why do you do that, Spencer?  You have parents that love you and feed you.  Stop eating so much and throwing up.  They love you and will feed you again."

That is when I knew we had the best vet in the world.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embarrassing-things-you-do-towith-your-pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8cb2bd47-1070-4c32-a54c-2eb8bd68e65aPost:6563a52d-2f7d-4bef-ab97-7efef4f94080">Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets : HA! We just call NoName a fatty. He ate 4 LARGE roaches in 24 hours. It was insane! (He's a Birdeater, but only about a year old!)
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

I had to tell Slash to stop biting his cage because it was creeping me out but he doesn't listen. He's our problem child.
  • Options
    I always pretend my dog has really good taste. Like he would not want to eat a hot dog, he really prefers $8 cheese and sliced avocado. But really, no, he eats anything he can freaking find.

I also pick him and make him cuddle like a baby. He' s 65 pounds and hates it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh and Jett is either Ski, Harvey, Harv, Jettski, Bugaboo, Bugaboo Boxer Boy, Bug, Asshole, or Sweetheart. Never Jett. Poor guy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hand, your vet sounds amazing.

We talk to our cats all the time like they are people. Our little munchkin cat (Glinda) gets called 'PudgyButt' or 'Pudge' quite often because she is pretty pudgy. And she has to have her butt hair trimmed a lot cuz she's messy. 

Our vet's first name is Mei-yao. We think that is appropriate and awesome.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    We've given our dogs their own personalities. Emily (the Boston that's not in my siggy) is kind of fearful and a bit of a fun hater so she's become a right-wing Republican. We tell Lizzie her opinion doesn't count because she's from dirty Elgin (a trashy exurb of Chicago where her breeder was). My mom thinks it's horrifying that we would say something mean to our dog -- I'm pretty sure she genuinely believes they understand us.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I've danced around with my cats plenty, call them silly names, talk in a baby voice. All the normal cat lover things. 

They do react to my voice over the phone, so I have been known to call to 'talk' to them or leave voicemails Sealed
  • Options
    My cat Alex is a little overweight and doesn't like to stir himself to exercise so he has been dubbed 'Catpig'.

I taught Sammy to wink.

I have a motion sensor set up on my counter to keep Sammy from jumping up there and crack up every time he gets caught lol.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    We also joke that we don't actually have any dogs -- Emily is really a cat and Lizzie is really a pot-bellied pig. Based on their personalities it's really not that far off.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I talk to Whisky probably more than I talk to H. Tell him to have a good day, be good, ask if he had a good nap, tell him random stuff, ask if he want some treats.

Yeah, he's deaf. But in my defense he wasn't always deaf, so I just can't break the habit.
  • Options
    Whenever my ILs ask about us having kids I say something like "Are your fur grandchildren not enough?"  and pretend that the fur grandchildren will be hurt.

Also, my BILs/SILs bring their dogs everywhere.  It has gotten better but it still is bad when we go to the family lake house because, I'm sorry, I do not want to hang out with 2-3 dogs especially when one bites snaps and growls and people.  The other two are well behaved but the 3rd is a nightmare but they still bring it everywhere.  I always ask if we should bring the cats.  My MIL plays along and tell me how she doesn't have favorites or we should bring them.
  • Options
    We saw Spiderman last night and the entire way home, H and I did nothing but think of stupid questions Lulu would ask the villains if she had the chance. They were pretty hilarious and it ended with "No wonder she's never going to make it out of pre-school!"

I really wanted to give examples but I can't remember any now. Good job, Duck!
  • Options
    We narrate Lucy's life. Like, "Choopy (h's nickname for her) wants to go out and domain (stare at stuff from the baclony)" "Follow mommy! Follow mommy!" Or when she walks around and looks for her toys.  She just has a lot of expression in her face so it's easy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embarrassing-things-you-do-towith-your-pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8cb2bd47-1070-4c32-a54c-2eb8bd68e65aPost:3333e1d9-79d8-4200-897b-be269b0d8b77">Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets</a>:
    [QUOTE]We narrate Lucy's life. Like, "Choopy (h's nickname for her) wants to go out and domain (stare at stuff from the baclony)" "Follow mommy! Follow mommy!" Or when she walks around and looks for her toys.  She just has a lot of expression in her face so it's easy.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I do that too. Both dogs were taught to shake and Lulu thinks it's the answer to everything. Sometimes she punches Stryker in the face trying to get something from us by shaking so we pretend she's trying to start a fight. "Geeze, Big Doggie!. What's your problem?" "Get outta my way! I need Daddy's sock!"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embarrassing-things-you-do-towith-your-pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8cb2bd47-1070-4c32-a54c-2eb8bd68e65aPost:52374c72-59b7-444d-a4df-b543b2707337">Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets</a>:
    [QUOTE]We make Moose bark and turn circles before we put his food bowl down. We found that we have to get him really excited for him to keep any interest in it. I hide treats around the house. We hide his bone sometimes too. He gets SO mad if he can't find it and it's funny watching him investigate around the house. And everyone knows we make up ridiculous songs for him. Fluff in the Wind is my favorite - especially when he's sitting outside and the wind is blowing his fur.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>I sing "Outside Dog" (to the tune of Piano Man) to Cooper when it's time for him to go outside.</div><div>
    </div><div>Dooley gets "Dooley Dooley Dooley" (Money, by the O'Jays), Soft Kitty, and a whole host of other songs. He also gets the embarassing nicknames, such as Fluffybutt and Captain Snugglepants.</div><div>
    </div><div>I really like oldies. I like to dance around the living room with the cat.</div>
  • Options
    I meow with my cat and at my cat. She meows back.

I leave animal planet on for the dog when I leave the house. So he won't get lonely.
  • Options
    I talk baby talk to sasy all the time. Fi has coversations with her where they're meowing at each other. It's hilarious. We also refer to her as The Sassy, and when we do something she doesn't like, one of us will tell the other that we are breaking The Rules of The Sassy.
       She has a phobia about plastic bags and the noises they make, so we now refer to them as scary bags.Nicknames include sassy-puff, poppet, poppin, and flufflet. We also have little towellike nests for her in the office and the living room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    H and I both refer to ourselves as Mommy and Daddy to the animals. "Go show Daddy what you caught." "Mommy wants to give you a bath." "Please don't barf on Mommy's pillow...at least not while she's using it."
  • Options
    Glinda kitty also has a thing for my socks. But only certain ones: striped. So I leave them laying around for her on purpose. Cuz I loves loves loves her and it's hilarious when this tiny little furball is wrestling a sock. 
  • Options
    Yeah, we are totally "mama" and "dad" to Tory and Willow. Tory knows the names and will go and find either one of us when the other says "Go find ___!" or "Where's mama?" etc.

We also call our parents the grandparents and Tory has learned to get insanely excited when we say "Are we going to Grandmas?"

I have somewhat of a made up language when I talk to them. I really do just speak in nonsense half the time. For some reason I started calling them "roofas" and then I expand on that and just speak in weird words, basically.

Tory has always been the "shitbox" and Willow is the "shitnugget". Among a million other nicknames.

They also text friends and other friend's pets (Like X and Gator!)
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    When FI gets home I'll say "Daddy's home" and they both start barking. Now even FI can say it while he's sitting next to them and they bark too!
    Lizzie
  • Options

This... Isn't it pathetic?

I manic paniced the horse pink and glittered her hooves up.

I talk to the cats and answer for them, often. Ash is smart, he's well read, Pawkie is really dumb, Tim is a witch, the others are just cats.

• Options
    We do the momma, daddy thing too.

When FI gets home from work, I say "Daddy's home!" and the dog goes apeshiiit.  
  • Options
    Oh, I also tell them goodbye whenever I leave for work and remind them "No having friends over while Mommy is gone!"

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Whenever one of them do something bad we say "Your cat did XYZ." Like "Your cat threw up on the carpet, again."

I imagine this is what we will be like when we have kids.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah we are mommy and daddy too.  Omg.  We are so annoying at supper.  Lucy sits there looking up at us like she's ready to cry because we aren't giving her table scraps, so I'll narrate "Oh, Daddy, Mommy is so mean, she NEVER gives me ANY treats."
    panther
  • Options
    StefffiCStefffiC member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embarrassing-things-you-do-towith-your-pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8cb2bd47-1070-4c32-a54c-2eb8bd68e65aPost:a7e49f52-6690-43a7-b9d6-5656c9dfee48">Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whenever one of them do something bad we say "Your cat did XYZ." Like "Your cat threw up on the carpet, again." I imagine this is what we will be like when we have kids.
    Posted by HandBanana[/QUOTE]

DH has two cats that are 'his' - Pawkie and Cloud. Pawkie will lay next to him and stare at him with love in her eyes and purr for hours. I have two cats - Tim and Ash. The others belong to both of us and I only call them his cats when they're bad.

Ulitamately we both pay for the cats and we both care for all of the cats, it's just a matter of who loves whom more.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embarrassing-things-you-do-towith-your-pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8cb2bd47-1070-4c32-a54c-2eb8bd68e65aPost:b19eba1d-917f-4d2b-a25e-97a46d989910">Re: Embarrassing things you do to/with your pets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I also tell them goodbye whenever I leave for work and remind them "No having friends over while Mommy is gone!"
    Posted by SpartanCat[/QUOTE]

I picked this one up from a guy I dated.  When we would get back to his place, him and the roomie would quietly and slowly unlock and open the door.  Then let out a sign of disappointment.  They were hoping to catch the cat version of the picture dogs playing poker with their cats Max and Vito.
  • Options
    I talk to my cat, of course. I tell her how beautiful she is and that she's the most precious cat in the world and that she is so sophisticated and such a pretty lady. It's rather obnoxious. 

I hold her like we're dancing together, and then we waltz (literally) around the room while I sing "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" because her namesake sings that in The Sound of Music. 

If i get in front of her and make a kissy noise she licks the tip of my nose, so we do that pretty frequently. And I've gotten her to really enjoy that because now she'll do it without me prompting her, and sometimes she grab my face with her precious little paw and turn me towards her so she can lick my cheek or nose. It grosses H out, but I think it's adorable. 

I'm totally obsessed with my kitten :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards