Kentucky
Options

wedding planner/coordinator

Hi, I recently got engaged about 2 weeks ago and I have to start planning our wedding for this coming July. I live in NY, my fiance lives in OH and his family lives in KY (which is where we will be having our wedding). We wanted to hire a planner/coordinator to help us. I was hoping to get some advice or suggestions as to what I should look for and ask the wedding planner when we meet. I've searched for wedding planner "checklists" and some are helpful but i was hoping for more insight...Any pointers?

Re: wedding planner/coordinator

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What part of Kentucky will your wedding be in?  That will influence suggestions a lot. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, It will be in Lexington, KY. Unfortunately, Im not very familiar with the area and wedding planning...so I was hoping for some sugestions and/or ideas about what to look for in a wedding planner. I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer :)
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    No problem.  Mine is about 20 minutes from Lexington, so I've got a bunch of research done in that general area.  I'm not using a DOC personally, but I think I have some info on some in the Lexington area.  I'll pull some things together today/tomorrow and get back to you.  In the interim, maybe some of the other KY ladies will chime in. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you soooo very much I appreciate any help that i can get :) I actually have a conference call today with a wedding planner and I hope it goes well :/ If you do not mind me asking, do you have a trusted video andphotographer that you used or know well? Thanks again for your help!
  • Options
    PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There are some very good planners in Lexington.

Brandan Gravitt (The Bride's Assistant)
    Alicia DeBoor and Deanna Dillender (Great Expectations)

As far as a trusted photographer, Shaun Ring gets my vote.

And if you haven't looked at www.kevinmoreland.com, it is a VERY complete list of Lexington (and surrounding areas) vendors.

If you want, email me at sugarcoatedalmondbliss@yahoo.com, and I'll discuss further.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll vote for Shaun too.
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    My photographer is out of Louisville (Bella Grace Studios).  A lot of Louisville photogs will do Lexington weddings - including mine.  We did e-pics earlier, some of which are in my bio.  Also, his blog has several Lexington weddings. 

As far as videographers, I talked to a lot, but the ones I liked were out of my budget.  We're going to have a family friend operate the camera and I'll edit the video.  I did research on wedding wire and craig's list for that.  Here are a couple that I liked best:
    www.SomethingBlueWeddingVideos.com
    http://www.classicpixels.com/

For planners, since I didn't interview any, I can't give you personal recs.  However, here's the listing from WeddingWire:  LINK

Regarding what to talk to the planner about:
    overall budget, how the planner gets paid, if they have any bias toward specific vendors, etc.  Things they should be able to help with:  venues, photogs, videographers, cake bakers, caterers, seamstress (alterations), flowers, celebrants, etc.  They may also help with invites and other paper goods, websites, etc., but those are things you can likely do yourself at a distance much easier.

Once you talk to them, feel free to post back here with their ideas for venues & vendors & some of the locals can share what they know about those. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards