Connecticut
Options

Unconventional bride

What's one thing you did throughout the planning phase that was not "normal?"

I tried on one dress...one dress...that's it....and bought it.  I didn't make an appointment, I saw it online, it was on sale, walked in the store and took it home.  My mom was pretty upset about it. 

Re: Unconventional bride

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did the same thing!!!!   I saw it in a magazine. The dress ladies brought a few others out and I tried another on first while they where locating the one I wanted but then they found it and it WAS the ONE. Put the deposit down and off I went! lol
  • Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a MOH.  I don't want one, frankly.  I don't have one best girlfriend, I'm not best friends with my one sister, and the girls in my wedding party are all loved and special to me.  I don't feel the need to honor one above and beyond the others.  My mom can't wrap her brain around that and makes snide remarks about it nonstop because she strongly feels it should be my sister.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:943fce7b-f3b6-41cd-9112-f0be0eca57e9">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have a MOH.  I don't want one, frankly.  I don't have one best girlfriend, I'm not best friends with my one sister, and the girls in my wedding party are all loved and special to me.  I don't feel the need to honor one above and beyond the others.  My mom can't wrap her brain around that and makes snide remarks about it nonstop because she strongly feels it should be my sister.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

<strong>Jenny's Mom:</strong> I really think you should have your sister be your Maid of Honor.  How come you just won't ask her?  It would be a really nice gesture.  I don't understand how you can't have a Maid of Honor.  It's practically mandatory in a wedding! 

<strong>Jenny:</strong> Mom, shove it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:01814515-81b8-4bb5-8852-58e8b1adbd64">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Jenny: Mom, shove it. 
    Posted by ZoeTheDog[/QUOTE]

Ouch talkin about momma's
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:7573a4a6-9fd3-4361-aced-5794b6b2cdcb">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unconventional bride : Ouch talkin about momma's
    Posted by KellyJayD[/QUOTE]

LOL I was just playing it out in my head...it was more of a comedy. 

Isn't it amazing how crazy mom's get with this wedding crap???  FMIL called FI last night at 10:30p asking how on EARTH is she going to wear her hair?!?!

Um...she has practically no hair...she has one of those standard "women over 60" haircuts.  And she freaked out at 10:30p on a random Tuesday about this???  Get a grip. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOLIi know it is funny the things people think of and randomly ask me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ughhh my mother didnt talk to me for two days because she thought that her friends should be at a table where I put my father's family...my wedding is not the place for you to "get back" at dad's family for whatever it is you hold a grudge for.

For a lot of things...I just didnt care. I had faith that everything would work out, and it did. I think some people got a little annoyed with how laid back I was.

MOH: "are you really sure you dont want to make a call on stockings? I think we should remind the girls that they shouldnt tan too much!"

Mom: "you're not going to make your bridesmaids all get the same nail color????"

...when we got the pictures back:

Me: "so mom, what color were the bridesmaids nails?"
    Mom: "shut up."
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having our JP ceremony in the AM on our favorite hiking trail (sun dress, dress #1), then we have our big PM ceremony with friends and family (traditional wedding dress, dress #2), and then we're doing a chinese tea ceremony before dinner (chinese red dress, dress #3).  So, definitely unconventional w/ the ceremonies AND the dresses. lol.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:b8c411b8-12d6-4502-825d-3177899f9e5e">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having our JP ceremony in the AM on our favorite hiking trail (sun dress, dress #1), then we have our big PM ceremony with friends and family (traditional wedding dress, dress #2), and then we're doing a chinese tea ceremony before dinner (chinese red dress, dress #3).  So, definitely unconventional w/ the ceremonies AND the dresses. lol.
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

i LOVE your idea of a private hiking ceremony! there are definately a few places i would have loved to have a private ceremony...
    Baby Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:8624777b-cb70-4d1a-855d-f34ea36208cc">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unconventional bride : i LOVE your idea of a private hiking ceremony! there are definately a few places i would have loved to have a private ceremony...
    Posted by melko4886[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alise!  Now we just have to cross our fingers for beautiful weather and no rain!!!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:7ca3086d-c80e-40bc-a1dd-8f16c8130062">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me: "so mom, what color were the bridesmaids nails?" Mom: "shut up."

LOVE IT. 

We should all write a play...or a Broadway musical.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with the first photographer we met with, Kim Hoyt.  We just clicked with her, loved her style and the packages were awesome.  I also only went dress shopping at one place and bought my dress the first day I looked.  I let my sister and stepsister pick out the BM dresses.  I only had three requirements: 1.) they could not be satin (satin in July at an outdoor wedding is not a good idea), 2.) they had to come in blue or green and 3.) be floor length.
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:0c0f368d-cf32-45e4-973e-ff960167d599">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unconventional bride : LOVE IT.  We should all write a play...or a Broadway musical.
    Posted by ZoeTheDog[/QUOTE]

ohhh i have a ton of one liners from my wedding planning phase...i just cant seem to think of any right now.
    Baby Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Omg Zoe hahahahahahaha!!!  Thank you for the laugh, I totally needed that.  There are times I would LOVE to tell my mom to shove it.  She's actually been pretty good about most of the wedding planning stuff but the MOH issue she just will. not. let. go.  Oh well, eventually it will be October 10th and the wedding will be long behind me :)
  • Options
    baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids and MOH keep asking me what shoes, what hairstyles, what jewelry, is this dress okay?  I. don't. care.  Wear what makes you happy.  Here's a color.  Go to town.  I picked the length and shade, they can do whatever the hell they want.

My sister/MOH asked me if she could cut her hair.  What?  Do what YOU WANT.  I could care less what your hairdo looks like!  I trust you not to look like an imbecile.  I don't need to be hovering over you for the next six months.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011

In addition to registering at BB&B, we are registered for.... *gasp* a honeymoon registry.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:7ca3086d-c80e-40bc-a1dd-8f16c8130062">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mom: "you're not going to make your bridesmaids all get the same nail color????" ...when we got the pictures back: Me: "so mom, what color were the bridesmaids nails?" Mom: "shut up."

Haha that's hilarious! Way to hold your ground Alise!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:7ca3086d-c80e-40bc-a1dd-8f16c8130062">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]" Mom: "you're not going to make your bridesmaids all get the same nail color????" ...when we got the pictures back: <strong>Me: "so mom, what color were the bridesmaids nails?"</strong> Mom: "shut up."

I just laughed out loud at this...amazing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:4b5c6b87-2849-4ff0-9c4b-a8820d754b74">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]In addition to registering at BB&B, we are registered for....<strong> *gasp* a honeymoon registry.</strong>
    Posted by crushme8602[/QUOTE]

Good for you! As I said in an earlier thread, I post a lot on the HM board but always feel awful for the girls who get ripped apart over having a honeymoon registry. It's ridiculous... if you think it's tacky that's fine but don't be down right cruel to the poor girl. They're becoming so popular that I bet in a few years no one will be blinking an eye at them.

I'm not doing one, but everyone I've talked to about it thinks they're a great idea especially if the couple already has established their home. Register for some upgrades around the home and then for a memorable trip. FI and I love to travel, so life time memories would mean so much more to us than a toaster or a blender.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Summer - I feel the same way.  I have no problem with a HM registry.  Honestly, if my bff or family member were getting married, had a lot of 'stuff' and really, really wanted the HM of her dreams, I want to help her make that a reality.  When else is someone going to be able to fly halfway around the world for 10 days, ya know?  I can understand that people don't like if the registry skims a percentage off the top, but they're a business and have the right to do that.  If you don't like it, throw some cash in a card.

/rant.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am skipping the bouquet & garter tosses.

The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All I can think of is when you said you should write your own musical is Monsters Inc:

Mike Wasowski: "Put that thing back where it came from...or so help me, so help me! so help me! GOODBYYEEE!"

The only 'non-normal' thing so far that I am doing is having no maid of honors, but men of honor WEE! I am very close with my two younger brothers, so that is what I have named them. And I'll probably register for the honeymoon registry lol. I've seen a lot of people do that recently so whatev!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:a805077f-2462-4fe2-b14f-b50d6d2e6cd4">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am skipping the bouquet & garter tosses.
    Posted by CTGirl30[/QUOTE]

Anyone else skipping this?  I am too. 
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i did a lot of "not normal" things, and i loved it!  *luckily* i have a mom who completely butted-out of my planning process!

BMs picked out their own dresses/shoes/everything!  i said navy blue and knee length and they took it from there.

i wore flip flops under my gown...the entire time.  don't get me wrong, i'm a stiletto-freak!  but not on my wedding day when i don't want my feet to hate me!

i had a champagne toast during the ceremony.  and it was awesome.

we didn't do a first dance, a garter, a bouquet toss...none of it!

we didn't even have a wedding cake!!!!!  we had a ben & jerry's sundae bar instead (and let me tell you, no one missed the cake!)

it was definitely a non-traditional wedding in a lot of aspects, but i wouldn't change a thing for the world!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    besides the fact that my wedding is based off of polka dots (tastefully, though, not insane)....

we're registering at Cabelas. no, seriously. we are.

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:7ca3086d-c80e-40bc-a1dd-8f16c8130062">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE] Mom: "you're not going to make your bridesmaids all get the same nail color????" ...when we got the pictures back: Me: "so mom, what color were the bridesmaids nails?" Mom: "shut up."

Hahahaha...this made my day!

I  told my bridesmaids the color and length of the dress I want and they get to decide what style they like. I have bridesmaids ranging from size 0 to 18 so it is only fair that they get to pick what looks good for their body type. For our introduction, FI and I are toying with having one of his Groomsmen sing "For those about to rock" by ACDC.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://connecticut.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:a805077f-2462-4fe2-b14f-b50d6d2e6cd4">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am skipping the bouquet & garter tosses.
    Posted by CTGirl30[/QUOTE]

Totally skipping this!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:4af861e7-3152-427a-a6bb-a125e7352f23">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]we're registering at Cabelas. no, seriously. we are.
    Posted by GracefulMeadow86[/QUOTE]

OMG...if it doesn't work out between you and your FI, my FBIL is available LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I told my BM the flowers that I wanted and told them to pick a dress out that matched it...  whatever color...  whatever length... whatever fabric.  They can pick how they want their hair and they can pick their own shoes.  The only thing I said about the shoes after they picked their dress (which is black) is I wanted their shoes to be colorful.

The other thing that we are talking about now is both of us staying at home the night before the wedding (aka FI not getting a hotel room the night before the wedding and me sleeping at home by myself).

I'm sure there will be more unconventional things, I just can't think of them now! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_unconventional-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:34237dd8-8db6-4442-9ba1-b66c761881eaPost:2f908e94-541f-4ec1-9e2b-28915ca8918c">Re: Unconventional bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]we didn't even have a wedding cake!!!!!  we had a ben & jerry's sundae bar instead (and let me tell you, no one missed the cake!) it was definitely a non-traditional wedding in a lot of aspects, but i wouldn't change a thing for the world!
    Posted by starrbuk13[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE to do this!!!  If our hall didn't include a cake we just might!!  FI actually said to me this weekend that he wanted to rent an ice cream truck to show up at 10:30 - 11:00 for a late night snack!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards